Powerlifter vs K1 Fighter - STRENGTH WARS 2k16 #11

Hotora86

war in the ring, never outside
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just for funzies. Found this entertaining and decided to share. The whole series is awesome. :)

Why do you think he managed to win?

Those videos are cheesy but fun.

He obviously won because of stamina which was to be expected for a fighter. But I imagine some fighters would be too weak as he looks pretty muscular for a kickboxer

Well a real powerlifter specializes in his 1RM in squat, deadlift, and bench. They don't train specifically for muscular endurance so that's my guess. If you put them head to head on a 1RM, my guess is the powerlifter will win. It's a pretty simple concept.Plus the powerlifter might just be a weak powerlifter.

Powerlifters are trying to use the most efficient means possible to lift the most weight in three specific lifts while people doing S&C are trying to get stronger and more athletic.

Well a real powerlifter specializes in his 1RM in squat, deadlift, and bench. They don't train specifically for muscular endurance so that's my guess. If you put them head to head on a 1RM, my guess is the powerlifter will win. It's a pretty simple concept.Plus the powerlifter might just be a weak powerlifter.

Powerlifters are trying to use the most efficient means possible to lift the most weight in three specific lifts while people doing S&C are trying to get stronger and more athletic.

My guess would be the fact that the fighter wasn't being real honest with his pull ups by unloading at the bottom with his feet planted on the floor. Watch the powerlifter do his pull ups, dead hang and stretched out from the bottom every time which is a lot more taxing.

My guess would be the fact that the fighter wasn't being real honest with his pull ups by unloading at the bottom with his feet planted on the floor. Watch the powerlifter do his pull ups, dead hang and stretched out from the bottom every time which is a lot more taxing.
They are allowed to take breaks mid-exercise, it only matters that they do the agreed amount of reps. The fighter basically made a break between every rep, the powerlifter chose the wrong strategy.

They are allowed to take breaks mid-exercise, it only matters that they do the agreed amount of reps. The fighter basically made a break between every rep, the powerlifter chose the wrong strategy.

So it's not necessarily a good test if they aren't performing the same movements.

And I'm not surprised that a powerlifter doesn't have as much muscular endurance with submaximal weights as a K1 fighter. The fighter trains closer to that style than a powerlifter does.

The breaks aren't even the issue im bringing up. The fighter does his pull ups with his feet planted on the floor. If you do pull ups you would know that a dead hang with your feet off the floor is a lot harder than the way the fighter was doing it with his feet firmly planted on the floor. Im not claiming he was cheating or anything but it's definitely not as difficult as starting from a dead hang.

In other words it wasn't the wrong strategy as much as it was the wrong technique

The breaks aren't even the issue im bringing up. The fighter does his pull ups with his feet planted on the floor. If you do pull ups you would know that a dead hang with your feet off the floor is a lot harder than the way the fighter was doing it with his feet firmly planted on the floor. Im not claiming he was cheating or anything but it's definitely not as difficult as starting from a dead hang.

In other words it wasn't the wrong strategy as much as it was the wrong technique
I understand what you mean now. Yes, you're right. The powerlifter could have done the same tho.

I understand what you mean now. Yes, you're right. The powerlifter could have done the same tho.
Yes he could have. But that is why the fighter won imo. The powerlifer ruined him on the weight pull and if the pull ups had been a little more honest he would have gotten him on the deadlifts as well. It was pretty close considering the massive lead he got.

and KSW (Pudz) :p

In all seriousness Pudzianowski was one of the most interesting experiments. he wasn't just some big guy but a (for a HW relatively young) strongman ATG not some random guy. And strongmen on paper are better fitted for fighting since their events are a lot of strength endurance compared to other strength events and Pudzianowski was one of the leanest ones on top of that.

Not a great fighter but interesting to watch and kinda like Cm Punk he has a lot of balls for doing so.

In all seriousness Pudzianowski was one of the most interesting experiments. he wasn't just some big guy but a (for a HW relatively young) strongman ATG not some random guy. And strongmen on paper are better fitted for fighting since their events are a lot of strength endurance compared to other strength events and Pudzianowski was one of the leanest ones on top of that.

Not a great fighter but interesting to watch and kinda like Cm Punk he has a lot of balls for doing so.
Strength yes. Endurance... no. Pudz gassed within 3 mins of the 1st in his first few fights. He had to lean down A LOT and he still usually gasses in the 2nd.

Strength yes. Endurance... no. Pudz gassed within 3 mins of the 1st in his first few fights. He had to lean down A LOT and he still usually gasses in the 2nd.

Yeah but it's the most endurance oriented strength competition i can think of. Olympic lifters are more explosive and in the lower weight classes less bulky so maybe that helps but the event itself is even less endurance foxused. Powerlifting is even less endurance focused. And tha's it.
I guess the next step would be .....crossfit

Yeah but it's the most endurance oriented strength competition i can think of. Olympic lifters are more explosive and in the lower weight classes less bulky so maybe that helps but the event itself is even less endurance foxused. Powerlifting is even less endurance focused. And tha's it.
I guess the next step would be .....crossfit
Hahaha, the crossfit craze is so bad, soon we'll have people claiming crossfit is better for fighting than martial arts! :D

Back