POWER RANGERS Movie (Features First Gay Character; First Critics Reviews)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to watching it. Echoing the majority, I loved it. Rita was kinda hokey but also an appreciated throwback. Loved the theme of being older, how the world is now, yada yada. Be cool if the actual movie ran with something like that, could pay homage to the OG's while ushering in the new schoolers. Woulda been nice to get JDF in there, wonder what happened. A few months ago I saw a comicon interview where Jason talked about a Green Ranger spin off web series. Where it follows tommy when he wasn't with the team. Dude could still pull it off if he went paleo, haha.

I remember back in the day, when Tommy fought Goldar without his powers in that wheat field. He said a line, something like, "I almost gave up on myself, Goldar. Thanks for reminding me of all the good I've done. Not just as the Green Ranger, but as me, plain old Tommy." I was a little dude at the time struggling with a heart condition and low income family issues. hearing that changed my perspective on the world, lol. I always wanted to tell JDF that, as cheesey as it sounds.

He was approached to be in this film but he also wants to be in the upcoming film.

This could potentially prevent him from future projects. If you notice the film has not made any dinosaur or animal references on their costume that is owned by saban.

The film was literally power rangers meets watchmen.

It was good until rita. Should just had stayed with kimberlys skin cracking, voice changing, maybe about to reach its final form with horns sticking out then end with tommy doing his thang...

It has begun:

A legal battle is brewing over the rights of filmmakers to make fan videos based on the copyrighted works of others. Music video director Joseph Kahn, who posted a 14-minute Power Rangers take-off last night that quickly went viral, says he’s being “harassed” by Haim Saban, who owns rights to the franchise and is jointly producing his own Power Rangers film with Lionsgate.

The short film, produced by Adi Shankar (an executive producer on Lone Survivor and A Walk Among The Tombstones) and Jil Hardin and co-written by Kahn, Dutch Southern and star James Van Der Beek, was posted on YouTube and Vimeo. Katee Sackhoff also stars. As of now, it’s still up on YouTube and has jumped from 716,000 views to 1.4 million views in an hour. Vimeo took it down today after receiving a copyright takedown complaint from Saban Brands.

“Vimeo is the host for your videos,” the site told Kahn in an email today, “and as a host for user-generated content we are fully compliant with the notice and takedown provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. It looks like your video was removed due to a copyright infringement claim by: Tim Quinlan, SCG Power Rangers LLC.”

More here: http://deadline.com/2015/02/power-rangers-fan-video-legal-fight-haim-saban-joseph-kahn-1201380926/

This was really good.

The Bulk and Skull scene was fucking hilarious!

But Power Rangers is way better without all the kiddy bullshit.

After that kid came into turbo to be a ranger and become 6ft tall and muscular when morphed, i gave up. Never watched any episode after that

As a kid, I always hated the kid tagalong in cartoons and movies. I guess they were probably trying to relate to the young audience and make us feel included, but I always had a reaction like "wtf is Chuck Norris doing teaming up with this little wimp?" (R.I.P. Jonathan Brandeis)

Sidekicks_front.jpg

After that kid came into turbo to be a ranger and become 6ft tall and muscular when morphed, i gave up. Never watched any episode after that
ugh now I remember why I stopped watching. That kid was the WORST.

As a kid, I always hated the kid tagalong in cartoons and movies. I guess they were probably trying to relate to the young audience and make us feel included, but I always had a reaction like "wtf is Chuck Norris doing teaming up with this little wimp?" (R.I.P. Jonathan Brandeis)

Sidekicks_front.jpg
Brandis wasn't annoying and at least in his teens. This kid was like if Jake Lloyd became a power ranger.

sigh, can someone explain what's the issue here?

Seems like saban can't live up to this grittyness of shankar's project with his kiddy approach to his upcoming film?

Or is he just milking $$$$?

I don't know but it's fucking stupid. I sent the link to a friend of mine last night and she was like, "I'm tired. I'll watch it tomorrow." Well tomorrow's here and the shit's gone.

But you know, really, I'm surprised it hasn't already been re-uploaded by someone else. I mean, c'mon, this is the Internet! This shit should be like Whack-A-Mole, take one down and another pops up somewhere else.

It was OK. Kinda felt like they put a lot of cussing and violence in it just for the sake of having cussing and violence.

It was OK. Kinda felt like they put a lot of cussing and violence in it just for the sake of having cussing and violence.

Yup, felt very generic and was trying way too hard to be edgy.

It's still on youtube.

Last edited:
Oh my god I had totally forgotten about that movie. That one was amazing!! I might rewatch it some day...

I borrowed that VHS from my cousin when I was a little kid. Watched it every day. That was like 18 years ago and I never gave it back.

I also had the toy of the white rangers talking sword...and this MMPR comic book which printed my name as one of the characters and in the end of the story they made me an honourary ranger...I was so happy.

As for the short film its really good. The movie doesnt need to be that dark though as long as the fighting is good and the zord fight are something like Pacific rim.

I thought it was pretty well done. I remember being a kid and setting the VCR to record Power Rangers.

As for the short film its really good. The movie doesnt need to be that dark though as long as the fighting is good and the zord fight are something like Pacific rim.

I got into an argument with a friend earlier about the dark tone of the film. She didn't like it. She said she likes the world of the show and thinks it's a bad idea to make them turn against each other and be all mentally fucked up.

Superhero movies don't sell these days unless you make them all grim and dark.

Superhero movies don't sell these days unless you make them all grim and dark.

I don't really agree with that. Guardians of the Galaxy obviously doesn't fit that bill, though admittedly it is an outlier. But really, what other than Batman really fits the "grim and dark" description? Maybe Superman, but none of the Marvel stuff really.

Yup, felt very generic and was trying way too hard to be edgy.

I'm not sure about generic, but the way-too-hard-to-be-edgy was intentional. It was supposed to be a statement on superhero movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back