1. Rising Heavyweight prospect & LFA Heavyweight title challenger, Jared "The Mountain" Vanderaa stops by TODAY at 7:00 PM EST for a LIVE Q&A before he takes on Richard Odoms next Friday at LFA 15. Check it out: here.
    Dismiss Notice

POWER RANGERS Movie (Features First Gay Character; First Critics Reviews) | Page 39

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackWhite Brown Belt

JackWhite
    I don't know. I really doubt it bombs.

My main question is the quality of the film. I want to see it, but if word of mouth trends downward; I will wait for a DVD release.

2. Organic Damage καλλίστῃ

Organic Damage
    I think if the franchise has been going through so many iterations for this long there is enough of a fanbase for it to make money.

But I don't think that fanbase is so discerning that they expect a critical darling.

JackWhite likes this.
  3. SoCalprodigy09 Brown Belt

SoCalprodigy09
    Lol Jason David Frank is the famewhore of the franchise who holds this weird 20 year grudge against Austin St John.

4. king of theRing Brown Belt

king of theRing
    Never understood that beef

5. mmaelitefan000 Brown Belt

mmaelitefan000
    is this for reals? hollywood is really running out of ideas.

6. SoCalprodigy09 Brown Belt

SoCalprodigy09
    From an interview I saw once with JDF, it sounds your typical "He thought he was tough, but I'm tougher". Austin St John doesn't even comment on it. He actually grew up and went out saving lives in the middle east while JDF was becoming the darling at comic con and calling out CM Punk lol

7. king of theRing Brown Belt

king of theRing
    Remember a power rangers con where Austin st John said he was gonna try out for ultimate fighter? That would have been fun I think

8. SoCalprodigy09 Brown Belt

SoCalprodigy09
    Man he's put on some pounds lol he probably gets demolished

9. TheWorm Brown Belt

TheWorm
    I read the updated thread title about the two cameos and my immediate thought was "oh god, don't tell me it's going to be Bulk and Skull", lol.

10. Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator

Dragonlordxxxxx
    Update: March 20, 2017

First Critics Reviews for POWER RANGERS Are a Mixed Bag

[​IMG]

The Hollywood Reporter - Israelite, orchestrates a vastly more complex array of characters, action set pieces and technical resources for a combined effect that maintains dramatic tension even while teetering on the brink of excess. CGI characters and special effects sequences by Weta Workshop are seamlessly integrated and consistently thrilling. [Rating: Good]

Screen International - A teen group therapy session disguised as a superhero movie, "Power Rangers" is numbingly predictable and cynically made, recycling myriad blockbuster tropes but draining their adolescent pleasures in the process. [Rating: Bad]

Variety - After 90 minutes of hip and hollow teen banter, woefully generic origin story, and molehill-posing-as-mountain-size triumph, “Power Rangers” finally uncorks one of those high-flying digital-blitzkrieg action finales. Just because you know a sequence like this one is bad for you doesn’t mean that it’s not fun to watch. [Rating: Bad]

Forbes - At its best, Power Rangers is a throwback to the likes of Masters of the Universe and the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. It’s from a time when getting a darker, more serious big-budget feature based on your favorite kid-friendly property, one that felt like a real film, was a rare and splendid thing. [Rating: 7/10]

Metro - “Power Rangers” is not quite a gritty reboot, but also not quite sure what it is instead. It’s a mash-up of approaches that don’t go together. It’s hard to take even semi-seriously a pricey romp where the villain is named Rita Repulsa.

TheWrap - It packs enough zing to make you forgive the origin-story clichés. And the predictable save-the-world stuff. And the insanely ubiquitous product placement. (Whatever Krispy Kreme paid to be a plot point in this movie, they got their money's worth.) [Rating: Good]

11. SidJustice Master of the world and the universe

SidJustice
    Color me shocked. Shocked I say.

[​IMG]

Myrddin Wild likes this.
  12. One MMA Fan Tear of Blood

One MMA Fan
    <18>

Myrddin Wild and JackWhite like this.
  13. RoryFan Wears Hats

RoryFan
    I kind of want to watch it just based on this review. I wonder how much Krispy Kreme forked out.

14. One MMA Fan Tear of Blood

One MMA Fan
    Eh.. who liked the Power Rangers growing up will have fun with the movie no mater how bad it is cause that's what the original was bad tv for kids.

Who ever expects this to be some good, deep, well written thing no shit you will be disappointed.

Silly ass movie to remember some stuff from the time you were a kid, so eat that popcorn, drink that soda and enjoy a mindless fun 90 minutes.. this will be forgotten in the same month that you saw it.. xD

shadow_priest_x likes this.
  15. SidJustice Master of the world and the universe

SidJustice
    Except they took all the fun things out of what made it nice for kids, and turned it into a "dark" troubled teens overcome their personal issues to save the world romp.

One MMA Fan likes this.
  16. One MMA Fan Tear of Blood

One MMA Fan
    Well the kids grew up.. so it's a blend to have the nostalgia factor but something for the older ones now that are in their 30's and have "teens" for the newer generations I'm sure they considered more angles to maximize their product and get the most out of it.

I'm no so sure why we make such a big fuss about it... :D o well that's just my own opinion of course.

Myrddin Wild likes this.
  17. shadow_priest_x Steel Belt

shadow_priest_x
    Well mixed reviews is certainly better than it could have been so I'll take it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  18. One MMA Fan Tear of Blood

One MMA Fan

l@nd0

:rustled:

Myrddin Wild likes this.
  19. TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt

TheRuthlessOne
    Power Rangers is breaking down a barrier no superhero movie has before. The Lionsgate reboot of the '90s children's TV show is the first big-budget superhero movie to feature an LGBT protagonist.

DROPPED
    R
    O
    P
    P
    E
    D

Maybe they should have spent more time making a good movie and not shoehorning in LGBT they would have got better reviews

shadow_priest_x likes this.
  20. Horse Style Black Belt

Horse Style
    I wasn't gonna watch this even if it had all good reviews.

Maybe I would have tuned in if they made the movie with cheesy dialogue and overdramatic posing like in the 90s show. They could pass it off like a comedy similar to LEGO Batman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.