Pope Francis: countries must be prudent about only accepting as many refugees as they can integrate.

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
20161101T1028-6338-CNS-POPE-SWEDEN-PLANE.jpg

Pope Francis answers questions from journalists aboard his flight from Malmo, Sweden, to Rome

While countries should be open to taking in refugees and migrants in need they also must be prudent about only accepting as many as they can integrate into their societies, Pope Francis said.

In a press conference aboard the papal flight back to Rome after a two-day visit to Sweden, the pontiff was asked about countries that have accepted large numbers of migrants but are now considering stricter border controls.

"I believe that ... you cannot close your heart to a refugee," said Francis, but added that governments must use prudence to "make a calculation for how [refugees] can be settled because you must not only receive refugees but proceed to integrate them."

"If a country has a capacity of 20 for integration, let's say, do it up to that," the pope suggested. "If more, do more."

"But always, an open heart," Francis continued. "It is not human to close your hearts. And in the long run, you pay [for it]."

The pope was asked about migrants in the context of Sweden's historically high acceptance rate for asylum seekers. In 2015, the country accepted some 160,000 but is now considering stricter controls.

Francis said he was particularly grateful to Sweden as a native South American for its welcoming of refugees escaping the region's military dictatorships in the 1970s and 80s.

"Sweden has a long tradition of welcoming; not only receiving, but integrating, searching right away for homes, schools, work; integrating a people," he said.

https://www.ncronline.org/news/vati...-accept-only-many-refugees-they-can-integrate

Last edited:
This guy is a pawn and nothing else.

this guy doesnt even sound like a catholic half the time. who voted this guy in?

Last edited:
Wouldn't "integrate" require, to some degree, assimilation? Genuine question.

"Integration" is a PC term for forced conversions with a side of bacon & a shot of bourbon for each convertee just to be sure.

Seems like a balanced response of pragmatism and altruism that you would want from a religious leader

As an atheist who thinks religion is silly, I don't really see how anyone can disagree with the Pope here. He has consistently made morally defensible positions that make a lot of sense.

As an atheist who thinks religion is silly, I don't really see how anyone can disagree with the Pope here. He has consistently made morally defensible positions that make a lot of sense.

Well he says the right things, but by assimilate or integrate he probably means convert to Christianity. So there's that. These people need to be taught secularism if anything.

I dunno, maybe a handful if they can pay their own way. If we don't have the money to take care of our own which are homeless, we don't have the money to take care of someone elses own.

But mainly, the integration doesn't seem to be working in Europe. As a matter of fact, it's almost like an invasion like the Imams said.

In order to see if something make a lot of sense or not, they would have to read it first, and reading-comprehension is traditionally not a strong point for many illiterate Shertards, especially in the WR.

Yes, and Europe's experiment with Multiculturism instead of Integration/Assimilation has flamed out spectacularly.

But mainly, the integration doesn't seem to be working in Europe.

How can something work if it doesn't exist?

Last edited:
I think that's what most righteous people would like, it's just infinitely more difficult in action than in words.

The Pope is 100% correct. But of course there is the typical shertard that disagrees without reading a single word of the article.

"Integration" is a PC term for forced conversions with a side of bacon & a shot of bourbon for each convertee just to be sure.

Well he says the right things, but by assimilate or integrate he probably means convert to Christianity. So there's that. These people need to be taught secularism if anything.

Personally, I think his definition of "Integration into society" meant you don't just dump the refugees into the ghettos and think the job is done.

Here's update on the refugee families brought in by the Vatican:

What happened to the Syrian refugees rescued by the pope?

When Pope Francis saved a dozen refugees from a Lesbos detention centre and took them to Rome it was ‘like a miracle’, one of them said. A month on, what is their new life like?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-syrian-refugees-rescued-lesbos-vatican-rome

Last edited:
Here in America I literally don't know a single person who cares what the Pope says. That being said I know many people who identify as Catholic.

Back