Prank on BJJ class: Black Belt pretends to be a White Belt in BJJ visiting Biloxi, MS

I had a friend from NY come down to visit and train with us for a few days at Alan Belcher MMA Club. he's a real good black belt under Joe D'Arce and one of the head instructors at Vamos Mixed Martial Arts in New York, but I thought a fun way to introduce him to my class would be to slap him in a white belt and have him talking a little bit about how kung fu grappling is basically the same as BJJ. Everyone was ignoring him until we started doing some live training, then it got fun. Here is Alex at my gym pretending to be an annoying know it all new student with an 8-month kung fu background, enjoy the clip :icon_lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz_26gVAXCg

The picture below shows Alex at Marcelo Garcia's 2011 ADCC training camp (in the black gi):

Some of the best stuff wasn't caught on film. Alan Belcher was on the next floor and told all the students that our film guy was getting footage for a road to competition video he wants to put together, so camera guy couldn't make it too obvious. One of the purple belts here actually grabbed his iphone and managed to find Alex on google before the class was over. It was a fun gag.

I couldn't stop laughing from the get go. The long white belt started me off and then the music. :icon_lol:

Are there any other "high belt pretends to be white belt" videos out there? I would love to see more

Hah! Set up so well with the warmups. It'd be one thing for a guy to jump into class and get things down as he went along, but the shrimping and the pummeling probably got everyone's attention before he started smashing.

TTT for all the n00bs who missed this

Last edited:
Yeah this was an epic prank for sure.

Still watch this in 2017 every so often, when I need a laugh.

The "I'm fresh" guy needs his own shirt.

fresh.jpg

I would wear that rashguard.

Last edited:
That is hilarious. Thought the owner of the gym looked familiar when I watched this a long time ago. Just put two and two together lol.

Still watch this in 2017 every so often, when I need a laugh.

The "I'm fresh" guy needs his own shirt.

View attachment 216231

I would wear that rashguard.

Glorious. I'd wear one too. I never get tired of that video especially the look on the I'm fresh guy's face when he realizes after 10 seconds that he's completed fucked.

My instructor did this to us as well, it is a strange feeling getting smoked by someone you are assuming you are going to beat.

I've watched this a few times over years and love it each time

Funniest part is when the dude says "he does some grappling at his kung fu school" hahahaha

It was a joke commercial I think but there was a teaser trailer for Travis Stepehens (as Steven Travis) going undercover as a BJJ WB somewhere....

Ha! Hadn't seen this inna while. Still excellent. Just look at all that humble pie being served slice after slice. heh heh.

I did something similar when I attended the beginning judo class at the dojo where I teach Bjj on different days.

I wore my shoyoroll and put on a kid white belt that was tied up on a post.
The belt was so small that I can only wrap once on my waist and the end were at knees level.

During sparring, the instructor that also train Bjj with me matched me up with 2 bb that did not know who I was.
It was also newaza instead of tachiwaza. The instructor requested that we start from guard.

So I just sat on my ass and expected the bb to try to pass my guard.

But both times, the bb gave me this funny look as they just thought I was a newbie and demanded that I start in their guard.

I asked them twice if they were sure and they gave me this conceding look.

So I obliged.

I passed the guard and got knee on the belly to mount within 15 seconds.

Then they started spazzing hard.

The first guy start asking me if I trained judo 1 minute throught the roll. I just reply no. But I do Bjj while squeezing harder. His response was "yeah, same thing" while he had trouble breathing.
I did not want to submit them because I just wanted to be cool.
I thank the first one for the roll and his face said it all. He actually told me I that I tooled him for 3 minutes.
Then the second bb got really mad and elbow me in the nuts trying to escape something.
At the end of the roll, I thanked him and he just stood up and ran to the coach to ask who I was. The coach laughed at him and told that I am the resident Bjj instructor. He tried to introduce us because we originally from the same country and speak the same language but the frenchie was already pissed so I left him alone.

Those 2 would have rag dolled if it was tachiwaza. I guess I owe them a few rounds of stand up.

I did something similar when I attended the beginning judo class at the dojo where I teach Bjj on different days.

