Poll : Is McGregor good for the sport of MMA?

Is McGregor good for the sport of MMA?

• Total voters

MMA fan93

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
*Mods - please add a poll*

Hi guys, apologies for another McGregor thread, when theres already a handful on the first page itself. What prompted me to create this thread is the general difference in opinion i notice whenever there is a Conor thread. No denying that he is the most polarizing figure we have seen in MMA. The general set of opinions i observe are -

- We are moving to an era of money fights due to McGregor, wherein deserving contenders do not get a fair shot. This hurts the legitimacy of the sport in the long run.
- However, at the same time, these money fights create the most amount of buzz, along with the antics at the weigh-ins, press conferences etc, and draw more casual eyes to the fights. And when you deliver an epic fight after all the buildup like McGregor-Nate II was, it delivers on the hype and the casuals are likely to stick around, making the sport's following bigger.

So what do you feel, is it good or bad for the SPORT (not the UFC) in the LONG RUN?

tumblr_linkugz56c1qh59n0o1_500.gif

Fighters are starting to ask for more money, it's good.

Having popular stars, in general, is good for the sport, but, ultimately, these are only ever fads and should never be put before the integrity of the sport itself in order to maintain that growth in the long term.

So it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Fighters getting more money is good. The circus show act is bad.

It you talk about sport - The answer is a big NO.

If you talk about popularity - it's a big Yes!!

More fighter agency is good.

People in this site hate the UFC and Dana, are all for fighter's pay...

Until it clashes with their silly hate for Conor. Conor is butting head with the UFC brass, and it is the only way to do it.

Of course he's good for the sport. There's no denying that.

Don't say "poll" unless there's a poll

U saw what is happening after Mayweathers retirement. He killed the sport of boxing. Now all exciting fighters have to pay the price of not having ppv's in long time, just because the other guy was a joke and cheated the money of ppv payers everyday. So now future boxing generations will pay the price.
So with McGregor will be the same, he will rip all the money of the people while he last at sport, and when he dissappears like Ronda Rousey, or because he is finished and retires, then all the new fighters will pay the consecuences, and wont have a fair wage.
U can answer yourself with the Lesnar example.

Well considering he is the biggest ppv star in history, yes.

Of course not

How is he good for the sport? By changing the criteria required to be successful? Doesn't matter how good you are as a fighter, all that matters is how much WWE drama you can create. How that is good for the sport is beyond me.

I'm pumped to watch his fights even though I usually cheer against him and I really enjoy having him on a card.

That said all this money fight bullshit is super annoying and if it doesn't get nipped in the bud now the UFC is going to turn into garbage boxing with all the champions ducking the tough fights that the true fans want to see.

Almost all the current UFC champs aren't fighting their divisions #1 contender.

He works in the MMA Industry, these are true statements

Well his fighting style is exciting as fuck and keeps people watching so yes he is good for the sport.

We are moving to an era of money fights due to McGregor, wherein deserving contenders do not get a fair shot.

This is something a lot of people say on here. Give examples or an example of fighters/fighter who is a 'deserving contender' not getting a title shot.

Back