President Trump's Muslim ban excludes countries linked to his sprawling business empire

Diamond Jim

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
President Trump’s most recent executive ordereffectively bans citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the U.S. for at least 90 days — but some Muslim countries were spared from the order's blacklist, even though they have deep-seated ties to terrorism.

Conspicuously, Trump doesn't hold any business interests in any of the countries on the list, but holds major stakes in several of those excluded from it, records show.

Friday’s executive order, signed at the Pentagon, suspends the issuing of U.S. visas or travel permits to people from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nyda...ed-businesses-article-1.2957956?client=safari

SAUDI ARABIA

Trump registered eight companies tied to hotel interests in the country shortly after launching his campaign in August 2015, according to The Washington Post. The companies were registered under such names as THC Jeddah Hotel and DT Jeddah Technical Services; company names The Post reported bore striking resemblance to ones Trump has registered in other foreign countries.

During a campaign rally in Alabama last year, Trump expressed his admiration for the Saudis.

“They buy apartment from me,” he said. “They spend $40 million, $50 million. Am I supposed to dislike them? I like them very much.”

Those comments could cock a few eyebrows, since most of the 9/11 attackers were from Saudi Arabia.

Further, a declassified U.S. intelligence report known as the “28 pages” claims the Saudi government and its wealthy citizens actively funded Muslim radicalism through mosques and charities in the U.S. around the time of 9/11 attacks. The 19 hijackers were in close contact with Saudi nationals before carrying out the terror attack, which became the worst one in U.S. history.

TURKEY

Trump currently licenses his name to two luxury towers in the Turkish capital Istanbul.

He received as much as $5 million from the deals last year, according to his latest financial disclosures. Furthermore, since the election, Trump’s development partner, Dogan Sirketler Grubu Holding, has seen its shares surge by nearly 11%.

Meanwhile, Turkey is a hotbed for terrorist activities, with the State Department issuing a travel alert advising U.S. citizens not to travel to the country because of “increased threats from terrorist groups” just this Wednesday.

“An increase in anti-American rhetoric has the potential to inspire independent actors to carry out acts of violence against U.S. citizens,” the alert states.

EGYPT

In Egypt, Trump’s business holdings are characteristically vague. His latest Federal Election Commission filing lists two companies in the country, Trump Marks Egypt and Trump Marks Egypt LLC, both of which are most likely connected to a development venture.

The State Department, meanwhile, strongly discourages Americans from traveling to Egypt since “terrorist attacks can occur anywhere” due to the presence of ISIS-affiliated groups.

Egyptian citizens killed a total of 162 Americans between 1975 and 2015.

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

The Trump Organization has a licensing and management deal in Dubai for two golf courses and a whole neighborhood of luxury villas currently under construction. The second golf course was designed by Tiger Woods.

Trump has traveled frequently to the Middle Eastern nation with his daughter, Ivanka, and the two have been seen in numerous photographs over the years, playing golf and shaking hands with affluent sheiks.

While the UAE ranks as the sixth richest country in the world, a widespread presence of ISIS- and Al Qaeda- affiliated groups persists in the area and poses a serious threat to American citizens, according to the State Department.

“Both historical and current information suggest that the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), al-Qaida, and affiliated organizations continue to plan attacks against Western targets,” states a safety notice on the department’s website, using alternate spellings for the groups.

A total of 314 Americans were killed by UAE citizens between 1975 and 2015, according to CATO.

In addition to Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates, President Trump holds extensive business interests in the Muslim majority nations of Indonesia and Azerbaijan. Both have documented ties to Islamic terrorism — yet neither is included on the executive order's blacklist.

I guess it's just a coincidence.

its not a coincidence, its a logical occurrence.

he is banning war zones and not places that are too powerful to ban. he has banned about 12.2% of the muslim world.

I, for one, am totally shocked.

Pretty sure Raytheon, Lockheed, Boeing, Grumman Northrop, etc would all shit a brick in they cut off Saudis from being able to visit. Also should note that Egypt, UAE, Turkey, Qatar all make the top 15 countries the US has a trading surplus with.

So, the ban is obviously lip service to his voting block -- but it is only going to apply to useless muslim countries. But, let's not make the narrative that only Trump has vested business interests in those countries.

