Pre-Season 18/19 Premier League Thread v1: Dabbing With The World Cup Edition

Who wins the PL trofee?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad the penalty didn't decide the game, but was a penalty by the letter of the law imo

6 goals in the final. Can't complain. Mbappe wrongfooting the keeper from nearly 30 yards was the highlight for me. Not many players can do that. Ronaldinho used to every now and again. Shame Croatia's standard of balls into the box dropped in the second half or they might have stood a chance.

Great world cup. Full of surprises.

All this talk of "deliberate" and "intentional" only applies to sending someone off.
If that handball happened in the middle of the pitch it would be a free kick for France. So when it happens in front of goal its...

Tuned out the drama during the match. Dont see what all the outrage is over the penalty. Looked like Perisic deliberately handled the ball to me.
This.

I was watching some of the aftermath and every single pundit said it should not be a penalty.

To me it was a clear handball.
As the cross came in, he's lifted his foot up to block the cross, and his hands are up by his head.
When the ball reaches him it's above his leg, at this point he brings his hand down ,opens his hand and slaps the ball, effectively blocking the cross.

I get that it happened very fast but it wasnt point blank range.
Of all the handballs at this world cup, this was among the more blatant...not controversial at all IMO.

Pundits in general very biased towards Croatia. They also complained about Griezmann diving for the free kick which he then scored from, and yet ignore that perisic also dived to get the free kick from which HE ended up scoring.

All this talk of "deliberate" and "intentional" only applies to sending someone off.
If that handball happened in the middle of the pitch it would be a free kick for France. So when it happens in front of goal its...

Exactly what I was thinking. Commentators/pundits were tripping with all the talk of intent imo. Pretty shocking misinterpretation of the rules in a world cup final. Roy Keane confirming he's a twat yet again too. His arm was out and seemed to move towards the ball on the replay. Ref had no option but to give it after watching the evidence. The Iran penalty vs Portugal was utter bullshit. This one was the right call.

The premier league trophy is coming home this season lads

The way they interpreted the handball rule in this tournament the ref had no other choice. But the handball stuff will be controversial as long as football exists, just look at this pen, the opinions reach from clear pen to no pen at all. And neither opinion is wrong, the refs get a certain direction on how to interpret the handball rules (plus others) before every tournament and before every season.

The way they interpreted the handball rule in this tournament the ref had no other choice. But the handball stuff will be controversial as long as football exists, just look at this pen, the opinions reach from clear pen to no pen at all. And neither opinion is wrong, the refs get a certain direction on how to interpret the handball rules (plus others) before every tournament and before every season.
The rules change so often now that fans dont know them anymore. I struggle keeping up with the changes to the offside rule & i'm a hardcore fan that watches a ridiculous amount of games each season.

I thought the Colombian shudda got a straight red against us but learned after the game that headbutting upwards is only a yellow card offence.

The rules change so often now that fans dont know them anymore. I struggle keeping up with the changes to the offside rule & i'm a hardcore fan that watches a ridiculous amount of games each season.

I thought the Colombian shudda got a straight red against us but learned after the game that headbutting upwards is only a yellow card offence.
It's definitely a clusterfuck. I think it is good that refs come together before seasons and tournaments and talk about stuff and on how they want to handle it, but they should at least release a statement with some bullet points or something.

Another problem is that not all refs implement the directions and just do what they want, which confuses fans even more.

This.

I was watching some of the aftermath and every single pundit said it should not be a penalty.

As the cross came in, he's lifted his foot up to block the cross, and his hands are up by his head.
When the ball reaches him it's above his leg, at this point he brings his hand down ,opens his hand and slaps the ball, effectively blocking the cross.

Of all the handballs at this world cup, this was among the more blatant...not controversial at all IMO.

Pundits in general very biased towards Croatia. They also complained about Griezmann diving for the free kick which he then scored from, and yet ignore that perisic also dived to get the free kick from which HE ended up scoring.
what a post

VAR screenshot from the Griezmann free kick. Pundits were claiming Pogba was offside, turns out he wasn't. Vida had a foot ahead.

This.

<{RoseRun}><PlusJuan>

Rami: I'm on cloud 9. 8 years ago I was a mechanic. Now I'm a World Champ.

But, but, but... he was a flop! Contributed nothing but dive and convert easy PK's...

Edit: There's a good write up on here on Griezmann's performance against Belgium @blokeybloke wrote up after a re-watch. Far better than the garbage Twitter and reddit pundits have been putting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back