Power roundhouse kick?

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As opposed to just tagging somebody. How do you modify your form/technique to add more power. Probably at the cost of something else. Speed, defense, etcetera. I feel like I'm probably going to be told it's the muay thai roundhouse. If so, please elaborate.

As opposed to just tagging somebody. How do you modify your form/technique to add more power. Probably at the cost of something else. Speed, defense, etcetera. I feel like I'm probably going to be told it's the muay thai roundhouse. If so, please elaborate.

Replace roundhouse with Right hand. How would you work on creating a stronger right hand? By throwing power R hands on the bag and pads. Do the same thing with your kick. Work on throwing one large power shot at a time, do that for a few rounds each day. A few months down the road, youll have a stronger kick. I also think doing multiple kicks will help build power, sets of 10, 20, 50, etc.

Think like you're trying to kick through your opponent, not stopping as soon as you make contact.

Replace roundhouse with Right hand. How would you work on creating a stronger right hand? By throwing power R hands on the bag and pads. Do the same thing with your kick. Work on throwing one large power shot at a time, do that for a few rounds each day. A few months down the road, youll have a stronger kick. I also think doing multiple kicks will help build power, sets of 10, 20, 50, etc.
I built my right hand up by jacking 4x a day. Even at work

When in camp. I jack 8x a day

I built my right hand up by jacking 4x a day. Even at work

When in camp. I jack 8x a day
You gotta bump those numbers up!! 8 sets of jackoffs is nothing

You should post a video of your roundhouse kick if you want advice... If you are looking for power, in a biomechanical perspective, i think that the muay-thai roundhouse "way"is the best option ( as you already said ... )

the follow through, the use of the arm swing ( which can be considered as a defense sacrifice to gain power by using a counterweight making your body more balanced), ball of foot rotation, relax leg, straight spine etc...

I personnaly prefer karatesque or savatesque kicks which are less telegraphed, more vicious, but less powerfull ( the more chambered form of the leg makes the kick easier to change trajectory and harder to analyse for the opponent)

Maybe you should try to mimic this ( interesting video in slowmotion ):

Last edited:
By putting more hip into it and keeping it mid section.

A lot of it is athleticism. Squats, split squats, box jumps, these will all do well.

Mechanically, it's like what I have in the chicken article, you need to be BIG on the kick, you come up on the ball of the foot and you lift yourself into it. Keep in mind that a lot of the time you won't necessarily feel the difference but your opponent will. If you're kicking from 12-6 you will usually just be tagging them. Normally the best thing to do is take a small step to the outside and drive the hip THROUGH the opponent. Similar to what one of the earlier posters said.

I personally prefer a narrow arc on the kick, where you kick upwards and turn in - this is typically how Thai's kick (the arcing round kick you're taught in thai classes in the west isn't really indicative of traditional muay thai). When you kick in a wide arc, what happens is the kick comes out and round and by the time you've hit the target you're near the end of the movement.

With a narrow arc the kick will come upwards and in and you hit the target as you're accelerating rather than on the end. Keep in mind that striking power comes from the acceleration, not the speed itself.

http://8limbs.us/muay-thai-thailand/golden-kick-how-to-improve-your-thai-kick < this goes into it quite well. It's portrayed a little bit as a forgotten technique in this article, and I don't really think that is the case, but either way it's good to explain how to make your kick more reliable. This is pretty much how Yodsanklai kicks most of the time.

I like to ad a little spring to my non kicking foot as i go up to the balls of my foot.

I also stay semi relaxed all the way until right before impact. Then i lock and tense up. I relax after the kick have gone all the way into the target.

A lot of it is athleticism. Squats, split squats, box jumps, these will all do well.

Mechanically, it's like what I have in the chicken article, you need to be BIG on the kick, you come up on the ball of the foot and you lift yourself into it. Keep in mind that a lot of the time you won't necessarily feel the difference but your opponent will. If you're kicking from 12-6 you will usually just be tagging them. Normally the best thing to do is take a small step to the outside and drive the hip THROUGH the opponent. Similar to what one of the earlier posters said.

I personally prefer a narrow arc on the kick, where you kick upwards and turn in - this is typically how Thai's kick (the arcing round kick you're taught in thai classes in the west isn't really indicative of traditional muay thai). When you kick in a wide arc, what happens is the kick comes out and round and by the time you've hit the target you're near the end of the movement.

With a narrow arc the kick will come upwards and in and you hit the target as you're accelerating rather than on the end. Keep in mind that striking power comes from the acceleration, not the speed itself.

http://8limbs.us/muay-thai-thailand/golden-kick-how-to-improve-your-thai-kick < this goes into it quite well. It's portrayed a little bit as a forgotten technique in this article, and I don't really think that is the case, but either way it's good to explain how to make your kick more reliable. This is pretty much how Yodsanklai kicks most of the time.

its interesting to see how much the sport has grown, and something like this, as little as maybe 5 years ago, wasnt common knowledge. Your just barely starting to see this catch on everywhere. You still see the majority of guys with the big wide arc and over rotating.

its interesting to see how much the sport has grown, and something like this, as little as maybe 5 years ago, wasnt common knowledge. Your just barely starting to see this catch on everywhere. You still see the majority of guys with the big wide arc and over rotating.

