Powerball Mania - You Win...So what will you buy/do?

Some bastard in Massachusetts won it. So I guess I'll just keep posting here then..

<2>

I seriously think I would become one of those lottery winners that regrets winning the big one.

Tonight's Powerball will exceed $700 Million Dollars which is the second highest Lottery in history. The odds of winning this Powerball are one in 292.2 million.

Did you buy any tickets and what will you buy/do if you won?

If I Won:

I'd try to remain anonymous and do no media interviews. I know some states allow you to be anonymous where others have a press event. I'd hire an attorney and financial advisor. I'd take the lump sum and make deposits in various financial institutions. I don't like the idea of all my money in one bank.

I'd but a nice house in Southern California that overlooks the ocean (San Diego area). Buy a couple of cars (luxury sedan and sports car). Take lots of trips all over the world. I'd also help immediate family by paying off their houses, cars, etc. I'd set-up college funds for my nephews. I'd also donate to various charities (animal rescues, military veterans, and health related organizations).

Fun Crazy Thing:

I'd bribe someone on Sherdog so I could be a Moderator. :p

I would buy sherdog. Bribe someone to be a mod ? Lame

If I win I will split it with everyone in Mayberry that likes this post. Not even joking

Congratulations on winning the Powerball. I guess it paid off for you to buy your ticket in Massachusetts. The news is saying how the winner is sharing his prize with 40 members of a MMA Forum called Sherdog. Have fun battling this out in court.

<{hughesimpress}>
Is there a more greed fucker on the face of the earth,than the American taxman.

Move overseas,and they still want a share of your salary,win on their lotto and they take more than half,what a shower of cunts.

Know what else I don't like - when groups win it. I want a lone person to win it and live a baller life rather than a work place of 30 people to win it sorta deal. 300M after taxes/lump sum between 30 people is $10M per person. Great for them, but lame when the prize was SEVEN HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS!!!

While we're on the subject of lotteries - would you buy a raffle ticket for $1000 with the prize being $1M and only 1000 tickets sold? So a 1-in-1000 shot to win $1M. I think a lot of folks can scrounge/save up $1000 that they'd otherwise piss away on useless junk over the year. Find 1000 people willing to do this and each year one person in the group becomes a millionaire.

$10 million is more the kind of amount that I think people can deal with though, that's a "help your friends/family and live comfortably without working again" amount where as $700 million is more "Shit! I have to do something good with this money don't I?" amount.

As far as the second point goes I think its more the thrill rather than the odds people play for, hence why you don't see lottarys offering smaller but more probably top prizes as much.

1. Tell no one.
2. Put it in the bank.
3. Pay off the mortgage.
4. Wait for my contract with my current employer to conclude. Then, leave the job.
5. Spend my days volunteering and traveling.

If you take the cash option, the government takes roughly 36.5% right away, but don't forget that you also have to pay income tax as well come April. Obviously you would be in the highest income tax bracket at I believe 39.9% so whatever you have after the initial 36.5% taken by the government + whatever interest you earned in that left over amount, you are still liable for income tax. That's how 700 million turns into about 270million when Uncle Sam is done with you. Even worse if you live in a state that also charges state tax, you get even less.

There are also several who won a million dollars but many aren't aware of the smaller prizes. A million dollar ticket [5 correct numbers but not the poweball] was sold locally a couple of years ago and they never claimed the prize. The store that sold it was trying to find the winner because they also get money for selling it but nobody came forward.

Back