prefer glory or muay thai rules fights

Muay Thai by being more pure and real test of standing combat.

but i like both.

There are too many Kickboxing styles and most people not in the know would not tell the difference from muay Thai and K-1 style.
Me I wish there was just 2 styles being one old style PKA Full Contact rules with no leg kicks and for Karate/Tae-Kwon-do fighters to set up from Semi-Contact and the other being where the Muay Thai/Burmese-Indo styles/K-1 figt with low kick's/clinching etc.

I prefer the Glory ruleset, alot better pace than Thai boxing. I like the 3 second clinch rule as it allows you to execute a quick attack, but doesn't slow the fight down. I also like no elbows because less fights are stopped because of cuts. The only adjustment that I would make is to go back to the old K1 ruling on knockdowns. If you get a knockdown even if you were losing the round it should be an 10-8 round, I think this encourages people to be more aggressive and allows for more momentum changes/comebacks.

I'd like a hybrid. Allow all the clinching of MT rules plus elbows but score punches on an equal footing with all other techniques. And all rounds are given equal significance in the scoring so fast starts aren't discouraged. Pretty much MMA without the TD's or ground work but with MT throws allowed.

Early K-1 rules but with more rounds. More rounds means more knockouts, fewer decisions, and better fights. Of course, if I'm totally honest, I would rather have Lethwei rules: elbows, knees, headbutts, rabbit punching, and low blows. Are we fighting or not?

Plus, from a sheer aesthetic point of view, the guys who can mix taekwondo, kyokushin, and savate techniques into their kickboxing are usually the most fun to watch. Muay Thai is effective but not as flashy. A leg kick is like watching guys score a two pointer off the backboard. Axe kicks, roundhouse kicks, and spinning back kicks are like watching a slam dunk.

Last edited:
There are too many Kickboxing styles and most people not in the know would not tell the difference from muay Thai and K-1 style.
Me I wish there was just 2 styles being one old style PKA Full Contact rules with no leg kicks and for Karate/Tae-Kwon-do fighters to set up from Semi-Contact and the other being where the Muay Thai/Burmese-Indo styles/K-1 figt with low kick's/clinching etc.

Those old PKA guys were no joke. Their movement gave them the upper hand before the Thai's kicked their legs out from under them. I feel like if they'd just hardened their legs and added leg kicks to their repertoire they would be dominating today.

I prefer Glory rules faster fights no cut stoppages from elbows but love Muay Thai for there grittiness clinch and elbows ko's.

Those old PKA guys were no joke. Their movement gave them the upper hand before the Thai's kicked their legs out from under them. I feel like if they'd just hardened their legs and added leg kicks to their repertoire they would be dominating today.

It's not that simple. They'd have to change their stance to be able to check kicks effectively. That undoubtedly would affect their mobility. You can toughen your legs and top Thai boxers have very well conditioned legs but against the heaviest kickers you can't just absorb punishment for that long.

I saw that fight from the 1980's between Rick Roufus and some Thai and the first rd I think it was PKA rules and Roufus was getting the better of the Thai alongside looking very flashy but then the next rd (not clear with it) it went to WKA rules and the Thai Boxer just did low kick after low kick till it got to the point that Roufus couldn't stand yet he was fine from the waist up but sadly couldn't continue as the Thai was no match with his hands or high kicking.It's shame watching some guy resort to leg kick's as it doe's not make a great spectacle.

I love clinching so full Thai rules would be my pick.
The only thing I don't like about watching Muay Thai fights is how slow they usually start for the gamblers. The first couple rounds seems like a waste of time in a lot of fights. If Muay Thai was 3 rounds instead of 5, and they actually spent the whole time fighting hard, that would be ideal for me.

bridging the gap between two great nations of internet warriors i pose the question from ug forum to sherdog posters do you prefer glory/k1 rules or muay thai rules for kickboxing

i will add my preference is that both are about equal to me but both leagues need smaller gloves and allow elbows, i think this will have a large impact on fighting styles, and could use more tolerance of offensive grappling, trips and throws, while not allowing too much chest to chest distance 'rest' clinching; i think for kickboxing even more than mma the referee controlling the fight correctly is very important and while it can be under reffed it can also be over reffed

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&forum=1&thread=2134469&page=1
Something in between.
I hate how they took points off Petchpanomrung vs Roosmalen for clinching. Make it like boxing - once they clinch up, separate them after a few seconds. Simple.
Also, I'm tired of seeing shit robberies like Petch vs RvR or Sittichai vs RvR. Those kicks could snap a forearm, ergo they do damage, ergo that should be taken into account, as damage is a big factor (supposedly).
Also, kicks should, on principle, bring more points as they're harder to land. Say a punch is 1 point, a powerful blocked kick or knee is 1 point, a clean kick or knee is 2 points.
However, the fact that most Muay Thai judges don't score punches unless they result in a knockdown is insane.

Traditional Muay Thai favors clinch and kicks too much. Modern Glory-style rules favor stand-n-bang ape-style bullshit too much.

Middle ground should be reached, yet no one's doing it...

Something in between.
I hate how they took points off Petchpanomrung vs Roosmalen for clinching. Make it like boxing - once they clinch up, separate them after a few seconds. Simple.
Also, I'm tired of seeing shit robberies like Petch vs RvR or Sittichai vs RvR. Those kicks could snap a forearm, ergo they do damage, ergo that should be taken into account, as damage is a big factor (supposedly).
Also, kicks should, on principle, bring more points as they're harder to land. Say a punch is 1 point, a powerful blocked kick or knee is 1 point, a clean kick or knee is 2 points.
However, the fact that most Muay Thai judges don't score punches unless they result in a knockdown is insane.

Traditional Muay Thai favors clinch and kicks too much. Modern Glory-style rules favor stand-n-bang ape-style bullshit too much.

Once our boy @nino collects enough information from the library of kickfighting knowledge that is this forum he'll take
the boxing skills of a Van Roosmalen and blend them with the kicks and knees of a Sittichai. 'Neo muay thai' is on it's way to glory.

Last edited:
Something in between.

the middle ground is called international muaythai. they score punches basically the same as k1 and break the clinch a lot faster

My BIGGEST gripe about glory and K1 is that you're not allowed to sweep the legs purposefully. I love seeing a good fighter catch a kick and drop their opponent.

Shootboxing rules is the way to go for stand-up fights.

Something in between.

So why haven't they snapped a forearm?

Back