I wore my shoyoroll and put on a kid white belt that was tied up on a post.
The belt was so small that I can only wrap once on my waist and the end were at knees level.

During sparring, the instructor that also train Bjj with me matched me up with 2 bb that did not know who I was.
It was also newaza instead of tachiwaza. The instructor requested that we start from guard.

So I just sat on my ass and expected the bb to try to pass my guard.

But both times, the bb gave me this funny look as they just thought I was a newbie and demanded that I start in their guard.

I asked them twice if they were sure and they gave me this conceding look.

So I obliged.

I passed the guard and got knee on the belly to mount within 15 seconds.

Then they started spazzing hard.

The first guy start asking me if I trained judo 1 minute throught the roll. I just reply no. But I do Bjj while squeezing harder. His response was "yeah, same thing" while he had trouble breathing.
I did not want to submit them because I just wanted to be cool.
I thank the first one for the roll and his face said it all. He actually told me I that I tooled him for 3 minutes.
Then the second bb got really mad and elbow me in the nuts trying to escape something.
At the end of the roll, I thanked him and he just stood up and ran to the coach to ask who I was. The coach laughed at him and told that I am the resident Bjj instructor. He tried to introduce us because we originally from the same country and speak the same language but the frenchie was already pissed so I left him alone.

Those 2 would have rag dolled if it was tachiwaza. I guess I owe them a few rounds of stand up.

Something similar happened to me.

I was a pretty decent purple belt and one of the clubs where I taught asked me to come by because there were a lot of guests from out of state visiting and I was one of the highest guys there at the time.

I hadn't planned on training that day and I just planned to watch and do a meet and greet. The resident guys asked me to jump into sparring so they gave me a hi but didn't have a purple belt so I grabbed a white belt.

It was a full open mat so I just kind of snuck in and people weren't watching me roll. I went through the higher level guys but they figured out what I was in seconds.

A bunch of experienced white belts and blue belts asked me to roll and it was a fight for my life! They bridged, thrashed, elbowed, kick. Anything they could do to keep from being beaten by "some skinny no stripe white belt. " most of them wouldn't tap to armbars or chokes. It was nuts. After the last choke one of the white belts turned their back to me and didn't shake my hand. Just stared st the floor in rage. I honestly thought he was about to take a swing so I got into a fighting stance.

Luckily the class was over and they called the instructors up and I joined them. A couple of the dudes gave a sign of relief but the angry dude stayed salty.

The big takeaway i got was that the belt is a massive mental block. I rolled with all the guys later and none of them gave me a fight anywhere close to the one they did the first day. The first day they fought with everything they had and I left the rolls feeling like I had just finished a tournament. The next time I rolled with my actual rank it was a piece of cake. I hadn't "figured them out. " they just figured that since I outranked them I should be able to beat them and self-fulfilling prophecy took over. They accepted the sweeps and didn't fight the submissions till the end.

It makes me wonder how many lower belts could actually give higher belts a real run for their money if they fought like they had the tools to win.

I had a friend from NY come down to visit and train with us for a few days at Alan Belcher MMA Club. he's a real good black belt under Joe D'Arce and one of the head instructors at Vamos Mixed Martial Arts in New York, but I thought a fun way to introduce him to my class would be to slap him in a white belt and have him talking a little bit about how kung fu grappling is basically the same as BJJ. Everyone was ignoring him until we started doing some live training, then it got fun. Here is Alex at my gym pretending to be an annoying know it all new student with an 8-month kung fu background, enjoy the clip :icon_lol:

The picture below shows Alex at Marcelo Garcia's 2011 ADCC training camp (in the black gi):

Some of the best stuff wasn't caught on film. Alan Belcher was on the next floor and told all the students that our film guy was getting footage for a road to competition video he wants to put together, so camera guy couldn't make it too obvious. One of the purple belts here actually grabbed his iphone and managed to find Alex on google before the class was over. It was a fun gag.

He isnt one of the head instructors at Vamos, he is THE instructor. He owns it doesnt he?

Damn, this used to be a good forum.

PS Team Lloyd Irvin still has ZERO male BJJ black belt mundial winners, correct?

Back