It was pretty common knowledge 10+ years ago in my circles, it's more to do with the expansion of Channels like yours on YouTube and opening up to more information being available.

It's worth mentioning in the UK, this is standard technique for kicking, because Sken (controversial though he is) taught that technique for kicking.

Equally, my coach Thoethai (not affiliated with Sken at all) fought pre-golden age, and he showed me the technique that way.

It was pretty common knowledge 10+ years ago in my circles, it's more to do with the expansion of Channels like yours on YouTube and opening up to more information being available.

where are you from?

I still see most gyms, most coaches, and most fighters kick with a wide arc around here.

It's worth mentioning in the UK, this is standard technique for kicking, because Sken (controversial though he is) taught that technique for kicking.

Equally, my coach Thoethai (not affiliated with Sken at all) fought pre-golden age, and he showed me the technique that way.

I believe it, the UK has a much higher overall skill level than the US. You guys are lucky in that sense. MT just has not been a US sport, until.............now. Were at the beginning of the take off point. I dunno exactly where US will rank, but in the near future, I predict US fighters being one of the top ranked foreign countries, similar to australia, UK, France, Holland, etc.

Yeah it's like, if you just flick up a kick very quickly as fast as you can, you're not going to get any power into it, if you slow that down and you drive into it - you get the power. It's really just another way of saying mass + speed = power, I prefer to think of acceleration being what gives you power though because sometimes people get confused and think a big leg moving quickly will hit hard, when it's more the actual drive and engagement that powers that big leg that will do it.

I believe it, the UK has a much higher overall skill level than the US. You guys are lucky in that sense. MT just has not been a US sport, until.............now. Were at the beginning of the take off point. I dunno exactly where US will rank, but in the near future, I predict US fighters being one of the top ranked foreign countries, similar to australia, UK, France, Holland, etc.

Hopefully! Right now I'm pretty comfortable saying that France is the best country besides Thailand for Muay Thai. I think the UK/Australia/Japan are floating around just after that. I'm not sure where Holland fits in though because honestly they're not good at Muay Thai, they're good kickboxers but even then I don't think they have the same iron grip on kickboxing as they used to.

I'm a little bit bias as a patreon backer but I'm still of the opinion that Sylvie is the best American muay thai fighter, I've not been hugely impressed with Kevin Ross and Joe Schilling but they both seem to be in the mid to late career now too. I'll be interested to see what young Americans will come up the rankings. I'm sure I won't hear about them till they're like 30 though :p

Yeah it's like, if you just flick up a kick very quickly as fast as you can, you're not going to get any power into it, if you slow that down and you drive into it - you get the power. It's really just another way of saying mass + speed = power, I prefer to think of acceleration being what gives you power though because sometimes people get confused and think a big leg moving quickly will hit hard, when it's more the actual drive and engagement that powers that big leg that will do it.

Hopefully! Right now I'm pretty comfortable saying that France is the best country besides Thailand for Muay Thai. I think the UK/Australia/Japan are floating around just after that. I'm not sure where Holland fits in though because honestly they're not good at Muay Thai, they're good kickboxers but even then I don't think they have the same iron grip on kickboxing as they used to.

I'm a little bit bias as a patreon backer but I'm still of the opinion that Sylvie is the best American muay thai fighter, I've not been hugely impressed with Kevin Ross and Joe Schilling but they both seem to be in the mid to late career now too. I'll be interested to see what young Americans will come up the rankings. I'm sure I won't hear about them till they're like 30 though :p

yeah i was talking the other day about this, the big dogs in american muay thai, such as schilling and ross, and the others are getting old and near retirement probably in another 5 years or so. We got guys like Willy Whipple sort of coming into the spotlight. Regarding Sylvie, i dont think she is the best american muay thai fighter. I really dont think she is all that great but I cannot knock her, because she has done for a woman, what the equivalent of a man fighting 200+ fights etc. That being said, she seems rather stiff, and skill level not that high, and since she is fighting women, the level of competition is not the same, as if a man had 200+ fights, but nonetheless she has done the equivalent for a woman. One thing she has done, is learn the majority of her MT correctly the first time, from master K and then directly to thailand. And she has shared a ton of knowledge, however if you factor in someone getting the opportunity to train with all the best thailand has to offer I dont know. However I dont know if her skill level is a reflection of that. And I think someone like Janet Todd stands a very good chance at beating her. Sylvie has alot of experience and knowledge to share.

Back