Possible timeline for the emergence of a true space age in the 2020s

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
By 2027, we can have

* highly efficient and low cost launch with fully reusable rockets
* water ice mining from the moon and other resources from the asteroids
* Robotic and teleoperated construction in orbits, moon and near earth asteroids
* expandable space stations
* construction of large telescope, solar power and other structures

Critical space costs could drop by 100 to 1000 times.

Lower cost reusable launches will greatly lower costs
Water and other resources from the moon will lower costs
Capabilities will ramp up and further lower costs.

moonmining.png

Instead of mining the moon with people. Moon Express plans to mine it robotically for water ice for fueling space industry.

Leveraging Robotics will be a very important accelerator in the industrialization of space

Using Spiderfab robotics kilometer or larger structures will be built. This can be used to produce megawatts of power.

spiderfab2020.jpg

SpiderFabConcept.jpg

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/01/possible-timeline-for-emergence-of-true.html

The biggest developments in space in 2016
* Spacex had several successful launches and landed several rocket stages but had an accident which has grounded Spacex. They hope to launching again in January 2017
* Spacex test fired the new Raptor engine
* Blue Origin made progress in 2016 and plans launch suborbital test pilots in 2017 and commercial passengers in 2018
* Research and work on Hypersonic missiles by China, USA, Russia, India and others is picking up
* Research and work on hypersonic planes and spaceplanes is ramping up

QUOTE]Internet satellite network, space mining and more

Spacex Satellite net could start gigabit per second operation in 2020 with 800 to 1600 satellites covering the North America, Europe and Asia

Planetary Resources And The Government Of Luxembourg Announce €25 Million Investment and target 2020 asteroid mining mission

Bigelow Aerospace and Axiom Space — plan to launch habitat modules to orbit in 2020, with the aim of making some money off Earth. If all goes according to plan, private space stations will eventually form the backbone of commercial facilities that replace the International Space Station (ISS), which is currently funded through 2024. Axiom Space hopes to keep building, launching and linking up modules, eventually creating an industrial "space city" of 100 or so people by the mid-2030.

Bigelow has something much bigger in mind — a module called the B330, which will offer 11,650 cubic feet of internal volume. (That's 330 cubic meters, which explains the name.) For comparison, the internal pressurized volume of the entire 440-ton, $100 billion ISS is 32,333 cubic feet (916 cubic m), according to NASA.
[/QUOTE]
The company aims to build two B330s over the next four years

China launched a 25 ton capacity Long March 5 rocket China plans to use the Long March 5 to launch the core of a three-module, 60-tonne space station. The first space station launch by Long March 5 in 2018, and be completed in the early 2020s, including two experiment modules and a Hubble-class telescope that can dock for repairs.

Antimatter propulsion

Positron Dynamics is working with a Sodium 22 isotope (which they get in liquid form) and it will produce positrons which will be moderated with semiconductor structures. Muon Catalyzed fusion from antimatter would multiply the energy production from the antimatter. Each muon catalyzing d-d muon-catalyzed fusion reactions in pure deuterium is only able to catalyze about one-tenth of the number of d-t muon-catalyzed fusion reactions that each muon is able to catalyze in a mixture of equal amounts of deuterium and tritium, and each d-d fusion only yields about one-fifth of the yield of each d-t fusion, thereby making the prospects for useful energy release from d-d muon-catalyzed fusion at least 50 times worse than the already dim prospects for useful energy release from d-t muon-catalyzed fusion.

However, Positron Dynamics is looking at the fusion for propulsion and not energy production

* Positron Dynamics plans to luanch a 6U cubesat that they will use to test the propulsion in space will be generating 100s of watts
* the propulsion will have delta V of 1 to 10 km/second
* Later systems will have more delta V and enable cubesats and small satellites to stay in orbit for years instead of days

Laser Propulsion funded for $100 million

Billionaire Yuri Milner is spending $100 million to prove out laser pushed nanosails that would reach 5% of lightspeed

Two initiatives have been announced so far. The first, Breakthrough Listen, will invest $100 million over 10 years in the most comprehensive and sensitive search ever undertaken for evidence of civilizations beyond Earth.

Yuri Milner, the Russian tech billionaire, joined Stephen Hawking atop Manhattan’s Freedom Tower, where the pair will announced Starshot, a $100 million dollar research program, the latest of Milner’s “Breakthrough Initiatives.” (Mark Zuckerberg will serve on Starshot’s board, alongside Milner and Hawking.) With the money, Milner hopes to prove that a probe could make the journey to Alpha Centauri in only 20 years.

