Portland burrito shop closes because of Cultural appropriation claims

who told you that jews invented tortillas? I thought that was invented by the indigenous people of latin america, as its present in many countries. edit the tortilla itself is indigenous to the americas, jews just decided to make it out of wheat instead of corn.

Wraps and flat breads can be found all over the world. The only difference is what they're made out of or what you put on them. As far as I know the wheat tortilla used for burritos is Sephardic. An incredibly difficult thing to patent or appropriate.

Taiwanese/Chinese dan bing:

1801ec49-5e44-442b-9748-ee6cc426a0fd--13334182025_d8decefaeb_b.jpg

The opened the business all the way in Portland. It is not like they open shop across the street in Mexico.

True and that's a fair point. Its just that the story felt wrong. Don't get me wrong, it was admirable for them to be so passionate about the burrito business that they chose to spy for the recipe but it would have been a nice story if it was done in a more honorable fashion.

I myself being in the family business and making things from scratch using our own unique ingredient, it was upsetting in the beginning but I guess the fact that they are operating in a different country would be a less of a sting.

I don't think it was them being white that was the upsetting part but because they were whites that "stole" a piece of culture as oppose to being gifted or honored by it. I am sure that if the Mexican family were to share their recipe then the story wouldn't have been a problem.

That being said, as a person in the restaurant business, I don't like seeing anyone go out of business because we are all trying to make a living and its so hard to run a restaurant business that a loss is very devastating.

Too much anti-white rhetoric. This was not MLK's dream.

True and that's a fair point. Its just that the story felt wrong. Don't get me wrong, it was admirable for them to be so passionate about the burrito business that they chose to spy for the recipe but it would have been a nice story if it was done in a more honorable fashion.

I myself being in the family business and making things from scratch using our own unique ingredient, it was upsetting in the beginning but I guess the fact that they are operating in a different country would be a less of a sting.

I don't think it was them being white that was the upsetting part but because they were whites that "stole" a piece of culture as oppose to being gifted or honored by it. I am sure that if the Mexican family were to share their recipe then the story wouldn't have been a problem.

That being said, as a person in the restaurant business, I don't like seeing anyone go out of business because we are all trying to make a living and its so hard to run a restaurant business that a loss is very devastating.

I guess they should have gone to mexican cuisine school, then ordered those tacos, and maybe hired a chemists or something and break down the parts.

I actually had that idea with my college roommie who was a chemistry major. I was going to go buy some KFC, and let him break down the batter recipe for me.

I guess they should have gone to mexican cuisine school, then ordered those tacos, and maybe hired a chemists or something and break down the parts.

I actually had that idea with my college roommie who was a chemistry major. I was going to go buy some KFC, and let him break down the batter recipe for me.

That's true, there some decent culinary schools in Mexico.To be honest, this may not have been a problem if they simply spied on the window without asking in the first place. What has gotten people mad is the fact that they asked and the owner said no and yet they spied on them anyways.

Had they just spied without asking for the recipe, you could make it a story about curiosity and this way, it would have been a more accidental/innocent journey towards the food business.

As an ethnic Korean, I wouldn't give a shit if a non-Korean ran a Korean restaurant.

There's a lot of Japanese restaurants down here owned by Mexicans, and the food is pretty damn good and cheap.

If the food is good, I'll eat it. If it's bad, I'll avoid it. Who gives a shit about the rest of the details?

This is not an example of appropriation. If the dish was culturally and lawfully protected (like many European recipes are), I'd understand.

There are other things that are appropriaton, not burritos.

Back