President Trump vs. The MSM: Sean Spicer say mistakes undermine the credibility of the press

Spicer, the new sheriff, shakes up the White House press room. How refreshing.
By Tim Graham
January 23, 2017

1024x1024.jpg

At his first White House briefing, Trump press secretary Sean Spicer drew nervous tweets from the liberal media for calling on sources outside their comfort zone. He didn’t start with the usual alphabet: AP, ABC, CBS, NBC. He started with the New York Post, whose representative asked him when Trump would start building that wall he promised on the southern border.

New York Times reporter Michael Grynbaum tweeted within minutes: “Priorities, Day 1: Spicer calls on NY Post, CBN, Univision, Fox News. So far top newspapers & broadcast networks shut out.”

CNN media reporter Brian Stelter was wowed: “He's literally AND symbolically going over the heads of the reporters from the biggest newspapers and TV networks.”

Spicer eventually came around to the front row. But this was a really refreshing start to the Trump press policy.

When I was a White House correspondent for the Christian weekly news magazine World in 2001 and 2002, I knew that those of us back in Row 7 were going to be lucky to get a question in minute 44 of a 45-minute briefing. This is the order the major media expect, even in Republican administrations -- a caste system, where the "prestigious" press outlets hog the spotlight.

Instead, Spicer popped all over the room, to the back rows, to the people standing on the sides, and then back to the elite media.

This may not last, but it suggests a different approach.

After the briefing, CNN’s Jake Tapper insisted he was “not griping,” but insisted normally, for “decades,” the Associated Press had the tradition of the first question. This would be the same AP that just quoted disgraced former CBS anchorman Dan Rather as Spicer’s chief critic.

Tapper said “The Associated Press is an organization a lot of newspapers, news organizations use. It’s considered impartial, down the middle. He did not call on Associated Press first. He did call on them, but he didn’t call on them first, second, third, or fourth. He called on The New York Post – which is, I think it’s fair to say, Donald Trump’s favorite newspaper.”

Using Tapper’s logic, would it then be odd for Obama to start with The New York Times, which might be Obama’s favorite newspaper? Especially when Tapper’s CNN colleague Jeff Zeleny – then with the Times – asked Obama at the end of his first 100 days what “enchanted” him as president.

Minutes late, CNN anchor Brooke Baldwin questioned former Bush White House spokesman Ari Fleischer with smirking condescension: “Listen, I’m all for bucking tradition and calling on different people. But the fact that Sean chose the New York Post to get the very first question, care to comment on that?” Fleischer acknowledged he and his boss observed the liberal-media tradition, but Trump is “entitled” to make changes. “Nothing is sacrosanct. It’s not written in stone.”

In my White House briefing days, and today, the liberal majority in the White House press corps think conservative media are going to ask softball questions to Republican press secretaries. But often – like the New York Post today – they end up pressing Republicans about their campaign promises to Republican voters, something liberal reporters will lobby to stop from happening.

When I had a spot in the press room all those years ago. I asked Fleischer questions about whether the Bush administration was waffling to the left on issues, and whether they were working effectively with congressional Republicans on confirmations.

Liberal reporters could define those answers from the president’s spokesman as “news” just as much as their own favorite issues or controversies.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017...up-white-house-press-room-how-refreshing.html

Last edited:
Give it another few months and the press will fully hone in on who the fraudulent sources are and what to be avoiding. Chances are Trumpkins are feeding lies to them to get them to report them.

Patience people.... took us about 5 1/2 years to realize how utterly horrendous Bush was. We already realize how bad Trump is and he just walked into office.
This is a nice way of looking at it.

This is a nice way of looking at it.
We've already confirmed this actually. The press is aware at least at this point that their "sources" are really just intending on getting them to report lies so Trumpco can feed the real scoop to Breitbart and embarrass the MSM.

Sean Spicer's media diversity play
Trump's press secretary expands the range of questioners
By Hadas Gold
01/23/17

At his first daily briefing as presidential press secretary, Sean Spicer didn't bawl out the media, like he did during Saturday's explosion about crowd estimates at the inauguration. But he had a message nonetheless: No longer will the biggest mainstream outlets get preferential treatment.

Unlike on Saturday, when most of the media felt his tirade was inappropriate, Spicer’s performance on Monday was greeted warmly, though at times warily. Many reporters applauded the end of the tradition of giving special attention to the front row where major outlets like the Associated Press and the television networks sit. But others noted that many of the smaller outlets he called upon are conservative-leaning.

"Props to Spicer for taking questions from reporters all over this room,” The Huffington Post’s Jennifer Bendery tweeted.

But the conservative Washington Free Beacon was cheering for a different reason: “Spicer Gives First Three Questions as White House Press Sec. to Conservative-Leaning Journalists,”it blared in a headline.

