Potential Title Picture In Women's Flyweight.

msm1981

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
With the Women's Flyweight division not being loaded
up in big names who would figure in the title picture early
since I'm thinking somebody like a Bec Rawlings or Justine
Kish or even Joanne Calderwood do to the fact if they have
a resurgence in there careers thanks to being in a proper
weight class they could be contenders.

Valentina Shevchenko has to be considered the favorite to be the first dominant WFLW champ. She is undersized at WBW and was still elite.

That said, I love Joanne Calderwood and 125 is clearly her new home.

Valentina Shevchenko has to be considered the favorite to be the first dominant WFLW champ. She is undersized at WBW and was still elite.
She is 3-2 in UFC, Andrade was 3-3 in WBW and way more undersized. Also weight cuts, she will perform worse at 125 lbs.
Joanne Calderwood yes with one win more clear challanger, because she is already 1-0 as WFLW. She will perform better as flwyeight no doubt without stupid weight cut.
Perfect matchup JoJo against Shevchenko as title eliminator.

Valentina barely cuts to 135, and she was at the very top of that division. She should clean house at 125.

She is 3-2 in UFC, Andrade was 3-3 in WBW and way more undersized. Also weight cuts, she will perform worse at 125 lbs.
Joanne Calderwood yes with one win more clear challanger, because she is already 1-0 as WFLW. She will perform better as flwyeight no doubt without stupid weight cut.
That would be an awesome fight

Andrade has already dropped to 115, but would obviously competitive at 125. Shevchenkos 2 losses were both close decisions to the Nunes. Definitely not a knock against Shevchenko.

Her losses are to Nunes, who cuts a ton to reach 135. Do you really expect similar competition for Shev at 125?

Valentina Shevchenko DESTROYS EVERYONE at flyweight with EASE.

She already beat the elite bantamweights in Holm, Pena, and the CURRENT CHAMP Nunes at their own game.

Imagine what she does to the poor flyweights. They will be the most one sided, dominant, and flawless performances you've ever seen in wmma.

giphy.gif

Bec Rawlings or Justine
Kish
No way in hell. Neither should even be top 15.

Joanne Calderwood
Possible, but I wouldn't count on it.

Top talent in the division should be Shev, Maia, Kuma, Davis, and Pena when she comes back if she does decide to move down. I'd put a few TUFers like Honchak, Roxy, Sarj, and Bennett along with KGB Lee and Porto ahead of those three you listed as well.

Bec isn't any good
Kish, nobody wants to see a woman shit herself
JoJo, maybe
This division has Valentina written all over it.

Valentina barely cuts to 135, and she was at the very top of that division. She should clean house at 125.

But she will cut weight, that's why she is sitting in UFC Performance Instititute, if it will be so easy why she needs nutrionists? People perform worse after weight cut, less power, more durable, and she is very bulky girl. She isn't exactly KO artist, 2 KO's during her competition as kickboxer/mt. Girls will walk thorugh her shots. She is 3-2 in UFC and her style didn't evolve too much last 2 years, she is very conservative, girl with right gameplan and attitutde will give her hard time. She was always counterpuncher and point fighter, it won't change at 125 lbs. She has one finish in UFC.

Andrade has already dropped to 115, but would obviously competitive at 125. Shevchenkos 2 losses were both close decisions to the Nunes. Definitely not a knock against Shevchenko.
I don't think first was close at all, she just won 1 round, there was no controversy, second fight was most boring wmma title fight ever, nothing to be proud of, both Nunes and Shevchenko.

Top talent in the division should be Shev, Maia, Kuma, Davis, and Pena when she comes back if she does decide to move down. I'd put a few TUFers like Honchak, Roxy, Sarj, and Bennett along with KGB Lee and Porto ahead of those three you listed as well.
I agree there's a lot of potential, but division will need time to build up.

Her losses are to Nunes, who cuts a ton to reach 135. Do you really expect similar competition for Shev at 125?

Some fighters doesn't exactly perform better in lower weight classes, best example Whittaker, he usually fights bigger guys as middleweight and is succesfull and he struggled as welterweight.
When you cut weight you have one problem more during preparation, fight week etc. sometimes it can backfire.
With Shevchenko I'm just curious, but like I said she will perform worse, maybe it will be balanced by smaller oponnents but maybe not.

