prefer glory or muay thai rules fights

F

farbeyondD

bridging the gap between two great nations of internet warriors i pose the question from ug forum to sherdog posters do you prefer glory/k1 rules or muay thai rules for kickboxing

i will add my preference is that both are about equal to me but both leagues need smaller gloves and allow elbows, i think this will have a large impact on fighting styles, and could use more tolerance of offensive grappling, trips and throws, while not allowing too much chest to chest distance 'rest' clinching; i think for kickboxing even more than mma the referee controlling the fight correctly is very important and while it can be under reffed it can also be over reffed

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&forum=1&thread=2134469&page=1

Always loved K1/Glory style fights but as I grow to appreciate Muay Thai more and more, it just seems like a diluted version without elbows, clinch, etc.

I dislike elbows but I love clinching....so, tough call I guess...

I like both. I lean towards the K-1/Glory, but I hate the no clinch. Actually forget that, MT 100%

I can appreciate the skill of the clinch game, but it really slows down the pace of the fights.
Elbows are fun, but they cause a lot of cuts.

I take the glory/k1 rules, please.

Muay Thai is a better and more true version of stand up fighting.

However, I'd prefer to watch K-1/Glory rules. Clinching is obviously effective, but I prefer seeing less clinching. I have mixed feelings about elbows. I think there are good techniques, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

Both rulesets are entertaining in their own ways, although I didn't like the all the changes that were made to the K-1 rules towards the end of its run. Early K-1 rules were a lot more entertaining and made for better fights.

I'm always amazed at how much Western fans dislike elbows and clinching. They always talk about how elbows cause cuts, but the bigger point is that elbows neutralize punch-happy fighters and make the fight game more complex. As for clinching, there's a reason why refs break the clinch after the action stalls, it's not like the fighters just hug it out the whole fifteen minutes LOL. Of course, there's no doubt that the pace of K-1 rules fights are often faster, but it could also be due to shorter and fewer rounds.

Muay Thai rule...with scoring of early K1 rule.

Definitely Muay Thai; I absolutely love the clinches and elbows to go along with the punches and kicks (not to mention dumps) as it's far more appealing to me. Petboonchu is the quintessence of my sentiment as he simultaneously utilizes both weapons perfectly while in close range. I even rocked an avatar of him about a year ago but eventually retired it, ha.

muay thai by a country mile if k-1 had stuck with there earlier rulesets it would be more competitive

Definitely Muay Thai; I absolutely love the clinches and elbows to go along with the punches and kicks (not to mention dumps) as it's far more appealing to me. Petboonchu is the quintessence of my sentiment as he simultaneously utilizes both weapons perfectly while in close range. I even rocked an avatar of him about a year ago but eventually retired it, ha.

Ah, a Petboonchu fan, eh? I had a nice little chit-chat with him a couple months ago... :icon_chee
Petboonchu_zps74a34ecd.jpg

bridging the gap between two great nations of internet warriors i pose the question from ug forum to sherdog posters do you prefer glory/k1 rules or muay thai rules for kickboxing
If Burmese boxing (Lethwei) was a choice I would have picked that since it allows headbutts and more types of throws, but since it's not I will go with Thai boxing which is basically the same thing with more restrictions.

I have not cared for the K-1 rules since Buakaw forced the Japanese to alter the rules so that people with no knowledge of the clinch and knees could also win...

Both are good, but I hate a fight where they just run up and hug each other. If you are clinching and not using it they need to warn for stalling. I will always love elbows so.... Without elbows I still enjoyed K-1 Max which is the Glory style rules.

I prefer Muay Thai.

But I will watch whatever format that has the best fighters. Which usually equates to where the money is best.

Back