Other reporters pointed out that Spicer was calling on reporters working for Rupert Murdoch, whose empire includes numerous conservative-leaning shows and newspaper editorial pages.

Spicer’s first four questions were to outlets that only occasionally, if ever, get exposure at a high-profile briefing: The New York Post (owned by Murdoch), Christian Broadcasting Network, Univision and Fox Business (Murdoch again).

When Spicer asked for a question from Blake Burman, of Fox Business, the reporter had to call out from the back of the room where he was standing. (Sister network Fox News has a front row seat.)

“Back here, Back here,” Burman called out after Spicer named him from his list but couldn’t seem to find him initially among the seated reporters.

Burman asked whether President Donald Trump was “moving the goal posts” on his pledge to reduce corporate taxation.

The front row didn't get called on until question number six, with the Associated Press, typically among the first questioners, asking about possible joint action with Russia in Syria. By the end of the briefing most of the front row got questions in, along with a wide variety of outlets both domestic and foreign. But the statement remained: This time, at least, smaller outlets got to go first.

For years, some reporters and White House operatives have complained about how the reporters in the front row asks all the questions and, because they’re often from the television world, turn the event into theater instead of a substantial question and answer session. And on that score, many were cheered by Spicer’s support for smaller outlets.

"I was pleased to get the second question of the first press briefing,” said Jennifer Wishon, White House correspondent for the Christian Broadcasting Network, which has had a designated seat in the back of the briefing room since 2009. "As someone who sits on the back row, it was nice to see Sean Spicer take questions from around the room instead of calling on just a few reporters beyond the first three rows.”

Wishon asked whether Trump reinstating the policy banning U.S. funding for groups that provide abortions overseas is seen as “an American value” and whether pro-life Americans expect him to put his signature on legislation that will defund Planned Parenthood.

Spicer also announced a new initiative to further expand the briefing room, installing several “Skype seats” meant for reporters 50 miles or more away form Washington D.C. who might not otherwise be able to travel to the White House for the daily briefing. (NBC “Meet the Press” host Chuck Todd actually made this suggestion to Poynter last week).

Spicer even managed to garner some guarded praise from Democrats.

"In contrast to Saturday's screed, he was very composed, delivered information, answered questions and shared the president's thinking on a variety of issues,” said David Axelrod, former top adviser to former President Barack Obama, in an email.

Even former Hillary Clinton spokesman Nick Merrill had a positive word, though he criticized reporters for not pushing harder.

"I hate to say this, but @seanspicer is holding his own. Needs to be pushed harder or his outright lies on Saturday will stand, & continue,” Merrill tweeted.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/sean-spicer-media-diversity-234084

Last edited:
AP is better than all of those other news outlets, but with that said, getting the first question seems like a strange tradition.

I thought the left would be embracing diversity.

In briefing, frustrated Trump slams Democrats, leaks, media
By Ashley Parker and John Wagner
February 16, 2017

President Donald Trump on Thursday aired his grievances against the news media, the intelligence community and his detractors generally in a sprawling, stream-of-consciousness news conference that alternated between claims that he had ‘‘inherited a mess’’ and the assertion that his fledgling administration ‘‘is running like a fine-tuned machine.’’

‘‘To be honest, I inherited a mess,’’ Trump said, in a news conference that lasted more than an hour and was at times rambling, combative and pointed. ‘‘It’s a mess. At home and abroad, a mess. Jobs are pouring out of the country.’’

Yet moments later, the president seemed to acknowledge the widespread reports of turbulence and upheaval emanating out of his West Wing, only to claim that his White House - which so far has been marred by staff infighting, a controversial travel ban, false statements and myriad leaks - was operating seamlessly.

‘‘I turn on the TV, open the newspapers and I see stories of chaos - chaos,’’ he said. ‘‘Yet it is the exact opposite. This administration is running like a fine-tuned machine, despite the fact that I can’t get my Cabinet approved.’’

Asked about recent reports that Mike Flynn, his former national security adviser who resigned Monday evening, had improperly discussed Russian sanctions with the Russian ambassador to the United States before Trump was sworn in, the president defended Flynn as a ‘‘fine person,’’ saying he had done nothing wrong in engaging the Russian envoy.

But, Trump said, Flynn had erred by misleading government officials, including Vice President Pence, about his conversations, which is why the president ultimately demanded his resignation.

‘‘He didn’t tell the vice president of the United States the facts,’’ Trump said. ‘‘And then he didn’t remember. And that just wasn’t acceptable to me.’’

Trump made clear he had no problem with Flynn discussing the sanctions imposed on Moscow by the Obama administration with the Russian ambassador even if he was not directly told to do so by Trump, saying it was Flynn’s job to reach out to foreign officials.