Dissappointing. Still, a step in the right direction is better than a step backward.

Guess it's better to not ban ANY countries right?

Trump is just playing politics by trying to appear as if he's doing what he promised.

If Trump had put Saudi Arabia on the list I would've given him credit for having the balls to do it.

Dissappointing. Still, a step in the right direction is better than a step backward.
Yeah blatant corruption sure is a "Step forward". Jesus christ we are a nation of abject morans.

I'll shit on Trump when he deserves it. This bitch was born and raised in Pakistan, but also lived in Saudi Arabia. After their rampage, that's when Trump gave his infamous "Ban Muslims entering". Except now he left out both Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, which show's he's either playing politics, or looking to take it one step at a time. Having his interests in those countries greatly undermines his ability what's necessary. That is a concern.

On the other hand, not taking tens of thousands refugees from Syria like Europe, Lybia, and other shitholes on fire is a right step forward. Those roaches have no business living in the U.S.

2F36F57F00000578-3356832-image-a-1_1449878012333.jpg

Last edited:
And there you have it folks, this is the reason why there are laws in place to eliminate conflicts of interest for presidents.

I knew it was super fishy that the ban didn't include countries where the 9/11 attackers came from. Basic logic would put those countries on the list first.

I'm one of those liberals that acknowledges the problem of Islam and think people have every right to be concerned, so immigration bans may very well be called for. But it's mind numbing to fail to include countries with known terrorism! We know for sure the ban is incomplete.

And we should all be deeply concerned that Trump is incapable of doing the right thing due to conflicts of interest.

And there you have it folks, this is the reason why there are laws in place to eliminate conflicts of interest for presidents.

I knew it was super fishy that the ban didn't include countries where the 9/11 attackers came from. Basic logic would put those countries on the list first.

I'm one of those liberals that acknowledges the problem of Islam and think people have every right to be concerned, so immigration bans may very well be called for. But it's mind numbing to fail to include countries with known terrorism! We know for sure the ban is incomplete.

And we should all be deeply concerned that Trump is incapable of doing the right thing due to conflicts of interest.

To be fair to Trump, the liberal outcry and America's negotiating stance would be weakened with those "allies" if he outright banned every Muslim. Look at how bunched up libs are now?

It's a good start to at least put countries that don't have stable governments and ongoing revolutions in their countries. Anything more than that liberals would be self immolating on the streets (not a bad thing, but that's what could happen).

If ISIS started tweeting nice things at Trump and offered him a sweet real estate deal you'd be hearing about how they're strong nationalists promoting family values.

"Raqqa has amazing people. Absolutely incredible. Crown jewel of the Middle East, believe me."

He basically didn't ban countries with which the US needs to maintain a good diplomatic relationship, and I doubt he made the choices himself but had advisers telling him he couldn't afford to ban certain countries. It's not realistic at all that you could ban the entire Muslim world. But I'm not surprised that democrats are whining because he didn't reach a 100% ban, which you know very well won't happen.

To be fair to Trump, the liberal outcry and America's negotiating stance would be weakened with those "allies" if he outright banned every Muslim. Look at how bunched up libs are now?

It's a good start to at least put countries that don't have stable governments and ongoing revolutions in their countries. Anything more than that liberals would be self immolating on the streets (not a bad thing, but that's what could happen).
You're basically blaming liberals for Trump not banning his business partners. Man, if there's one country everyone (left, right, whatever) should be worried about it's Saudi Arabia.

But if Trump is in bed with them it's no problem of course.

its not a coincidence, its a logical occurrence.

he is banning war zones and not places that are too powerful to ban. he has banned about 12.2% of the muslim world.
Within his first week...still a lot of banning left!

giphy.gif

Oh come on.

Saudi Arabia = ally and large client of arms industry

Turkey = Nato ally

Eypt - US ally

The question to me is why Morocco and Algeria are not on the list.

Oh come on.

Saudi Arabia = ally and large client of arms industry

Turkey = Nato ally

Eypt - US ally

The question to me is why Morocco and Algeria are not on the list.

He does not know they are muslim lol, probably.

Back