POWER RANGERS Movie (Features First Gay Character; First Critics Reviews)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers were my shit back in the day. Black Ranger was my favorite. Remember getting the gun axe for Christmas one year. Had the whole team as action figures, if you pressed a button it would flip their head into the helmet and then to the human face.

So yeah I'm gonna watch this even if it's shitty

Wait so a Chinese dude is playing a guy named Oscar Fernandez? Wtf?

i am surprised there is demand for a power rangers movie

It makes a lot of sense, actually. Power Rangers came on in 1993, making me 2 years old when it first debuted. I watched the different iterations of the Rangers for 10 years or so. I'm 24 now, and I'm pumped about a movie using the original Rangers I grew up with. This film has appeal from 8 year olds to 30 year olds, the fan base spans multiple decades at this point.

You get the kids who are fans bringing their parents AND you get the parents who were fans bringing their kids. Win/Win.

i don't get why everyone was expecting a close remake that goes as far as a black black ranger and asian yellow ranger.

with the racist stigma alone, the film wouldn't have even made it into production. people complaining about this are racists who think it's okay to support a racist cause so long as it has something to cover it up just a little bit.

and on the general power ranger/sentai front, everybody should know how rangers are typically cast through 20 fucking years. not every black ranger is black. not every yellow ranger is yellow. but red rangers are the typical jocks. pink rangers are girly girls. black/green rangers are the quirky guys. yellow rangers are the no bullshit chicks. and blue rangers are the nerds.

I'm disappointed they're using the same exact characters (Zack, Billy, Jason, etc) but changing their race and shit. Might as well make Tommy chinese brazilian tranny.

Nothing racist at all about making the black guy the black ranger or the asian girl the yellow ranger.

Update: December 17, 2015

Lionsgate Moves POWER RANGERS Release Date to March 24, 2017

Lionsgate-Power-Rangers-043015-Dragonlord.jpg

Lionsgate has moved back the releases of two of its key franchises — its first Power Rangers movie and its fourth and final Divergent film.

Power Rangers will move back two months from Jan. 13, 2017, to March 24, 2017, placing it in the potentially lucrative spring break period. That date had been occupied by The Divergent Series: Ascendant, so the Shailene Woodley sci-fier will also move back two months to June 9, 2017 — giving the last film in the series a summer playdate.

It’s the second time that Power Rangers movie has been moved back. Its original release date of July 22, 2016, was shifted back six months earlier this year to the January slot.

Lionsgate and Saban Brands announced the Power Rangers project in 2014. The studio has tapped Dean Israelite to direct and cast five young actors to star — Becky G. as the Yellow Ranger, Ludi Lin as the Black Ranger, Naomi Scott as the Pink Ranger, Dacre Montgomery as the Red Ranger and R.J. Cyler as the Blue Ranger.

‘Power Rangers’ and Final ‘Divergent’ Movie’s Release Dates Moved Back

Update: December 27, 2015

Concept Art from Rejected POWER RANGERS Movie Pitch

Thanks to two conceptual artists, Alex Ruiz and Gregory Semkow, we can see the artwork they created for an unnamed director that didn't get hired for the Power Rangers movie. The artwork includes Zordon, Rita Repulsa, The Control Room, Alpha, T-Rex Zord, and Megazord. The first two images below were created by Alex Ruiz and the rest were created by Gregory Semkow.

"This is some concept art I made for a director who was pitching his film version of Power Rangers," Ruiz revealed. "If you guys remember someone made an amazing PR fan film this year, which lit the fire under many asses to get a full on Hollywood film made. So, many a director jumped at the opportunity. Unfortunately our guy didn't get it, it went to another director. Such is the nature of the film business."

Explaining Megazord's visor: "The director had a very cool idea of wanting to see the Rangers through a transparent visor, instead of the traditional head."

jbAyxru.jpg

hw1jk3h.jpg

Semkow: "Been pretty busy with work so haven't posted much lately, but thought I'd share one from earlier in the year. I had the chance to work with a director friend on his pitch for the new Power Rangers movie, ultimately a different director was hired - but it was fun nonetheless. Here is what the T-Rex Zord might have looked like, we'll see what actually turns up in the film...."

