Premier League Thread 2017/18 v86: Spurs Will Always Let You Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although Unai Emery is expected to leave Paris Saint-Germain at the end of the season, Diego Simeone would not discuss being linked to PSG.

Diego Simeone refused to discuss being linked with Paris Saint-Germain after a comprehensive Europa League win for his Atletico Madrid side.

With Unai Emery expected to be relieved of his duties by PSG after their Champions League last-16 exit at the hands of Real Madrid this week, Simeone is reportedly a contender to take over.

But after his team put a foot in the quarter-finals of the Europa League with a 3-0 home defeat of Lokomotiv Moscow on Thursday, Simeone indicated he is fully focused on Atletico.

"Celta Vigo," Simeone replied when asked about the PSG job, referring to Atleti's next LaLiga opponents.

Simeone has been in charge of Atletico since 2011, winning the Europa League the following year, claiming the LaLiga title in 2014 and reaching a pair of Champions League finals.

But the Argentine has regularly been linked with a move away from Atletico, with Premier League side Everton among the clubs reportedly interested in the 47-year-old.

Simeone was more forthcoming on Atletico's performance as they hunt a record-equalling third Europa League crown, Lokomotiv soundly beaten at the Wanda Metropolitano.

"In the whole match we were superior," Simeone said. "In the first half we did not play so well, had to answer some questions that they had posed.

"In the second half we stopped them better. With three in between we had more tranquility and the game was more continuous and fast.

"We will have to adapt in the best way so that this result has weight in the second leg."

With goalkeeper Jan Oblak ruled out with a hand injury, Axel Werner kept a clean sheet on his Atletico debut, although the 22-year-old was rarely called upon.

"He is a young goalkeeper who transmits confidence and tranquility, even though they have not tested him," Simeone added.

"It is something that has also happened with Oblak, so the important thing is how he feels.

"We trust him. He has grown a lot since he arrived."

It remains unlikely, but a club could still meet Lionel Messi's €700million release clause, according to Barcelona director Pancho Schroder.

Barcelona director Pancho Schroder has admitted the enormous release clause written into Lionel Messi's latest contract does not guarantee the superstar will stay at Camp Nou.

Barca stunningly lost prized asset Neymar to Paris Saint-Germain in August after the Ligue 1 side smashed the world transfer record by meeting the Brazil international's €222million buyout fee.

Responding to that seismic shock, the Catalan giants opted for an equivalent figure of €700m when Messi finally signed his new deal in November.

Nevertheless, corporate director Schroder feels the club remains vulnerable to approaches for the 30-year-old Argentina international.

"We set up a clause which we think is enough to have Messi retire at FC Barcelona," he told Sky Sports.

"But, having said that, we thought a year ago that the clause for Neymar was also good enough to retain the player, and that proved last summer not to be the case.

"Looking at the future, I think, is difficult, but I don't have a crystal ball and these days things are getting a little bit crazy."

It remains unlikely, but a club could still meet Lionel Messi's €700million release clause, according to Barcelona director Pancho Schroder.

Barcelona director Pancho Schroder has admitted the enormous release clause written into Lionel Messi's latest contract does not guarantee the superstar will stay at Camp Nou.

Barca stunningly lost prized asset Neymar to Paris Saint-Germain in August after the Ligue 1 side smashed the world transfer record by meeting the Brazil international's €222million buyout fee.

Responding to that seismic shock, the Catalan giants opted for an equivalent figure of €700m when Messi finally signed his new deal in November.

Nevertheless, corporate director Schroder feels the club remains vulnerable to approaches for the 30-year-old Argentina international.

"We set up a clause which we think is enough to have Messi retire at FC Barcelona," he told Sky Sports.

"But, having said that, we thought a year ago that the clause for Neymar was also good enough to retain the player, and that proved last summer not to be the case.

"Looking at the future, I think, is difficult, but I don't have a crystal ball and these days things are getting a little bit crazy."

Here's a revolutionary idea. Don't have a fucking release clause!!

@Chris Partlow whats your thoughts on Naby Keita ?

He’s fast, solid passer and decent shot. People compare him to Kante because they’re short and black but he’s not really like that, if we’re gonna be lazy like that he’s more like Pogba but not as physically tall/strong

Not a 10, but not really a DM either, I’d say again like a Pogba type of CM. Not great defensively, a few reds for dumb/slow challenges. I haven’t watched them as much this year but stat wise his numbers are down, the team as a whole isn’t as good, maybe because of extra Europe games, unsure. RBL play a pressing style so it shouldn’t be too crazy of a difference to Liverpool. He’s more like Coutinho/Winalldumb than Henderson/Can

Is he worth whatever? Idk, but to compare to another Bundesliga to prem mid in Xhaka going for around 30 (and as someone who saw him at Gladbach) despite not really the same type of mid Keita is better

Last edited:
C'mon son

Sky always go full Joe Rogan whenever a new Utd kid makes 1st team & has a half decent game.

Criminal how Murdoch doesn't get 20% of Utd's turnover for convincing you lot Fergie is a god walking amongst mere men.

Honestly barely anyone who regularly watches United hypes him up at all lol. Redcafe doesn’t rate him either ( being said most of them still hate Lindelof when he’s barely done anything wrong the last couple months because he made errors in fucking September)

I’ll give him credit though he played really well in the 2nd half vs Chelsea, after being partially responsible for the first goal. Needed more attacking players vs Palace so no brainer he had to come off. He’s a “simple” player that follows what his instructions are, a managers dream. Nothing more nothing less

He’s fast, solid passer and decent shot. People compare him to Kante because they’re short and black but he’s not really like that, if we’re gonna be lazy like that he’s more like Pogba but not as physically tall/strong

Not a 10, but not really a DM either, I’d say again like a Pogba type of CM. Not great defensively, a few reds for dumb/slow challenges. I haven’t watched them as much this year but stat wise his numbers are down, the team as a whole isn’t as good, maybe because of extra Europe games, unsure. RBL play a pressing style so it shouldn’t be too crazy of a difference to Liverpool. He’s more like Coutinho/Winalldumb than Henderson/Can

Is he worth whatever? Idk, but to compare to another Bundesliga to prem mid in Xhaka going for around 30 (and as someone who saw him at Gladbach) despite not really the same type of mid Keita is better
Good stuff. Tks, mate!

Honestly barely anyone who regularly watches United hypes him up at all lol. Redcafe doesn’t rate him either ( being said most of them still hate Lindelof when he’s barely done anything wrong the last couple months because he made errors in fucking September)

I’ll give him credit though he played really well in the 2nd half vs Chelsea, after being partially responsible for the first goal. Needed more attacking players vs Palace so no brainer he had to come off. He’s a “simple” player that follows what his instructions are, a managers dream. Nothing more nothing less
I wasnt attacking Utd fans. I was talking about the UK media getting gassed & blasting promo's out already.

He's a kid. Needs giving plenty more time.

Another one, Utd put in a stinker at Sevilla & BT spent 50mins gassing about De Gea being the best GK in the world.

They're as bad as KenFlo's UFC infomercials on Fox Sports

Honestly if Messi went to any of the top 6 in pl would he not generate that much money back for the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back