Postmortem of the Democratic Party: Wtf happened?

Islam Imamate

Master of sports in Moderation.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Some liberals are blaming the loss on white supremacy and patriarchy and xenophobia and whatnot. But I am glad to see some on the left are taking different lessons from this loss.

Edit: Even Chris Matthews on fucking MSNBC is moving away from calling Trump racist and acknowledging the flaws in Hillary's campaign

Both agree Hillary was a terrible candidate to put forward. Basically, they're saying that the Democrats abandoned the working class and that blaming this on racism or sexism is misdiagnosing the problem. In fact, its precisely part of the problem. One can't appeal myopically to the political elites("a few hundred policy wonks") and then expect the working class to come out and vote for you. Brow beating them by calling them racist and sexist is not a solution.

The Democratic party crashed and burned but hopefully it can rise from the ashes as something that can actually inspire a broader coalition of people instead of a cold political machine that relies on celebrity endorsements, campus politics, and "pathologically centrist think tank nerds".

Last edited:
Blue collar workers have legitimate concerns about their livelihoods in a global economy. Trump spoke to them. Whether or not protectionism can cause a net increase in incomes for Americans (I doubt it can), for millions of people protectionism means the difference between having an actual livelihood and working in retail or fast food. The impact of "bringing jobs back" on people's lives would be enormous.

Dems thought they were a lock for everyone who wasn't a white male regardless of what they said or did. they were wrong.

Also millennials are proving what terrible people they are by saying anyone who didn't vote the way they did is sexist and racist and xenophobic. I guess its easy to get caught up in highly exaggerated social issues when you don't have any real life issues to deal with in your safe space colleges.

Basically what Michael Moore said and i think you said it when we were talking about the liberal embrace of globalization.

The people lost the party.

The elites got in power and exposed themselves as every bit the party of the filthy rich as the Republicans rightfully had the rep of being. The people were distracted with bullshit corporate perpetuated causes/movements that indirectly supported the "lefts" corporate stooging and made others feel like America wasn't even a country anymore..in the meantime, the people took back the Republican party...or at least partially.

It's almost a complete reversal from 2008. By 2008 it didn't make sense for people to vote Republican as their interest had nothing to do with the American people. For a few years you had people on the right unwittingly being puppets for globalization and non-American interest. RIght now, the democrat party is the same way only they have been taught that globalization is some great social cause rather than the rich get richer and the poor get poorer thing that liberals so vehemently opposed just a few years ago...and still do..but they're being exploited and rendered impotent.

If what they claim is true, why would they stay in such a country? Leave. Go. Stop destroying things for everyone who has a different opinion than yours or just fucking accept it and move on.

If what they claim is true, why would they stay in such a country? Leave. Go. Stop destroying things for everyone who has a different opinion than yours or just fucking accept it and move on.
Did you watch the videos? Or did you just read the first sentence?

Dems thought they were a lock for everyone who wasn't a white male regardless of what they said or did. they were wrong.

Also millennials are proving what terrible people they are by saying anyone who didn't vote the way they did is sexist and racist and xenophobic. I guess its easy to get caught up in highly exaggerated social issues when you don't have any real life issues to deal with in your safe space colleges.
Clinton won the millennial vote by 30%. Not exactly a crazy figure like Sanders beating her by 70% in the same demographic. They may be the sources of a lot of this publicly displayed rage, but they also helped prove the many polls wrong by sticking to their anti-establishment conscious and either voting Trump or a 3rd party.

I still think it's hard to glean too much from an election with 50% turnout, but I think the main problem was twofold. Hillary was playing the wrong game, trying to policy her way to the White House, and the lack of enthusiasm for her lowered turnout big League. At the same time, the enthusiasm Trump's supporters had was able to be cashed in as votes, and he reached many demographics that hadn't been pandered too in a while, including racists, but their votes count the same as anyone's. The lesson the Democrats need to learn is that
A. The far left of the party don't want a hypocritical status quo President.
B. The Democrats can't be taking votes for granted. Just because you're leading in the polls doesn't mean all those schmucks are actually going to come out to vote.

With a better candidate next time, combined with whatever screw ups Trump can put together, I'm not overly worried about the next election. The fact it is almost impossible to achieve any sort of power in the House does worry me however, but that's a systemic issue they can't really fix right now.

Did you watch the videos? Or did you just read the first sentence?
Nah, didn't watch 20min of commentary from some random youtubers but skimming through your OP I assume I was preaching to the choir.

Nah, didn't watch 20min of commentary from some random youtubers but skimming through your OP I assume I was preaching to the choir.
I wasn't sure if you were talking about the commentators because they certainly weren't blaming the loss on racism and sexism. The guy in the first video points to the fact that Obama won more of the white vote than Clinton did as evidence against that idea.

I still think it's hard to glean too much from an election with 50% turnout, but I think the main problem was twofold. Hillary was playing the wrong game, trying to policy her way to the White House, and the lack of enthusiasm for her lowered turnout big League. At the same time, the enthusiasm Trump's supporters had was able to be cashed in as votes, and he reached many demographics that hadn't been pandered too in a while, including racists, but their votes count the same as anyone's. The lesson the Democrats need to learn is that
A. The far left of the party don't want a hypocritical status quo President.
B. The Democrats can't be taking votes for granted. Just because you're leading in the polls doesn't mean all those schmucks are actually going to come out to vote.