12033093_10207756181960906_2350926198018260234_n.jpg

Semkow: "Another from the power rangers pitch I worked on... Rita Repulsa, lol. I imagined her body armor as constantly flowing and changing shape around her body, kind of like Rorschachs mask in Watchmen... anyway, kinda fun trying to make power rangers cool, lol."
12065843_10207954780965757_983803330497665418_n.jpg

12190051_10207956642492294_3495878099758131350_n.jpg

12219337_10207956643292314_9212153381336416796_n.jpg

5QhK18Y.jpg

deM0Suv.jpg

Concept Art From Rejected Power Rangers Movie Pitch

I remember loving the MMPR as a kid, I went to see them at Universal Studios when I was a kid, Great part of my childhood. I'll check this out just for kicks, but basically after Jason, Zack and Trini left, I basically stopped watching the show.

Zordon and Alpha look evil as fuck in that art.

I remember loving the MMPR as a kid, I went to see them at Universal Studios when I was a kid, Great part of my childhood. I'll check this out just for kicks, but basically after Jason, Zack and Trini left, I basically stopped watching the show.

i hated that in the early/mid 90s, new episodes of shows only aired on weekday afternoons in the 3-5 block (where 3 was after school ended for most kids and 5 was when either news or some talk show aired). as a kid whose parents worked full time jobs, i was stuck in after school programs and never really got to see all of power rangers. i had to play catch up over the summer.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Sage Northcutt is perfect for the leader Red Ranger?

sage-northcutt.jpg

If not Red, maybe he can be White/Green Ranger in the second movie.

Becky Gomez as a ranger? I don't recall a brown ranger.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Sage Northcutt is perfect for the leader Red Ranger?

sage-northcutt.jpg

If not Red, maybe he can be White/Green Ranger in the second movie.

funny. after thinking about it, he looks too fucking happy for a power ranger. of the guys, i only recall the black ranger being anything but serious, the blue ranger only being comedic because he was a nerd who didn't know how to fight, but his brains were still more prominent than his shit fighting skill. the show could have easily been darker than it was, but it was kept comical overall cuz of the amount of jobbers rita kept throwing at them.

Update: February 2, 2016

Elizabeth Banks to Play Rita Repulsa in POWER RANGERS

Elizabeth-Banks-Power-Rangers-020216-Dragonlord.jpg

Elizabeth Banks is going bad. The actress has signed on to star as the villain in Power Rangers, Lionsgate’s big-screen take on the 1990s kids television show, THR has learned. Banks will play classic Power Ranger character Rita Repulsa, an alien witch who has designs on the planet.

Dean Israelite, who helmed the time travel-found footage movie Project Almanac, is on board to direct the project, which is being produced by Saban Films’ Haim Saban and Brian Casentini. as well as Allison Shearmur. X-Men: First Class writers Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz wrote the script.

A quintet of relative newcomers — RJ Cyler, Becky G, Ludi Lin, Naomi Scott, and Dacre Montgomery — are playing the teens who are infused with powers, forming a colorful team who must stop the world from being conquered.

Last year, Banks directed, acted in and produced Pitch Perfect 2 for Universal and also reprised her role of Effie Trinket for Mockingjay Part 2, the final installment of the Hunger Games franchise that was made by Lionsgate.

Elizabeth Banks to Play Villain in 'Power Rangers' Movie (Exclusive)

Update: February 2, 2016

Elizabeth Banks to Play Rita Repulsa in POWER RANGERS

Elizabeth-Banks-Power-Rangers-020216-Dragonlord.jpg
So the only white person in this cast is going to play the villain?

edit: nevermind, I saw some ginger kid on the first page.

Been watching Linkara's History of Power Rangers over the past few months, up to the last two seasons. The end of 'In Space' still brings a tear to my eye.
http://atopthefourthwall.com/other-videos/?ovc=hopr

Space was the last season I was invested in as a kid. I'm watching the history video from that link you posted. God the story is so good that season. I think Space is the best season than all that came before it(haven't seen anything that comes after it). I kind of wish that's where they were taking this new movie. A Power Ranger in Space movie would be a mix of a super hero movie, Star Trek/Star Wars, and a kaiju movie all rolled in one.

I think PR is an untapped gold mine as far as movies go(as well as dbz). It's just dying for someone to come along and do it well. I wish they would ditch the kiddie stuff(I know I know that's what Power Rangers is) and make it more of a watchable thing for people of all ages. That short that came out a while back showed the potential PR has imo. Although they took things to the extreme I don't think they need to take it that far. Just make it a little more mature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back