Portland burrito shop closes because of Cultural appropriation claims

klnOmega

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2...-cultural-appropriation-stealing-recipes.html

Kali Wilgus and Liz “LC” Connelly, the two white women who started Kooks earlier this year, have been accused of stealing their techniques from the “tortilla ladies” of Puerto Nuevo, Mexico — because Connelly told Willamette Week that they gathered their recipes and tortilla-making processes during a holiday road-trip to the Baja California village.

"I picked the brains of every tortilla lady there in the worst broken Spanish ever, and they showed me a little of what they did," she told the site. "They told us the basic ingredients, and we saw them moving and stretching the dough similar to how pizza makers do before rolling it out with rolling pins.”

Connelly then said she used a trial-and-error process to recreate a tortilla with the same flavor and texture after returning to Portland. She and Wilgus then opened their weekend pop-up inside a taco truck on SE Cesar Estrada Chavez Boulevard, and began serving their Mexican-style tortillas filled with California-inspired ingredients.

Though the eatery had been open for several months, the owners of Kooks were only recently accused of cultural appropriation by The Portland Mercury and Mic.com based on Connelly’s revelations.

"Because of Portland’s underlying racism, the people who rightly own these traditions and cultures that exist are already treated poorly," The Portland Mercury said, calling the closure of Kooks a "victory."

The article continues,"These appropriating businesses are erasing and exploiting their already marginalized identities for the purpose of profit and praise."

Well, should people of one culture be allowed to cook and sell food invented by people of a different culture?

What is this cultural appropriation FUCKING BULLSHIT?
It's just something for someone to cry when they want to shut someone else down.
Cultural identity is fading, which it eventually will. We're all gonna be homogenized pretty broadly eventually. Hang on desperately to your cultural identity... But it's becoming a dated stereotype.

I agree, too much cultural appropriation and you end up with culinary abominations like meatballs on pizza and pasta.

200.gif

They should have never gave in. The problem will only keep growing if good people give in to the insane. Which unfortunately, too many people keep doing.

Or maybe they just made shitty burritos?

Jesus Christ they actually closed down their restaurant?

Surprised the place lasted that long in Portlandia. I wonder if every pizza joint there is run by Italians.

This shit drives me nuts. Cooking is art and art is meant to be shared. Where else are you supposed to learn to make tortillas ffs?

This shit drives me nuts. Cooking is art and art is meant to be shared. Where else are you supposed to learn to make tortillas ffs?
Why not learn from the best or the origin?

Somehow the left calls that racism or something.

So only fusion restaurants can be run by half breeds?

The modern tortilla was invented by jews from spain using imported ingredients from Europe according to wikipedia

Gonna be some major turmoil when mestizos find out they can only eat those crumbly little corn tortillas, nobody likes those

Last edited:
Shutdown every non-Mexican resturaunt asap, because we all know who is cooking in these places. Very unjust appropriation on the part of the Mexicans in these kitchens. They should just stick to cooking Mexican food.

That's fucking retarded.

There is true cultural appropriation, which I feel is usually still overblown (speaking as a non white male). And then there is stupid shit like this.
Food is food, there are thousands of food trucks and restaurants that would be doing cultural appropriation.

Back