Powerlifting exposed

Screw it, I'll just keep responding to the thread seriously :D

It's not supposed to make you good at grappling or punching.

It's supposed to get you strong in fundamental body movements and make you into a fitter individual.

Strength training is invaluable for the random people who didn't spend their youth playing school sports or generally building a foundation of strength and fitness through a variety of movements.

Taking those random people and asking them to struggle against other people is a recipe for injuries.
I'm with you on this one. Strenght training, which PL is a big part of, is great for injury prevention and such. Well, beneficial/correct motor learning too, but that's a bit more complex. And you are right, especially for people who have lived a sedentary lifestyle and have little, or no base from their youth. I think that is a pretty big reason why I tore my ACL when I began wrestling. I was a fat slob going too hard after being on the couch for many years.

Really? Who over-rates it?

I got the impression that people in general either dismiss it totally, or think that it (or max strength development, rather) is just one of many useful tools.

What you actually write seems to me like the consensus amongst almost everyone who knows anything, not a dissenting opinion.
Hey Jaunty. I know I'm being a bit headstrong, but bear with me. Your perspective is quite unique, and I think it's important to make the distinction. Let me explain what I feel is the consensus and let's expand the view a little. Let's start from the top.

Most of the population have no clue about combat sports. Watch any MMA or boxing event, or whatever, with a so called "casual"(most people) and comments like "why doesn't he just stand up?`", and "I would have done this and that" makes it very clear. Even within the martial arts community itself, there is a disparity between people who think something will work, who do not spar or train full contact, and people who have tested their techniques over and over again in fighting or live sparring.

This is mostly anecdotal, but the majority of people I've met in my life who has seen someone who is strong in some lifts, has expressed awe(which is cool) and fear of their fighting ability. Consequently, many strong gym goers feel they are real badasses, ergo can kick someones ass, ergo has good fighting ability. All because they lift weights and have broad shoulders. There is a sense of barbell strenght directly correlating to manliness, and with that, ability to defend or destroy. I think that is a very primal thing in us all. Seems to me, the consensus here is big mucles = dangerous guy.

Let's zoom in on Sherdog a little and start with the heavies. The plethora of threads on for instance Jones' powerlifting showed how little people know again. It was either a) he will destroy everyone because of it, or b) he will gas in two seconds.

Most troubleling though, imo, is right here on S&C discussion. We've had these battles before, but there are a few camps who either indirectly or directly feels that high numbers = ability to kick ass, or atleast they express themselves as such. It's been twofold. The first part is all the discussions about different training methods and strenght and conditioning in MMA. To many, it's always "do more squats", or whatever. I love squats, don't get me wrong, but maybe time is better spent elsewhere. I do agree that it depends on a lot of factors, and where the person is right now in their martial arts stage.

Second part is the abrasive behaviour of some of the regular posters on here. Look through some of the threads. As Nate Diaz would have said so beautifully, "you're pumped up". The tone is sooo macho with stuff like "I'd kick their ass", and everyone is a weak sissy and so forth. Actually it's much worse here, in the S&C, than in the standup, or grappling section, with people who actually fight. That should tell you something. Everyone is a tough guy, and why? Because they lift weights. They don't get their ego checked. It's disrespectful to those guys who busts their asses and get their face kicked each day, to become a better fighter. Which leads me to my first point about gym goers. I don't know why it gets to me, but it does. And those people would be very surprised how little all those years with the barbells would help in a gym, or in a ring. Yes, aggression and size does help on the street, but it still doesn't help much against someone who knows what they are doing.

I feel, that most people both in the real world and on here overrated barbell training, and I stand by that. You are not one of those people. They really should try to go to a boxing gym, or roll with good grapplers, it's completely different.

Anyway, that's my rant!

I've said multiple times that strength in barbell lifts are very low on priority for fighters. I don't feel like many have argued against me on that. I think what you may be misinterpreting is when fighters or athletes in general ask "how to get stronger". The barbell lifts are typically the answer on here. That's not saying "lift weights to become the best fighter you could be" - it's simply answer the question of how to get stronger. Lots of fighters or athletes think they are weak when it really could just be simple things like technique or getting their hips in the right position.

This is going to be a shitty analogy, but it's something I can relate to. In the golf world now, fitness and becoming stronger is all of the craze. A lot of the better golfers have figured out that getting stronger matters when they are at the top level and excellent at golf. It gives them that extra push. The reality is that it's not going to translate well to recreational golfers. Spending that time to get stronger or in better shape is so much less important than spending more time at the range or on the putting green.

