Poor quality of European cards exposed by Till conundrum

Isn't it because the ufc favors "local" fighters on cards? U.S. events are best because of talent pool, followed by Brazil, etc.? Plus time zone differences really affect their largest viewing audience in the U.S. Agree it sucks and they should definitely put a few more high-interest fights on them but I don't think it's realistic to expect hugely stacked cards in Liverpool or Santiago either.

Thinking of going to Hamburg too and possibly Russia. Don't forget Bellator events too the ones in Budapest so far have been a blast.

The Hamburg main card is heaps better, even though ticket sales have been much slower.

Maybe the UK market should aim to be less loyal/passionate.

Ps, I don't expect the card to be stacked but, even with the addition of local favourites like Manuwa, Calderwood etc, it could have been elevated.

That's pretty much the point I was making originally.

However, more serious than the fans' loyalty being exploited is the possibility that the low-key undercard is potentially prompting unnecessary risks with fighter welfare in the main event.

Of course. They simply can't afford to lose that fight.

You'd have thought they'd have learnt after 151, but evidently not.

Regarding the whole Till situation: you gotta know what you get yourself into. That stipulation was apparently in the contract and Till knew he had a tough weight cut ahead of him. I'm tired of people showing up too heavy, relying on the other fighter still taking the fight as they put all the work and money into that fight and then the one that failed to fulfill the requirements has a massive advantage (as we can see in the statistics). Especially if Till showed up heavier after an hour as Wonderboy claimed and when he's so ardently about bragging how he's a Light Heavyweight he's got nothing to complain about there.

The European cards are rarely exciting, that's true, but this one isn't all too bad really. Yeah it lacks star power, but you can't have star power on every card. For such smaller cards what matters to me is that either the match-ups are interesting or I like watching at least one of the fighters in a fight. That's absolutely the case here. Gunnar Nelson pulling out was a huge blow cause now the co main event is no longer exciting, but I like watching guys like Elias Theodorou and Nordine Taleb. Knight vs Amirkhani and Kelly vs Breese should be some interesting bouts to watch, same goes for Lansberg vs Mazany. And I'm exicted for the UFC debut of Carlo Pedersoli. All in all for an overseas fight night card that's a decent line up, I'm looking forward to it.

The Hamburg main card is heaps better, even though ticket sales have been much slower. Maybe the UK market should aim to be less loyal/passionate. Ps, I don't expect the card to be stacked but, even with the addition of local favourites like Manuwa, Calderwood etc, it could have been elevated.

for sure no excuse for not having Manuwa and Calderwood

McGregor wants to bring some big events to Croke Park too which could definitely spice things up if that ever happens but I'm not holding my breath but if it happens I'm there

Until guys like you stop going to all these cards, the UFC will keep making them. You should be happy the card doesn't start at 11 pm...

Let's look at this another way: Edwards-Cerrone is a nonsensical main event for Singapore but would've been a solid addition to the main card in Liverpool. Moreover, why are popular British fighters like Jimi Manuwa and Jo Calderwood being left in mothballs? It makes no sense.

Jimmy fought in march

First up, I'm totally with those that say that the 'solution' that's been cooked up to rescue the Till-Wonderboy main event is reckless and flies in the face of fighter safety.

What the desperation to save the one really good fight on the card also does, however, is bring into focus just how substandard the cards that the UFC is foisting on its extremely loyal and passionate European fans really are.

*If* the main event still gets pulled today (and I still think it may) we're left with a fairly uninspiring card 'headlined' by a fight between Neil Magny (no disrespect, but come on!) and the No.4 welterweight from Cage Warriors on his promotional debut.

Compare this with the upcoming FN card in Calgary, where you have a main card stacked with the likes of Alvarez-Poirier 2, Stephens-Aldo and JJ-Torres and you can see there's an alarming disparity and a sense that the UFC is, at best, taking its European fans (particularly those from the British Isles) for granted. Even the Bellator 200 main card took a dump on UFC Liverpool!

Perhaps the problem is that European fans (or at least those in the UK and Ireland) are too passionate and too loyal. Our shows routinely sell out in minutes, often before a main card has even been announced, whereas I'm pretty sure I could still pick up a selection of seats for that great card in Calgary if I wished too.

We love the UFC and will travel in numbers to support it (in under 12 months I'll have been to Hamburg, Liverpool and Gdansk to watch events and I'm currently wrestling over whether to head to Moscow in September) but the UFC needs to be aware that, if it continues to disrespect it's audience, that audience will eventually grow weary.

Agree 100%
Not to mention they put hendo/Bisping on at 3 or 5 am to cater for american fans which was a slap in the face to UK fans

Let's look at this another way: Edwards-Cerrone is a nonsensical main event for Singapore but would've been a solid addition to the main card in Liverpool. Moreover, why are popular British fighters like Jimi Manuwa and Jo Calderwood being left in mothballs? It makes no sense.

The reason is because that singapore card is equally fucking dire, and their last event in singapore wasn't even close to selling out (Holm vs Correira)

They are spreading themselves too thin, which is crazy to think about when you consider the amount of talent at their disposal.

I'm just looking for a fight, I don't always need big names to see a good scrap...

The Hamburg main card is heaps better, even though ticket sales have been much slower.

Maybe the UK market should aim to be less loyal/passionate.

Ps, I don't expect the card to be stacked but, even with the addition of local favourites like Manuwa, Calderwood etc, it could have been elevated.

Lots of the people that attend the UFC in the UK, do so because:

A: They want to tell everybody else that they are going to see the UFC on social media.

B: They want to go because the UFC does not have many cards in the UK.

C: They like to pretend they can actually fight.

D: All of the above.

But when it boils down to it, not alot of the UK public (attending the event) actually have a clue about the product, fighters or the rules.........and the UFC knows this and this is why they can put on a card like this and still sell tickets.........they are not going to get the viewing figures in the US because of the time difference......so why waste their good match ups...

Back