‘‘No, I didn’t direct him, but I would have directed him if he didn’t do it,’’ he said.

Trump was asked several times about whether his campaign had contact with Russia and grew testy as reporters pushed him for a yes-or-no answer.

He said he certainly hadn’t and that he was not aware of such contacts during the campaign.

‘‘I can tell you, speaking for myself, I own nothing in Russia,’’ Trump said. ‘‘I have no loans in Russia. I don’t have any deals in Russia. President Putin called me up very nicely to congratulate me on the win of the election. He then, called me up extremely nicely to congratulate me on the inauguration, which was terrific. But so did many other leaders, almost all other leaders from almost all of the country. So that’s the extent.’’

Trump also used the questions to press his case that the United States would be well-served by a better relationship with Russia and to mock his Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton, for her efforts to ‘‘reset’’ the relationship between the two countries while she was secretary of state.

Trump derisively referred to that ‘‘stupid plastic button that made us all look like jerks,’’ a reference to the red ‘‘reset’’ button that Clinton presented to the Russian foreign minister early in the Obama administration.

The news conference was ostensibly billed as a chance for Trump to announce his new pick to head the Labor Department - Alexander Acosta, who would be the first Latino in Trump’s Cabinet - after Andrew Puzder, his original choice, withdrew from consideration Wednesday amid mounting opposition on Capitol Hill. But for one hour and 17 minutes, the president offered the verbal equivalent of the brash and impetuous early morning tweets that have become the alarm clock for much of Washington, taking aim at everything from ‘‘illegal immigrant violence’’ to the ‘‘criminal leaks’’ within his intelligence community.

Trump said he would use his remarks to bypass the ‘‘dishonest media’’ and speak directly to the American people about the ‘‘incredible progress’’ his administration has made.

‘‘The media is trying to attack our administration because they know we are following through on pledges we made, and they’re not happy about it for whatever reason,’’ he said.

Though the president began on a subdued, almost melancholy note, looking down repeatedly to read from prepared remarks on his lectern, he became more fiery and animated - joyful, even - when he began to banter and joust with the assembled reporters. At times, he seemed to reprise some of his favorite themes from the campaign trail, complaining about Clinton and criticizing President Barack Obama’s policies, from his Affordable Care Act to his failed reset with Russia.

Trump repeatedly lambasted the ‘‘fake news’’ media - which at one point he upgraded (or downgraded) to the ‘‘very fake news’’ media - while promoting some dubious claims and fake news of his own.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/na...-conference/eHrQlhkDEOt6Z4lDrkTX1N/story.html

The Democrat media's completely dishonest descriptions of press conferences anone can watch for themselves really doesn't help their cause.

"The president stumbled into a drunken crazzeeed rant ranging from aimless rambling to stupified hamfisted stuttering".

Enter a clip of him nonchalantly swatting dumbfounded CNN trolls aside to get to real questions.

They rely very heavily on the read-title-believe-title crowd.

I wish this graph went back to the 70's, when trust in the media was 70+, just so we could look and see just how far these institutions have fallen in the publics eye.

In fact, I wish a few of the professional victims in the MSM would look at that, and stop blaming social media and fake news for that downfall, and instead take a look at themselves. I mean the stockholders, the board, the executive level, all the way down to the editors, and press themselves, because it has been a systemic failure to go from 70%+ approval to 32%.

Meh

Trump is the definition of fake news

He sits there and makes shit up, anyone who argues is fake news

His moron supporters follow him

Anyone who is a trump fan at this point has a memory of a gold fish.

I mean he literally makes shit up, someone says hey that isn't true, then he says you are fake news and his inbred idiotic followers trust him

The media doesn’t call the shots — Trump does
By Michael Goodwin
February 19, 2017

trumpmedia.jpg

The media smart set fixates on creating a narrative that explains the big picture of events and offers gripping examples. In that spirit, then, here’s a narrative to help them understand President Trump’s recent burst of activity:

He’s serving notice that he, and not the media, sets the nation’s agenda. And that when journalists behave like opponents, he will treat them like opponents, punching back harder than they punch him.

That’s the meaning of the president’s epic press conference Thursday and his tour of the Boeing plant in South Carolina and Saturday’s rally in Florida. As Milton Friedman said in another context, everything else is detail.

The catalyst for Trump’s campaign-like barnstorming was that, after a rough week in which Democrats in Congress picked up the loony left’s impeachment mantle, the president’s team looked outgunned and outmaneuvered. The emerging media narrative was that the White House was in chaos, riven by infighting, leaks, an unhappy president and an unhappier first lady.

Trump knows better than most that perception, even if it’s wrong, can quickly harden into accepted fact. He sensed danger and decided to take matters into his own hands.

Nobody speaks for Trump better than Trump, which is not always a virtue. But Thursday, he made a wise game-day decision to do his solo version of a reset.

