Press Scores

george14

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Since a select group of people thinks this was some massive robbery, lets make a list of how it was scored. This was just a quick search. Feel free to add.

Dan Rafael ESPN 115-112 Golovkin
Brian Campbell ESPN 114-114
LA Times 114-113 Golovkin
Lederman HBO 114-113 Golovkin
The Guardian 115-112 Golovkin
Telegraph 114-114
CBS 114-114
Bloody Elbow 115-112 Jacobs
AP 114-113 Golovkin
Boxing Scene Golovkin 114-113
BadLeftHook Golovkin 114-113
Bloody Elbow (Fraser Coffeen) Golovkin 114-113
The Ring Magazine (Douglas Fischer) 115-112 for Golovkin.

Not sure what some people were conplaining about.

Fischer said more than that, actually.

BLH conducted a poll. Here's what it looks like at the moment. It's likely to favor Golovkin given his style, which should be noted.

I need to watch the fight again but my initial impression was that Jacobs edged Golovkin last night.

Its fair to think Jacobs edged it but i personally think people were giving him rounds. because he didnt get ko'd

Watched it again now I have it even but GGG got the KD

I don't think a fighter can say he got robbed when he was landing single digit punches in the first 3 rounds then got dropped in the 4th.

Disagree, more likely to favour Jacobs being American with a good style himself but moreso because he was the underdog who performed much better than expected.

Could be. Jacobs is American and Bad Left Hook is an American website. Golovkin's style is more fan-friendly though and I just put it out there that some perhaps voted based on liking him more.

Not sure what some people were conplaining about.
Some people like to score fights themselves at home and not depend on the opinions of the press or anyone else to make up their minds.

Aside from Lederman, who is almost universally viewed as a bit inept, all of those guys are just fight fans like us.

Some people like to score fights themselves at home and not depend on the opinions of the press or anyone else to make up their minds.

Aside from Lederman, who is almost universally viewed as a bit inept, all of those guys are just fight fans like us.

First off, I scored it 115-112 for Golovkin but can see there were some close rounds. I also acknowledge he dropped DJ, out threw, out landed, higher percentage, and controlled the fight with his jab. People were giving DJ pity rounds in my mind. Much like Maidana-Floyd and Kovalev-Chilemba because they expected an ass kicking.

Personally i trust press scores because they are put out to the public by credible people. Sure some are bad. But when you are just a fanboy posting scores, it doesn't hold as much weight because its not out there being broadcasted to people.

I really don't see how Jacobs won. But I'm not hating on someone scoring it 114-113 for him maybe. I just think GGG was the rightful winner along with much of the press.

First off, I scored it 115-112 for Golovkin but can see there were some close rounds. I also acknowledge he dropped DJ, out threw, out landed, higher percentage, and controlled the fight with his jab. People were giving DJ pity rounds in my mind. Much like Maidana-Floyd and Kovalev-Chilemba because they expected an ass kicking.

Personally i trust press scores because they are out on to the public by credible people. Sure some are bad. But when you are just a fanboy posting scores, itndoesn't hold as much weight because its not out there being broadcasted to people.

I really don't see how Jacobs won. But I'm not hating on someone scoring it 114-113 for him maybe. I just think GGG was the rightful winner along with much of the press.

The beauty of the way @Seano sees this stuff is pretty refreshing. Rather than trust anyones scoring he makes up his own mind and sticks to it. The thing is he accepts the judges results and realizes that how he or anyone else scored the fight really doesn't matter. You can score it exactly how he does and favor skill over aggression or do the exact opposite and use damage inflicted as the biggest criteria. In the end it doesn't really change anything.

So many people here get so upset when a judge or even just some random poster doesn't see it how they do. It's pretty silly.

Dougie with that fan boy "journalism."

That was from his personal Twitter account. Most "journalists" in combat sports today are biased. Fischer is a full member of the BWAA, not just an editor for The Ring. Then again, so is Fat Dan (BWAA full member) but my point still stands.

Press row is full of retards like Fat Dan and Steve Kim, could care less about press row, and GGG is the darling of casuals, the same assholes who thought Pac won and Mayweather just ran. About as credible as compubox's ridiculous "stats".

That was from his personal Twitter account. Most "journalists" in combat sports today are biased. Fischer is a full member of the BWAA, not just an editor for The Ring. Then again, so is Fat Dan (BWAA full member) but my point still stands.
Now I'm curious as to what BWAA means.

Personally i trust press scores because they are put out to the public by credible people. Sure some are bad. But when you are just a fanboy posting scores, it doesn't hold as much weight because its not out there being broadcasted to people.

I had it 116-111 Jacobs during the fight but acknowledged one round that I gave to Jacobs that I should have given to GGG.

As for the press thing, I have to disagree. These guys are just bloggers who like boxing. They just make a living off of being fans. I'm not sure what it is that gives Dan Rafael more knowledge than me or other guys who have been studying the sport all of our lives. Is Brian Campbell a pro athlete? A trainer? Whats he know?

The beauty of the way @Seano sees this stuff is pretty refreshing. Rather than trust anyones scoring he makes up his own mind and sticks to it. The thing is he accepts the judges results and realizes that how he or anyone else scored the fight really doesn't matter. You can score it exactly how he does and favor skill over aggression or do the exact opposite and use damage inflicted as the biggest criteria. In the end it doesn't really change anything.

So many people here get so upset when a judge or even just some random poster doesn't see it how they do. It's pretty silly.
{<redford}

Scoring is pretty subjective. I try to remind myself of that every time I feel like calling someone on a scorecard.

Offensive fighters always seem to have super emotional fans, for some reason. Kovalev, Pacquiao, Golovkin.... after every fight, there's some dude telling everyone how much more they know about boxing than they do, then they post a bunch of nonsense and disappear until the next time the one boxer he watches fights.

Now I'm curious as to what BWAA means.

Boxing Writers Association of America. Full members can vote annually on FOTY for the Sugar Ray Robinson Award. Since the 90s they also now vote on FOTD (Fighter of the Decade). It was RJJ in the 90s and in the 2000s it was Pac. Fighter of the Decade from 2010 onward will be voted on in 2019.

Boxing Writers Association of America. Full members can vote annually on FOTY for the Sugar Ray Robinson Award. Since the 90s they also now vote on FOTD (Fighter of the Decade). It was RJJ in the 90s and in the 2000s it was Pac. Fighter of the Decade from 2010 onward will be voted on in 2019.
What the fuck is this thread? Sincerely everybody.

Back