Powerlifting exposed

bad seed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Everyone was excited to see Uber Jones with his newfound powerlifting strength beast everyone at 205, but he had trouble with a middling fighter on 3 week's notice?

That does it, powerlifting is a useless martial art.

Gonna take up TKD instead and try some Yair kicks.

You're saying what we're all thinking.

Oh, I get it!! It's funny because he said the exact opposite!!!!!

You're a tricky devil, Opie!!!!

I don't think he had any trouble with OSP at any point in the fight. He got all 5 rounds by utilizing his bread and butter moves - oblique kicks, long range strikes, takedowns, GNP, the occasional spinning shit.

His GNP looked pretty impressive to me too. Overall, the fight wasn't that spectular, but you have to consider that Jon Jones hadn't fought in 16 months prior to this fight.

And from the looks of it, he had no problem picking up OSP's body and slamming it to the ground multiple times.

Last edited:
I don't think he had any trouble with OSP at any point in the fight. He got all 5 rounds by utilizing his bread and butter moves - oblique kicks, long range strikes, takedowns, GNP, the occasional spinning shit.

His GNP looked pretty impressive to me too. Overall, the fight wasn't that spectular, but you have to consider that Jon Jones hadn't fought in 16 months prior to this fight.

And from the looks from it, he had no problem picking up OSP's body and slamming to the ground multiple times.
yeah, he had some good slams later in the fight when OSP was completely gassed. But he stopped all the early takedowns and gave Jones a tougher fight than anyone expected. He also ate some of the hardest and cleanest punches he's taken since Gustaffson.

Oh, and another thing I'd like to mention.

Jones, despite being taller and lankier than OSP, seemed to be stronger and more aggressive of the two. I have no doubt he's going to whoop Cormier's ass worse than their first encounter.

So let's wait and see how this powerlifting experiment of his will pan out in the future. I've got my fingers crossed, and I really hope another win's going to give it the validation among MMA coaches that it deserves.

Powerlifting is overrated for martial arts. Try actually doing combat sports and you'll soon figure that out.

Obviously it helps getting stronger, but being stronger in the PLs doesn't really have major impact on how well you escape from under side control, how well you bridge, how well you shrimp, how well you kick, how well you get that underhook, how well you time that right hand and I could go on for ages. PL is about lifting something heavy in a pre determined range of motion and then sitting on your ass for 5 minutes before you do it again, it's completely different. I must admit, that it does seem to help in the clinch, with a sprawl(if you time it) and maybe a better squeeze.

It's a good tool, and I like PLing a lot, but it's vastly overrated. Technique work is more important, especially in the beginning. You get pretty strong grappling guys for hours each week. Most guys who lift a lot walk around thinking that they are badass fighters. Yes, it does help being big and strong if you want to defend yourself, but walk into a good MMA gym and you'll get a reality check real quick. After the initial burst, you're done.

Powerlifting is overrated for martial arts. Try actually doing combat sports and you'll soon figure that out.

Obviously it helps getting stronger, but being stronger in the PLs doesn't really have major impact on how well you escape from under side control, how well you bridge, how well you shrimp, how well you kick, how well you get that underhook, how well you time that right hand and I could go on for ages. PL is about lifting something heavy in a pre determined range of motion and then sitting on your ass for 5 minutes before you do it again, it's completely different. I must admit, that it does seem to help in the clinch, with a sprawl(if you time it) and maybe a better squeeze.

It's a good tool, and I like PLing a lot, but it's vastly overrated. Technique work is more important, especially in the beginning. You get pretty strong grappling guys for hours each week. Most guys who lift a lot walk around thinking that they are badass fighters. Yes, it does help being big and strong if you want to defend yourself, but walk into a good MMA gym and you'll get a reality check real quick. After the initial burst, you're done.

I have to agree with most of this.

But max-strength should never be left out of combat sports because strength allows/contributes to the expression of power, but it definitely shouldn't be a fighter's highest priority.

Being able to squat 500lbs means next to nothing in a fight without any fight training or conditioning. Now if you can do both...

Strength training is but one of the many factors of MMA training as a whole.

Get a guy that's well rounded with his strength, conditioning, and technique and he'll be a force to be reckoned with. Imagine Brock Lesnar with better striking technique or Shane Carwin with better cardio. Everyone will shit their pants when the bell rings.

Overrated? No. It's just a tool in the arsenal of a MMA fighter.

Last edited:
OSP is the product of an SEC strength program. More like powerlifting helped him go a full 5 rounds with Jones.

Obviously it helps getting stronger, but being stronger in the PLs doesn't really have major impact on how well you escape from under side control, how well you bridge, how well you shrimp, how well you kick, how well you get that underhook, how well you time that right hand and I could go on for ages.

It's not supposed to make you good at grappling or punching.

It's supposed to get you strong in fundamental body movements and make you into a fitter individual.

Strength training is invaluable for the random people who didn't spend their youth playing school sports or generally building a foundation of strength and fitness through a variety of movements.

Taking those random people and asking them to struggle against other people is a recipe for injuries.

Ron Paul for president. The N word. 9/11 was an inside job. Jesus christ is my homeboy and God save the Queen.

I expected an instagram from Naudi or Ido Portal or someone useless like that.

stop-snitchin-white-guy.jpg

Really? Who over-rates it?

I got the impression that people in general either dismiss it totally, or think that it (or max strength development, rather) is just one of many useful tools.

What you actually write seems to me like the consensus amongst almost everyone who knows anything, not a dissenting opinion.

Last edited:
Back