• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kadafi
ICzizVH.jpg

we need another 50 on Wednesday

Hala Madrid

Hala Rawex Bless

Meningitis is acute inflammation of the meninges and may be caused by either bacteria or viruses, the latter being more common, usually self-limiting and relatively mild. Viral meningitis is typically more transient and does not cause permanent damage to underlying brain tissue.

Bacterial meningitis is far more dangerous with the typical bacteria that causes meningitis being Neisseria meningitidis (over 90% of cases) that resides in the upper respiratory mucosa. It may be asymptomatically carried or spread to someone by an infected individual or carrier.

Dude I know lost both his legs to bacterial meningitis last year. Crazy shit

@frenzy

That case you were talking about is mad. I'm never doing one of those heritage DNA doodahs. When I eventually murder someone, I want to get away with it!

<20>

@Gazwald

Bacterial meningitis is far more dangerous with the typical bacteria that causes meningitis being Neisseria meningitidis (over 90% of cases) that resides in the upper respiratory mucosa. It may be asymptomatically carried or spread to someone by an infected individual or carrier. If it activates its virulence factors it will start to invade and penetrate through the tissue and get into the meninges (causing meningitis) and blood (causing septicaemia). Both of these have very serious consequences, the septicaemia is especially dangerous due to the toxins released.

it's pretty cool how shit all links together in diagnoses tho

if anyone is interested

Clinical Presentation:

Jamie is a 6yr old boy, had a restless night with a high temp, bad headache and grizzling. Refused breakfast in the morning, then started vomiting.

Mother calls GP, GP says if Jamie gets worse then to bring him in to the surgery straight away.

Jamie becomes more withdrawn, unresponsive, looking pale, clammy skin and cold hands, starts to complain about light from the window.

So essentially Jamie's symptoms at present are:

Sleepy, expressionless, irritable-> these are signs of altered consciousness

Refusing food, vomiting, diarrhoea and vomiting -> signs of an infection

He has a fever cold extremities and clammy skin -> signs of septic shock (due to peripheral vasoconstriction as a result of septicaemia)

He dislikes being handled, is irritable and has a high pitched cry -> signs of pain

Thus we can see that meningitis can initially present as flu.

Fuck the heavies are a sea of shit. Makes my brain ache these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back