The official business was to announce his new nominee for secretary of labor, a choice that was well-received by the few outlets where it wasn’t ignored because of the media punch-palooza that followed. (A good trivia question: Name the new guy!)

The president was deliberate in making his points, talking for more than 20 minutes about what he’s done to keep his campaign promises and how he’s unfairly depicted.

His impressive litany of action includes canceling the Asian-Pacific trade deal, green-lighting two pipeline projects and jawboning firms like General Motors and Walmart to spend and hire. He boasted of his 55 percent approval rating in a poll and of the booming stock market.

He talked about rebuilding the military, hosting leaders from Japan, Israel, Canada and Great Britain, strengthening borders and immigrant vetting, targeting the Islamic State and nominating Judge Neil Gorsuch for the Supreme Court, calling him a “true defender of our laws and our Constitution.”

Even as he complained about courts blocking his travel ban and Democrats delaying his cabinet picks, Trump hailed “a tremendous surge of optimism” about the changes he’s making.

That was Trump the agenda setter. Then came Trump the media basher.

He contrasted public optimism with relentless press criticism, saying big outlets on both coasts don’t speak “for the people, but for the special interests and for those profiting off a very, very obviously broken system. The press has become so dishonest that if we don’t talk about [it], we are doing a tremendous disservice to the American people.”

He added: “We have to talk to find out what’s going on, because the press honestly is out of control. The level of dishonesty is out of control.”

That was the start of a sustained media attack like nothing America has ever seen. If this were football, it would be described as smash-mouth because the president plowed straight into the establishment powers.

He called much coverage “dishonest” and “fake news.” He accused some of “hate” and “venom” and singled out individual reporters, anchors and outlets, especially CNN, saying it now peddles “very fake news.”

It was an extraordinary use of the bully pulpit, yet accounts calling it a nonstop rant don’t do it justice. Some of it was playful and teasing, and Trump wasn’t alone in finding humor on several occasions. Many journalists clearly enjoyed the raucous informality, which included back-and-forth exchanges where some freely talked over the president.

Contrast that with the previous eight years of news conferences, where President Barack Obama generally delivered long lectures to an amen chorus.

There was contrast, too, in Trump spending 50 minutes taking more than 40 questions, all spontaneous and none arranged in advance. It was a scrum to be called on, and no topic was off-topic — he answered them all.

He also made errors, repeated himself frequently and some answers raised more questions. But the overall performance was incredibly effective at creating a very different narrative about his tenure for the TV audience — the people he cares about most.

Expect those two themes — he is putting America First and much of the media is dishonest — to be the pillars of his presidency, as they were the pillars of his campaign. That’s why he’s taking his show on the road, and likely will do so regularly.

Predictably, his prime media targets reacted with feverish claims that Trump was “unhinged” and his attacks were “un-American.” Some said he is a threat to the First Amendment.

On the contrary, he’s embracing it. As legendary New Yorker Ed Koch often said about his own criticisms of the press and judges, he didn’t lose his First Amendment rights when he became mayor.

So it is with Trump. He’s free, like all Americans, to speak his mind. His words carry more weight as president, but attempts to silence him are truly un-American. The White House is not a coddled college safe space.

Something else Koch said also is relevant. He once called a journalist who was a partisan critic a “politician with a press pass.”

That’s how Trump sees much of the media, and he’s more right than wrong. Many tried to block his election, and now are trying to destroy his presidency.

They have a choice: Get back to being journalists, or get used to being a piñata.
http://nypost.com/2017/02/19/the-media-doesnt-call-the-shots-trump-does/

Last edited:
Washington Post hires John Podesta as columnist
BY JOE CONCHA
February 23, 2017​
johnpodesta_082415getty.jpg

John Podesta, Hillary Clinton's former presidential campaign chairman, has joined The Washington Post as a contributing columnist, according to a Thursday announcement by the paper.

"No one knows more about how Washington works, how the White House operates, and how policy ideas are translated into reality than John Podesta,” said the Post's editorial page editor, Fred Hiatt, in a statement.

“His long experience in Congress, inside two Democratic White Houses and on the front lines of numerous presidential campaigns, will offer readers vital insight into Washington and politics at the start of a new era.”

Podesta had recently written two op-eds for the Post slamming the Trump administration on Russia and the president's war with the media.
The 68-year-old Chicago native served as chief of staff to President Bill Clinton and was a counselor to President Obama.

Podesta became a household name after emails from his personal account, some of which were critical of Hillary Clinton, were dumped before the election by WikiLeaks. The Trump campaign seized on some of them as evidence of collusion between some members of the media and the Clinton campaign.

http://thehill.com/media/320823-washington-post-hires-john-podesta-as-columnist

Last edited:
Back