Popped elbow using mixed grip on deadlift

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Bought a new bar with some decent knurling and decided to give some mixed grip deadlifting a try. Previously I'd used only straps because the shit bar I was using was practically smooth.

On a reasonably heavy set, as I approached lockout, I felt and heard my left elbow pop, which happened to be my underhand side. It hurt badly enough to terminate the workout.

Anyone had this issue before? Should I start using a hook grip?

Dunno but since i started going doh/ straps when it's heavier ill never go back to mixed grip

Dunno but since i started going doh/ straps when it's heavier ill never go back to mixed grip
this, unless you are planning to compete in powerlifting use straps and double overhand or hook grip. next time it could be your bicep that pops

I never had any issues with my elbow until I started pulling over 500lbs regularly. I never had a pop but I started getting more and more pain in my underhand side bicep tie in area. Its been over 2 months since I stopped mixed grip deadlifting with a straight bar and I am still sore in my elbow area. Its definitely limited some of exercises and weights used. I feel it when rolling too.

I moved over to the trap bar and it seems to be getting better, but slowly. Man, I am starting to sound like and old man, but if something hurts, don't do it. If you continue on its just going to get worse. I'd use straps and double over hand for sure.

It makes sense, and a fair amount of power lifters move away from mixed to decrease chances of tearing bicep tendons.

I tore my bicep tendon with a mixed grip pulling 495 back in 2014, surgery and rehab were not fun

ive gone back to DLing the same numbers but want to look into using straps doh, hook grip just wasn't working for me

Back