To me, it's similar with MMA. Learning the techniques is going to be so much more important at first than becoming a stronger athlete. Once you start competing, conditioning and other aspects become much more important. IMO, most can get by with a basic strength base.

@Sano I see your point if you're talking about completing uneducated people's opinions, and I do think educated people put to much attention to the numbers of pounds they can lift. Squatting is better than not squatting, but if you're worried about your numbers going up every single month then you're probably using strength training wrong.

Most of the population have no clue about combat sports.

Agreed, there are all sorts of uninformed people out there who think that if you are super strong you will wreck everyone, but who cares what poorly informed people who don't do an activity think about the activity? I don't really care what the average guy in the pub thinks about fiscal policy vs monetary policy either.

Most troubleling though, imo, is right here on S&C discussion.

A lot of people do feel that people here are too "pro-strength", but I think in general it's not the case. It just comes from things like (i) it being an S&C forum and so we naturally talk a lot about strength, and (ii) we often get people who come here saying max strength is useless, and we're arguing against that, which can lead to a tendency to overstate things. Overall, it's just really hard to strike that balance of "it's a very useful attribute but only one of many" when you are in a forum that is about that very attribute! There are a few people who probably push it too hard, but in general I think 90% of people, if they seem like that, if pushed they would admit they were just not quite expressing themselves right and would agree with the position you laid out. There are maybe one or two people over-stating more agressively, but they may well be trolling/taking the piss.

I think if there's a legitimate complaint about the 'received wisdom' on these boards, it's that there's a tendency to discount sports-specific work.

Really? Who over-rates it?

I got the impression that people in general either dismiss it totally, or think that it (or max strength development, rather) is just one of many useful tools.

What you actually write seems to me like the consensus amongst almost everyone who knows anything, not a dissenting opinion.
See the threads in the heavies drooling over Jon's squat and DL PR's and how unstoppable he will be on his return.

I've said multiple times that strength in barbell lifts are very low on priority for fighters. I don't feel like many have argued against me on that. I think what you may be misinterpreting is when fighters or athletes in general ask "how to get stronger". The barbell lifts are typically the answer on here. That's not saying "lift weights to become the best fighter you could be" - it's simply answer the question of how to get stronger. Lots of fighters or athletes think they are weak when it really could just be simple things like technique or getting their hips in the right position.

This is going to be a shitty analogy, but it's something I can relate to. In the golf world now, fitness and becoming stronger is all of the craze. A lot of the better golfers have figured out that getting stronger matters when they are at the top level and excellent at golf. It gives them that extra push. The reality is that it's not going to translate well to recreational golfers. Spending that time to get stronger or in better shape is so much less important than spending more time at the range or on the putting green.

To me, it's similar with MMA. Learning the techniques is going to be so much more important at first than becoming a stronger athlete. Once you start competing, conditioning and other aspects become much more important. IMO, most can get by with a basic strength base.
I think that's a great analogy actually. Spot on post, thanks. On that note, you always strike me as a very level headed guy with a good attitude. I was just thinking that it probably matters more at the highest level. Although it does seem easier to do sport specific power/strenght training for a golf swing, than something as varied as MMA.

Agreed, there are all sorts of uninformed people out there who think that if you are super strong you will wreck everyone, but who cares what poorly informed people who don't do an activity think about the activity? I don't really care what the average guy in the pub thinks about fiscal policy vs monetary policy either.

A lot of people do feel that people here are too "pro-strength", but I think in general it's not the case. It just comes from things like (i) it being an S&C forum and so we naturally talk a lot about strength, and (ii) we often get people who come here saying max strength is useless, and we're arguing against that, which can lead to a tendency to overstate things. Overall, it's just really hard to strike that balance of "it's a very useful attribute but only one of many" when you are in a forum that is about that very attribute! There are a few people who probably push it too hard, but in general I think 90% of people, if they seem like that, if pushed they would admit they were just not quite expressing themselves right and would agree with the position you laid out. There are maybe one or two people over-stating more agressively, but they may well be trolling/taking the piss.

I think if there's a legitimate complaint about the 'received wisdom' on these boards, it's that there's a tendency to discount sports-specific work.

I was just thinking about it in another way. Strenght is a good attribute, like say speed. Speed obviously helps a fighter, but being fast does not make you a fighter. Even more so, if that speed was measured perhaps by swinging your arms around. Also speed probably helps less when you are on your back, unless we are talking about explosiveness, which also helps less without technique.

