Politico declares war on electoral college: calls it a national security threat

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...lege-threat-national-security-215626?cmpid=sf

Get used to a lot more of this from mainstream news trying to get California and New York to decide our next president

In short, político argues that EC was put in place to stop tampering from Great Britain as them influencing each of the electors from 13 different states would be too hard to accomplish. Now with social media making the spreading of fake news so easy, the EC not only fails at its goal of making tampering much more difficult, it actually makes it easier

Allllllll of the Facebook comments are in support of nixing the electoral college

Well, thank God they are a propaganda rag and nothing more.

Yea all democrats, I wonder why.

The urban democrats believe they should rule. Not only where they live but the entire country. The EC was and is a way to let all states have an equal say in government .

We fought the first war on the founding of America over lack of representation to it united us. Do away with representation for the state's and force the rule of the urban that believe they are elite and you will tear the country apart.

Huh.
Wasn't everyone defending the EC before the elections?

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...lege-threat-national-security-215626?cmpid=sf

Get used to a lot more of this from mainstream news trying to get California and New York to decide our next president

In short, político argues that EC was put in place to stop tampering from Great Britain as them influencing each of the electors from 13 different states would be too hard to accomplish. Now with social media making the spreading of fake news so easy, the EC not only fails at its goal of making tampering much more difficult, it actually makes it easier

Allllllll of the Facebook comments are in support of nixing the electoral college
In my opinion, if Politico thinks this is true, and the average voter is so easily hoodwinked, a representative in the EC would be the perfect antidote for delusion of the masses by being able to ignore said votes.

But I'm certainly no political commentary expert.

1. Because each area of the country needs to be persuaded to win an election, foreign propaganda or vote hacking faces a more complex and diffuse task with the electoral college in place. The EC is in that sense a security measure, not a security risk.

2. The smaller states had little incentive to join the Union without the Great Compromise. They have little incentive to give up the rights bestowed on them in that compromise now.

3. Getting rid of the electoral college would probably take a revolution. At a minimum it would take a Constitutional Convention of some sort. I think lefties should think long and hard about convening something like that or trying to spark up momentum for new amendments given Republican dominance on the state level.

Last edited:
The country went into a crippling recession the last time a shitty republican won thanks to the electoral college.

And we all know history repeats itself. Well, except for Trump bots.

The big cities should have more say rather than bumfuck America
I'd posit that more bums get fucked in big cities.

Unless you think the phenomenon of Matt Hughes and his bro pounding each other behind the barn is indicative of an epidemic...

On the day after the election, I had a conversation with my neighbor.

My neighbor grew up in a rural part of Columbia.

He wondered out loud if Columbia instituted an Electoral College type of system, if the war with FARC would have ended earlier.

He claimed that because Bogota is such a large part of the population, they represent a huge part of their political representation.

Therefore, the politicians only worried themselves with the problems of the population hubs.

Since FARC attacked the rural areas, the politicians ignored their plight.

He was convinced that if the rural areas had more political sway, the war against FARC would have been over a long time ago.

Yep all those world star, $15/hr demanding, welfare leeches should decide for the country. Their vote is the only one that should count.

Huh.
...no?

Anyway, the electoral college was also about making sure slaver states didn't get crowded out by voters from yankee states. It's pretty archaic and shouldn't be seen as a holy and unchangeable.

If anything, get rid of the stupid winner-take-all system. It wouldn't require a constitutional amendment and would end the abomination that is the division of blue/red/swing states, which I think plays a big part in the US having such low voter turnout and accentuates the disillusionment that has been growing over the years.

Huh.
One valiant champion of true democracy wasn't:

Screen-shot-2016-11-10-at-9.57.16-AM.png

It turns out not all heroes wear capes.

If anything, get rid of the stupid winner-take-all system. It wouldn't require a constitutional amendment and would end the abomination that is the division of blue/red/swing states, which I think plays a big part in the US having such low voter turnout and accentuates the disillusionment that has been growing over the years.

I wonder how many Illinois Republicans didn't show up to vote in November because they knew they lived in such a blue state.

Likewise, how many Texan Democrats didn't show up assuming that their state would go red.

The big cities will literally die of starvation without 'bumfuck America'. 'Bumfuck America' would be fine without big cities.

Yep all those world star, $15/hr demanding, welfare leeches should decide for the country. Their vote is the only one that should count.
It'd be better to not bring up welfare in a discussion of blue city versus red country. It wouldn't help your point at all.

I wonder how many Illinois Republicans didn't show up to vote in November because they knew they lived in such a blue state.

Likewise, how many Texan Democrats didn't show up assuming that their state would go red.
I mean, wouldn't you do the same? A nuclear holocaust is more likely than, say, Utah turning blue or Rhode Island turning red. As a voter from those states you're essentially designated to cheer from the sidelines. Compared to a highly sough-after voter from Florida, you're nothing but a pawn.

Actually, a pawn has it's uses. You (the Democrat from Utah) don't.

Back