President Trump to rescind Obama's guidance that encourage racial consideration in college admission

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
I have a dream, that one day all students may be judged on their merits, not their skin colors.

I fully expects some people who claims they're against racial discrimination will find a way to be outraged about this much-welcomed development against institutionalized racism, though.

President Trump to rescind Obama-era guidance on affirmative action

WASHINGTON --The Trump administration is moving to rescind Obama-era guidance that encouraged schools to take a person's race into account to encourage diversity in admissions, a U.S. official said Tuesday.

The shift would give schools and universities the federal government's blessing to take a race-neutral approach to the students they consider for admission.

The action comes amid a high-profile court fight over admission at Harvard University as well as Supreme Court turnover expected to produce a more critical eye toward schools' affirmative action policies.

The new policy would depart from the stance taken by the Obama administration, which in a 2011 policy document, the administration said schools have a "compelling interest" in ensuring a diverse student body, and that while race should not be the primary factor in an admission decision, schools could lawfully consider it in the interest of achieving diversity.

"Institutions are not required to implement race-neutral approaches if, in their judgment, the approaches would be unworkable," the guidance said. "In some cases, race-neutral approaches will be unworkable because they will be ineffective to achieve the diversity the institution seeks."

The administration issued a similar guidance document in 2016 aimed at giving schools a framework for "considering race to further the compelling interests in achieving diversity and avoiding racial isolation."

The Obama approach replaced Bush-era policy from a decade earlier that discouraged affirmative action programs and instead encouraged the use of race-neutral alternatives, like percentage plans and economic diversity programs.

The Trump administration signaled it planned to reinstate the Bush administration's philosophy. Such guidance does not have the force of law, but schools could use it to help defend themselves against lawsuits over their admission policies.

The Justice Department in the Trump administration has sided with Asian-American plaintiffs suing Harvard University who argue that the school unlawfully limits how many of Asian students are admitted.

Civil liberties groups immediately decried the move, saying it went against decades of court rulings that permit colleges and universities to take race into account.

"We condemn the Department of Education's politically motivated attack on affirmative action and deliberate attempt to discourage colleges and universities from pursuing racial diversity at our nation's colleges and universities," Kristen Clarke, president and executive director of the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, said in a statement.

Eight states already prohibit the use of race in public college admissions: Arizona, California, Florida, Michigan, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Oklahoma and Washington.

http://abc7.com/education/president...a-era-guidance-on-affirmative-action/3697972/

Last edited:
As it should be. No reason to ever know an applicants race until they show up for class.

Is this when antifa starts blowing up shit?

Somehow, fighting against racial discrimination makes Trump a racist. But when liberals fought racial discrimination they were fighting against racists. Now, liberals support racial discrimination and the other people are the racists.

<LikeReally5>

This is why no one takes the race card seriously anymore.

Remember, it's not racial discrimination as long as it benefits minorities.

I really don't care, do u ?

IM_SO_TIRED_OF_ALL_THIS_WINNING_1513179296601bb080ddc26520.png

Somehow, fighting against racial discrimination makes Trump a racist. But when liberals fought racial discrimination they were fighting against racists.

<LikeReally5>

When Donny "fights" racial discrimination in a way that costs him getting bit in the groin by a German Shepherd or beaten with a police truncheon I will show him the same respect I show the Civil Rights Movement soldiers of the past.

Signing a piece of paper while eating a Big Mac doesn't even come close to cutting it.

When Donny "fights" racial discrimination in a way that costs him getting bit in the groin by a German Shepherd or beaten with a police truncheon I will show him the same respect I show the Civil Rights Movement soldiers of the past.

Signing a piece of paper while eating a Big Mac doesn't even come close to cutting it.

I don't think he was talking about the civil rights movement. I think he was talking about Obama making race a part of the application, which is pretty backwards from what we were going for in the civil rights movement.

Thank you president Trump. That guy is well on his way to GOAT.

im mostly OK with this, i think.

affirmative action, and similar policies have noble goals, and at one time were necessary. in 2018, though, i feel like creating policies that help minorities at the college level, is a bit like calling the fire dept after the building as burned already. we need to ensure that public schools (largely funded by LOCAL tax), are equitable everywhere. one that happens, you should (and do) see the so-called achievement gap shrink or disappear.

The Asian community will be very thankful for this.

I don't think he was talking about the civil rights movement. I think he was talking about Obama making race a part of the application, which is pretty backwards from what we were going for in the civil rights movement.

Race-based affirmative action in college admissions was around long before Barry. You know that, right?

Back