With a better candidate next time, combined with whatever screw ups Trump can put together, I'm not overly worried about the next election. The fact it is almost impossible to achieve any sort of power in the House does worry me however, but that's a systemic issue they can't really fix right now.
I fully believe if this were Trump vs Sanders we have a record turnout on both sides with Sanders still winning in a landslide. Pure DNC arrogance and incompetence(surprise) is to blame. Trump went from a laughing stock to the Republican nominee in 8 months. It's very telling of where both parties are currently at

They nominated this

images

and screwed over a bunch of supporters in the process

The DNC lost the working class a long time ago. Bill Clinton fucked them. The problem is he simultaneously-not surpisingly -fucked poor urban minorities. Obama was able to regain those votes, but they said no on Hillary.

The tension in race relations started with a right wing backlash to Obama, but Hillary stoked it to try and get those minority votes. Trump stoked that tension too, but picked up the poor white vote as well as the majority of the working class. Ideological purists on the left also abandoned Hillary.

Their agenda was not sufficiently centered on the grievances of Muslims/Latinos/LGBT/BLM/disabled. This has to be fixed if they're to regain power.

They didn't just abandon the working class, they attacked them. They mocked them, attacked their character, treated them like sub human. They then joined with the elite on wall street and with mainstream media. They lied and attacked anyone who got in the way. They began pushing both dangerous ideologies that were anti science, and racist. They attached free speech and called you a racist if you didn't want your job shipped over seas.

You can get away with this if you're a demagogue like Obama, but not when you're robotic Hillary.

The DNC lost the working class a long time ago. Bill Clinton fucked them. The problem is he simultaneously-not surpisingly -fucked poor urban minorities. Obama was able to regain those votes, but they said no on Hillary.
Bill moved the party to the right to make the Democrats more electable but it was that shift that slowly alienated their base such that nearly a quarter century later it was the reason his wife didn't get elected.

Can't come up with stuff this good folks.
The tension in race relations started with a right wing backlash to Obama, but Hillary stoked it to try and get those minority votes. Trump stoked that tension too, but picked up the poor white vote as well as the majority of the working class. Ideological purists on the left also abandoned Hillary.
Well Trump was arguably part of the initial right wing backlash with the birther nonsense but aside from that nitpick I say that's a fair assessment.

As far as ideological purists on the left who abandoned Hillary I'm proud to say I'm one of them. Like a lot of people I voted for Obama but couldn't bring myself to vote for her. And my dad was thinking about voting for Hillary but couldn't be bothered too. Mind you, the polling station didn't have any line to speak of and was a 3 minute drive from the house so its not like he was avoiding a major hassle. He did say if Sanders was on the ballot he would've made the short trip for the vote and I imagine he wasn't the only one who felt that way.

Only made it half way through the first vid. Dude is a horrible stammering communicator. The second vid I've seen, and get a kick out of. He's spot on imo.

Bullying people you disagree with into silence isn't a viable tactic if you want their support. Political correctness is cancer, censorship, and blowing up in the face of the left. I'm as socially liberal as you can get, but by no means on the left. Their imagined moral superiority, unwillingness to listen and quickness to judge disgusts me.

Saw this article from a Bernie supporter. It was one of the more reasonable things I've seen from the left since Tuesday.

Some liberals are blaming the loss on white supremacy and patriarchy and xenophobia and whatnot. But I am glad to see some on the left are taking different lessons from this loss.

Both agree Hillary was a terrible candidate to put forward. Basically, they're saying that the Democrats abandoned the working class and that blaming this on racism or sexism is misdiagnosing the problem. In fact, its precisely part of the problem. One can't appeal myopically to the political elites("a few hundred policy wonks") and then expect the working class to come out and vote for you. Brow beating them by calling them racist and sexist is not a solution.

The Democratic party crashed and burned but hopefully it can rise from the ashes as something that can actually inspire a broader coalition of people instead of a cold political machine that relies on celebrity endorsements, campus politics, and "pathologically centrist think tank nerds".

Wikileaks woke people up to how corrupt the left is. They saw how Bernie should have won if it wasn't for corruption.

How Hillary is retarded about national security.

How the media is bought and paid for.

A terrible nominee who they aided and abetted in rigging the primary process. An overregulated and globalized economy that kills small to medium sized business enterprises, makes entrepreneurship almost impossible, and encourages the shipping of jobs out of the country while protecting and bailing out big businesses. The importation of cheap and compliant labor economically and politically beholden to the elite. The sustained assault and demonization of Christians and white males. Non stop abuse of power used against the people who they are supposed to serve combined with a complete lack of accountability. The use of Saul Alinsky trouble making tactics and bullying on an industrial scale funded by super rich liberals. The vandalizing of our culture and its symbols. The ever expanding regulatory state displacing the space for liberty. The process of upending our culture by changing our demographics through encouraging uncontrolled immigration from parts of the world that don't have a tradition of freedom.

TL;DR - Big government and big business beating the shit out of the little guy.

Back