But you are right in regards to this forum, this is afterall the S(strenght)&C section. It makes sense. It's probably taken for granted that strenght doesn't make you a better fighter, which is why it is not stated that often on here. Fair enough. More sport specific work would be very cool and interesting though, but I understand it's a lot more challenging to do right.

I felt it was important to address it, and I do believe that many people need a reality and an ego check, but maybe I am overstating things too. I just got home from getting hit in the head, and I feel a lot better now haha!

Last edited:
I know for me in my twenties, I was powerlifting and playing basketball 2-3 times a week. I remember when I quit powerlifting that I got quicker. I believe powerlifting was making me tight in the hips. I feel now that it was slowing me down. And it was very noticeable when I quit lifting. I felt more loose and fluid when I quit doing the powerlifts.

I never saw the fight but maybe Jones is losing some speed and quickness? I don't know. Maybe someone can comment on how Jones looked.

I think powerlifting is helpful if your'e extremely weak. Most sports require movement and explosiveness and powerlifting helps the strength part, but not always the speed and explosiveness part.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with most of this.

But max-strength should never be left out of combat sports because strength allows/contributes to the expression of power, but it definitely shouldn't be a fighter's highest priority.

Being able to squat 500lbs means next to nothing in a fight without any fight training or conditioning. Now if you can do both...

I don't necessarily agree with squatting 500lbs/doing max lifts , especially when taking in account the benefit/risk ratio.
Doing max lifts for an elite fighter, or even an elite athlete is useless most of the time, and the injury occurence percentage just gets through the roof...

If you find the OSP training for Jon Jones video on youtube you will see that he does a LOT of powerlifting. So their training canceled each other out ;)

Jones's coach said power lifting made him gass, I assume he could tell the differences in his fighter.

Any change in training volume, maxes etc will impact performance. A stronger emphasis on max power will come with a greater demand upon cardio. It's more likely Jones just has to adjust to a slightly different body, he relies upon flow state a lot and his engrained output was likely a touch high.

I don't necessarily agree with squatting 500lbs/doing max lifts , especially when taking in account the benefit/risk ratio.
Doing max lifts for an elite fighter, or even an elite athlete is useless most of the time, and the injury occurence percentage just gets through the roof...

Max-strength doesn't refer to 'max lifts' or lifting at your maximum. You can train max-strength without ever going over 90% or 85% of your 1rm. Circuit training and crossfit style MMA workouts cause more injury than maximal strength training. Max strength is an attribute like strength-endurance, power, power-endurance etc. Pick up a book on sports periodization if you want to understand the definitions. Anything by Tudor Bompa is great.

Your statement that max strength training is responsible for injuries in athletes is way off the mark, and I'm guessing it's because you don't understand the term.

Last edited:
200w.gif

Nah guys it's like when Trunks went SS2 the first time against Cell. He was too bulky and slow.

(Despite weighing in at 205 and looking exactly the same)

.....Ring rust

I think it is a matter of priorities for Bones. To be a great mma fighter the order of priorities falls like this.....
1) Technical Skill
a. Wrestling
b. Boxing
c. Muy Thai
d. BJJ
2) Cardio
3) Strength

Obviously Bones has the first two or had rather and logically the only thing he could do to improve performance was max strength.....look at Pudz when he fought Sylvia where Pudz had those priorities bassackwards and Sylvia beat him as probably the ultimate example of this.

Nah guys it's like when Trunks went SS2 the first time against Cell. He was too bulky and slow.

(Despite weighing in at 205 and looking exactly the same)

.....Ring rust

You filthy fucking casual, Trunks never went SS2. That form was in between SS and SS2.

You filthy fucking casual, Trunks never went SS2. That form was in between SS and SS2.
Exactly, he only went as far as Ascended Super Saiyan, which was only the strenght of a SS2 and with a loss of speed. Duh!

Last edited:
I think it is a matter of priorities for Bones. To be a great mma fighter the order of priorities falls like this.....
1) Technical Skill
a. Wrestling
b. Boxing
c. Muy Thai
d. BJJ
2) Cardio
3) Strength

Obviously Bones has the first two or had rather and logically the only thing he could do to improve performance was max strength.....look at Pudz when he fought Sylvia where Pudz had those priorities bassackwards and Sylvia beat him as probably the ultimate example of this.

Lol at using Pudz as an example.

Wow.

Back