President Trump Honors Black Civil War Soldiers with National Monument

You know who else put up a monument to commemorate black civil war soldiers? Hitler!

1. Robert E. Lee Monument to Failure - Dallas, TX
2. Robert E. Lee Monument to Cowardice - New Orleans, LA
3. Robert E. Lee Monument to Treason - New York, NY
4. Robert E. Lee Monument to Denial - Durham, NC
5. Robert E. Lee Monument to Racism - Austin, TX

<JonesLaugh>
Abraham Lincoln in Chicago.
collage-fb-795x447.jpg

<{MindBrown}>

Robert E. Lee was a great man

Change my mind.

You can be great and a traitor at the same time, they're not mutually exclusive.

Keep in mind i'm using "great" as in "had a profound effect on some facet of the world" and not "I wouldn't slap the shit out of that dude if I met him in person".

Native Americans served in the union army aswell, but wont get a monument. One might get the idea that Americans care more or less about the respective groups.

Were they part of the Union or the Confederacy? If he honors the wrong one, all hell could break loose.

Looking at the picture they appear to be Union. I forget the unit this is that is depicted in the photo.

Remember, Confederates weren't supplied well. Most, if not all of the soldiers in this picture have on shoes.

Robert E. Lee was a great man

Change my mind.

Yes, he was a great General. If it were not for him it is debatable if the Confederacy would have been able to last as long as it did.

What is more important I think, and less discussed is that Lee wanted to rebuild America post war. He went into education, and wanted to encourage others to forget their divides, and come together for the reconstruction of the nation. The following quote is said to be from Lee:

"Dismiss from your mind all sectional feeling, and bring [your children] up to be Americans."

Trump is Damned if he does damned if he don’t eh liberals.....fucking hypocrites.
Pretty much this. If he didn't, he'd be racist. They will call him one anyway, though. The left are by and large nothing more than a wall of white noise; static, if you will. I find it impossible to take them seriously.
The mental weakness it must require to be a TDS suffering nematode is something to behold.

You can be great and a traitor at the same time, they're not mutually exclusive.

Keep in mind i'm using "great" as in "had a profound effect on some facet of the world" and not "I wouldn't slap the shit out of that dude if I met him in person".

I feel like they all were traitors. Some of them even contemplated kidnapping Lincoln.

I don't give him any passes on him being a traitor. However, I respect him for his reasons. He chose to side with whoever his home state of Virginia sided with. Even post war he wanted to stay in Virginia, and had strong feelings about helping to rebuild.

"I cannot desert my native state in the hour of her adversity," he remarked to a friend. "I must abide her fortune, and share her fate."
(https://www.virginiahistory.org/col...ginia-history-explorer/robert-e-lee-after-war)

He ultimately left to have a career in education. However, even his thoughts behind that were to help his fellow Americans.

I respect Robert E Lee very much, and I am not pro Confederate at all. I have friends who will fly the flag, but we disagree on that issue. lol

1. Robert E. Lee Monument to Failure - Dallas, TX
2. Robert E. Lee Monument to Cowardice - New Orleans, LA
3. Robert E. Lee Monument to Treason - New York, NY
4. Robert E. Lee Monument to Denial - Durham, NC
5. Robert E. Lee Monument to Racism - Austin, TX

<JonesLaugh>
All sorts, I see.

He should not leave out the other races that fought just as hard. The Irish, and even the chinese, yes the Chinese served in the Murkan Civil War. Including the sons of the Cojoined Twins Chang and Eng

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang_and_Eng_Bunker#Civil_War_metaphor

Dont know who those two had 21 children.

Chang and eng weren’t Chinese you racist fuck!!!! You think just because they were Asian they were Chinese??? I bet you think they knew karate too....

Its a nice symbolic gesture and he should get credit it for it but I think the problem some leftists like myself have with this kind of thing is that it seems to be a low risk stunt that doesn't necessarily do anything to improve the lives of African Americans or Americans in general in a concrete way. Don't want to disregard the value of something like this, its important history with symbolic power. And its good for him to do something that isn't polarizing but rather something all Americans can agree has value on some level. If he shifts to stuff like this and away from his polarizing tweeting from the hip then I'd have a lot more respect for him and he could possibly help depolarize this country.
exactly. He still wants to cut welfare and section 8 housing.

Wasn't his idea and guarantee he took no joy in doing it. He and his hase sympathise with the confederate cause.

Right cause Trump was never given a lifetime achievement award for helping the black community...

I really hope the plaque reads something like "My afro-american soldiers".

It urks me reading the term "african-american" on anything that has to do with negro's historically in this country. bullshit ass misnomer

fuck you jesse jackson you piece of shit

It urks me reading the term "african-american" on anything that has to do with negro's historically in this country. bullshit ass misnomer

fuck you jesse jackson you piece of shit
You prefer the term ‘negroes’?

Its a nice symbolic gesture and he should get credit it for it but I think the problem some leftists like myself have with this kind of thing is that it seems to be a low risk stunt that doesn't necessarily do anything to improve the lives of African Americans or Americans in general in a concrete way. Don't want to disregard the value of something like this, its important history with symbolic power. And its good for him to do something that isn't polarizing but rather something all Americans can agree has value on some level. If he shifts to stuff like this and away from his polarizing tweeting from the hip then I'd have a lot more respect for him and he could possibly help depolarize this country.

I think Trump can be shown to have impacted the lives of African Americans positively. For at least a year now black unemployment rates have been at record lows. Wages have also been going up. I think this is a major reason Trump's approval rating with American blacks is much higher than George W's was. Last I saw Trump was in the 40% range while for George W it was often under 20%. In 2005 it was as low as 15%, and I'm not sure if that was the nadir. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'm guessing Trump's approval rating with black Dem voters is double what it is with white Dem voters. And it's the white Dem voters who are convinced he's racist.

We could argue about all that, but I strongly agree with you that Trump has been remiss in not doing more of this type of thing (and the media should make a big deal about this sort of thing imo). The president does have a sort of ceremonial role at times, and I believe it is a n important part of the job.

of course
negro or colored
Negro sounds jarring to my ear except in certain contexts like "old Negro spiritual". Colored has the same stigma, but colored people means the same thing as "people of color" so I'm not sure I care. African-American is fine. I grew up in almost all black neighborhoods and attended majority black schools until college, and black was the term that was used by everyone. So it's what I mainly use.

It is true that sometimes people use the term African-American as an exact synonym for black, which can rarely lead to some amusing locutions, like talking about the African-American community in Canada (not referring to emigres).

Back