Possible timeline for the emergence of a true space age in the 2020s

Public enthusiasm for space exploration has been stagnant since the 60's and 70's, which was first invigorated by US propaganda about the Space Race and beating the Russians to the moon. If we are truly serious about revamping NASA and putting more resources into space exploration it needs to be the will of the people that sways the government into action.

They need to drum up the threat of alien attack, and the need to build a space military to protect mankind!

you know with the rapid development of space would also push the medical science to accelerate faster...much much faster

Thats totally uncertain. I could just as well say that cancer research might contribute progress to space travel.

Well we'll probably see the prob get sent and it will take 20 years to get there

lol, not even close. Voyager 1 has been going since 1977 and only crossed the heliopause for interstellar space in 2012. If it were even pointe at AC it would take 10s of thousands of years to get there. Our space shuttles at max speed would take 165.000 years to get there.

An initiative with funding backed by stephen hawking snd billionaire yuri milner has already begun. Its called project starshot and aims to use lasers to propel smartphone sized probes to do flyby and take pics. Once launched it could take like 30 years for the probes to arrive.

lol, no. Not even close. Thats a theoretical wet dream.. Let me know when they achieve 1/100th of the speeds they are talking about.

lol, no. Not even close. Thats a theoretical wet dream.. Let me know when they achieve 1/100th of the speeds they are talking about.

Its not really a theoretical wet dream if real money is being put towards it. The em drive would be a theoretical wet dream.

lol, not even close. Voyager 1 has been going since 1977 and only crossed the heliopause for interstellar space in 2012. If it were even pointe at AC it would take 10s of thousands of years to get there. Our space shuttles at max speed would take 165.000 years to get there.

Voyager 1 is a can. We could send much smaller probes at much much faster speeds these days.

funny because i'd put my money on hawking and the fact that its currently being funded right now. Far from a dream son

Last edited:
i can't take them seriously. They couldnt keep there fucking space station in space...

Massive reservations like I said. But your original article wasn´t much more than theoretical pondering anyways, soooo.

Shuttle (manned flight) at current max speeds = 165.000 years

I never said anything about manned flight. We are way off sending people to even the edge of our solar system let alone to another solar system.

Let's face it.

Russia has rockets that can go into space, but they don't have any kind of vision and will not commit to anything out of LEO.

ESA has great visions but due to the funding model is pretty prone to having its projects de-funded. Plus, we also don't currently have a rocket to put humans into space. The Ariane 5 could do it with some adaptations, the Ariane 6 is not supposed to do it. So will ESA get the moon base in 2030? I have doubts.

China will get better at what they do, but I think they will not want to risk too many embarassing failures, so they won't get too fast. A manned moon mission by them would be impressive, but I don't believe we will see it in the next 15 years.

India, Japan and all others only deserve honorable mentions.

So that really leaves the US of A - either alone or with a partner like ESA. Whether it's Mars or the moon, a true space age will only be possible with the USA. Do we believe in the privatized space age? I also have doubts. I don't see Musk really being able to send people to Mars in 2025-30, and right now, all other manned Mars mission projects seem like scams.

Which is where NASA comes in again. Nobody can match NASA's reach and ability when properly funded. I really hope Trump does not de-fund NASA and instead re-allocates NASA funding to space travel and exploration. Because if you think about it, when was America truly great? When you think of what the US has achieved, "moon landing" really is the first thing that comes to my mind. If I were Trump and if I were serious about all the "make America great", I'd do precisely that - go back into space. With humans. And without humans (Breakthrough Starshot). That's the kind of stuff kids' dreams are made of (at least mine were).

I never said anything about manned flight. We are way off sending people to even the edge of our solar system let alone to another solar system.

we'd need to heavily invest into new rocket engines and computer systems. anti matter rockets would be one idea

we'd need to heavily invest into new rocket engines and computer systems. anti matter rockets would be one idea

I was only talking about sending smartphone sized probes propelled by lasers on earth. Aka project starshot.

Back