Of the ones that are moving to 125 (or already at 125)..

Valentina and JoJo are the obvious two. Val has always been undersized at 135 and JoJo looked 1000x bvetter in the fight against Letourneau than she ever has at 115 (although, how much of Val's soul was stolen by first Joanna and then USADA is another question - not sure which Val she was facing.). Davis, im not sure, be interesting to see if a) she can makie 125, and b) how much it takes out of her. People seem to think shes a small BW, shes not. Then throw in Mara Borello who looked sharp in her debut. She will be there or thereabouts

Of the ones already at 125 in other orgs..

Jennifer Maia and Agnieszka Niedzwiedz will both be pretty quickly in contention depending how long Invicta can hold onto one of them. I think a lot depends on Tuf. If Honchak wins TUF then Maia v Honchak is really the fight to make. Invicta champ v former invicta champ. Be good to see Porto come over as well

From TUF

Clearly Roxy and Barb are the two standouts. Eubanks has had a good tournament, Nicco, not so sure, I like her, but Im not sure she might be a bit small when it comes to the rub.

Wildcards

Be interesting to see how Jessica Eye performs dropping down. Shes on a shocking run and her next fight is make or break. lose and her UFC career is toast. Same can probably be said for Lauren Murphy. Lost badly on TUF (and whined a lot).. if she loses shes out, but if she wins will kick off ranked.

So How I would have things ranked... (note, that Vals low ranking is purely because she hasnt fought at 125)

==1 to 8=====
Jennifer Maia
Barb Honchak
Roxy Modafferi
Agnieszka Niedwiedz
Joanna Calderwood
Valentina Shevchenko
Mara Borello
Vanessa Porto
==9 to 11=====
Sijara Eubanks, Jessica Eye*, Lauren Murphy*
==12 to 15====
Nicco Montano, DeAnna Bennet, Andrea Lee

* if they win, lose and they can say goodbye to the UFC

ps. The only way Rawlings even makes top 15 is if they release the rankings on Monday

Jennifer Maia and Agnieszka Niedzwiedz will both be pretty quickly in contention depending how long Invicta can hold onto one of them. I think a lot depends on Tuf. If Honchak wins TUF then Maia v Honchak is really the fight to make. Invicta champ v former invicta champ. Be good to see Porto come over as well

I don't think they will made Invicta champion against TUF winner fight.
It will look bad when Invicta champion will deafeat UFC champion, that's why I think winner Maia/Niedzwiedz will have to win at least 1 fight in UFC to challange UFC champion.
So unlikekly because TUF finale is same date as Invcita championship fight, and TUF winner will defend title first 3-4 months probably.

That said, I love Joanne Calderwood and 125 is clearly her new home.

Why the constant love for JoJo? She is either complaining, pulling out of fights or underachieving when she does fight. She will be a gatekeeper at 125.

But she will cut weight, that's why she is sitting in UFC Performance Instititute, if it will be so easy why she needs nutrionists? People perform worse after weight cut, less power, more durable, and she is very bulky girl. She isn't exactly KO artist, 2 KO's during her competition as kickboxer/mt. Girls will walk thorugh her shots. She is 3-2 in UFC and her style didn't evolve too much last 2 years, she is very conservative, girl with right gameplan and attitutde will give her hard time. She was always counterpuncher and point fighter, it won't change at 125 lbs. She has one finish in UFC.
Lol dude you're actually clueless. Her WALKAROUND weight is 135. She cuts ZERO Ibs to make 135 and has came in at 133 a few times. She will cut at the most TEN lbs to make 125. She is at the UPI because there are many more things there than just nutritionist that benefit your mma career.

You know who else isn't a KO artist? Jon Jones, Dominick Cruz, Mighty Mouse, Wonderboy etc too many to name yet they are still the elite mixed martial artist and some of the best fighters in their weight class. Funny enough one of them happens to be P4P #1 right now. She should essentially be 4-1 with her only UFC loss being avenged but she was a victim of some of the worst judging ever seen in the sport which majority of the MMA community agrees with.

Back