Milner wants his $100 million to fund research that will culminate in a prototype of a probe that can beam images back to Earth. He told me the images would arrive less than 5 years after the probe reached the star.

Milner wants to launch a small “mothership,” filled with hundreds of these thin, disc-like probes. (He thinks each probe can eventually be manufactured at roughly the cost of an iPhone.) Once the mothership reaches orbit, it would release one probe per day. The probe would exit the larger spacecraft, and use its photon thrusters to position itself in the path of a ground-based laser beam.

UCSB has looked closely at issues for what Milner is proposing and have produced a roadmap for interstellar beam propulsion.

1 gram 24% of lightspeed
10 grams 14% of lightspeed
100 grams 7.8% of lightspeed
1 kg 4.3% of lightspeed
10kg 2.4% of lightspeed
100kg 1.4% of lightspeed
1000kg 0.77% of lightspeed
10 tons 0.43% of lightspeed
100 tons 0.24% of lightspeed

Milner is probably looking at less than 10 grams and about 2-4 GW ground based laser array.

UCSB Operational Maturation and Steps from their laser pushed sail roadmap:

Step 1 - Ground based - Small phased array, beam targeting and stability tests - 10 kw
Step II – Ground based - Target levitation and lab scale beam line acceleration tests - 10 kw
Step III – Ground based - Beam formation at large array spacing –
Step IV – Ground based - Scale to 100 kW with arrays sizes in the 1-3 m size –
Step V – Ground based - Scale to 1 MW with 10 m optics –
Step VI – Orbital testing with small 1-3 class arrays and 10-100kw power – ISS possibility
Step VII – Orbital array assembly tests in 10 m class array
Step VIII – Orbital assembly with sparse array at 100 m level –
Step IX – Orbital filled 100 m array
Step X – Orbital sparse 1km array
Step XI – Orbital filled 1 km array
Step XII – Orbital sparse 10 km array
Step XIII – Orbital filled 10 km array

Milner appears like he wants to go to step 5 or 6 with $100 million and then work out the design issues up to step 11 or 12 on the UCSB laser pushed sail roadmap.

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/12/reviewing-space-developments-in-2016.html

2016 developments
http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/12/reviewing-space-developments-in-2016.html

i hope so man. I hope that in my lifetime we get people on mars and at least send a probe to alpha centauri.

i hope so man. I hope that in my lifetime we get people on mars and at least send a probe to alpha centauri.

it will have telescopes pretty sure if it has a habitual world that will be the first system we go outside the solor system to colonize

im down

i bet if you asked 100 people if they wanted more money from their taxes to go to NASA and space exploration than current uses, more than 75 people would say yes, but no politician ever brings it up

I am agnostic towards space activity. If we went to the moon almost a half decade ago... Why haven't we been back? Why has space activity supposedly dropped since the 20th century? Can we even pass through the Van Allen Radiation Belt?

We need answers.

I am agnostic towards space activity. If we went to the moon almost a half decade ago... Why haven't we been back? Why has space activity supposedly dropped since the 20th century? Can we even pass through the Van Allen Radiation Belt?

We need answers.

Public enthusiasm for space exploration has been stagnant since the 60's and 70's, which was first invigorated by US propaganda about the Space Race and beating the Russians to the moon. If we are truly serious about revamping NASA and putting more resources into space exploration it needs to be the will of the people that sways the government into action.

I can't wait until the James Webb Space Telescope goes online in 2018, would give us enormous information on exoplanets and possibly find hard evidence of habitable planets.

We need answers.
50years ago ppl had jack all shit to do, now we have the internet, so fuck the moon.

Just have to keep on sending up satellites for GPS n shit, fuck man is Google Maps slow for anyone this week? I'll be using Waze.

Antarctica hasn't even been a tourist destination, until then I am not so enthused about space exploration until we have completely seen all of earth.

We need answers.

we were suppose to be on mars in the 1970s. Since they gutted that program infavor of the space shuttle its screwed us

It is not going to happen because the governments don't invest in it anymore

If Europe, Russia, USA, Japan invested as much as the USA/Soviet union did in 1960~ we would be in mars already.

We're going to have ethical discussions about robot wars in space. What a time to be alive.

Dude, I'm all for sex robots, but I'm not going to arm them. What happens to my dick if the Russians hack it?

How would the Russians hack your dick? You got some kind of robot dick?

How would the Russians hack your dick? You got some kind of robot dick?
Oof. I got Phrasing'd. But yes, my dick does happen to identify as a broken, older-model drone.

Back