Politically Correct Homework Assignment in Texas Enrages Parents

Why don't you fuckwits ever try to, I don't know, improve labor and wage standards? Support unions?

No, you'll continue to vote for the party of the rich that busts unions, suppresses wages, guts oversight and safety standards, exacerbates economic inequality through shitty tax codes, and destroys upward mobility.

It's almost like you're not really concerned about economic issues and are just using it as a veneer for a different issue....hmmm....wonder what that other issue could be.

This is total bs. You’re better than this. Claiming republicans vote the way they do is concealed racism, is the lowest tier of political thought.

The fact is, all that shit you’re saying we should be voting for was in place under obama and all of the problems still existed under him as well.

Charter School Alert!
(lulz)

The teacher is clearly a dolt, but it's not clear whether the teacher is just a "both sides" fool or a racist propagandist.
So many issues, so little time.

1. If you have a problem with people blaming Islam after every attack, how do you rationalize using this story as evidence against charter schools? It’s the same logical thought process. It’s crap. If you’re a hypocrite you don’t care about these distinctions, though. It’s all about your team.

2. You’re not a profiler, and you don’t seem particularly inclined at it either. Forcing random individuals to fit into your human models, two of them at that, is beyond ignorant. The world doesn’t work like that. But it does if you’re a partisan fanatic and you have to interpret everything according to your interests.

So many issues, so little time.

1. If you have problem with people blaming Islam after every attack, how do you rationalize using this story as evidence against charter schools? It’s the same logical thought process. It’s crap. If you’re a hypocrite you don’t care about these distinctions, though. It’s all about your team.

2. You’re not a profiler, and you don’t seem particularly inclined at it either. Forcing random individuals to fit into your human models, two of them at that, is beyond ignorant. The world doesn’t work like that. But it does if you’re a partisan fanatic and you have to interpret everything according to your interests.
I haven't taken one of these kinds of posts by you seriously in a long time. I think what you should probably do is be quiet and read the thread, because it's a good discussion.

Sure I can accept that. But I dont think the transition was easy for any of them. But it wasnt the only difference though. You can't have it both ways. Were black people denied and punished for learning to read and become educated? They most certainly were, and there would be myriad challenges once being thrown out on to their own two feet that they wouldn't necessarily have had as a slave. Some of the slaves, probably a smaller percentage of them may have seen their lives become more challenging after emancipation.

LOLoLoLOloLoLoLo''!!!!!!!

They were born slaves and had been slaves for their entire lives!! Why would that transition be easy? There are always challenges in change..

That makes sense and you know I respect your ideas about history. I wonder though, because elementary-middle school education is in some ways more about instilling values than questioning them, if there's more of a place for that kind of thing.

Tangent here- my only experience with that side of education (apart from working with Downs kids) is developing a lesson plan for fifth graders on evolution. I had to justify everything I was doing, it was quite a process. I wonder if this lesson is documented somewhere- it should be. Who developed it? A publisher, the teacher, the school board? Are charter schools there even required to document this stuff to a high standard? The method itself should be justified somewhere, right? I know that according to how I was taught, it would be. I'd like to sleuth them up.
Yeah, i'm also curious just what the hell the curriculum/lesson building process is like there

Whats next pros and cons of being a jew in germany circa 1939?

trying to discern what was supposed to go in the 'positive' column, even from let's say a redneck texas (no offense) mind:...........

short of 'well it's not Africa', i'm not sure what could possibly go there hahahaha
even then, that 'argument' only makes sense in the modern world, whereas pre widespread use of Electricity and the Industrial Revolution it wasn't THAT drastic of a difference between say Colonial Americas and W. Africa if you feel me

Great Hearts will reinstate San Antonio teacher who assigned 'positives' of slavery worksheet
Great Hearts Monte Vista will reinstate the teacher who assigned middle school students a worksheet which asked them to chart the "positives" and "negatives" of slavery.

In a letter sent to parents this week, Great Hearts Texas Superintendent Aaron Kindel said the teacher will return from the leave he or she was placed on and keep their position at the campus.

"After conducting a fair and thorough review we found that, while the assignment was certainly not consistent with Great Hearts philosophy, there was no harmful intent on the part of the teacher and the broader context of the treatment of slavery in the course left no ambiguity regarding its immorality," Kindel's letter reads. "As such, the teacher will be re-instated after training is completed."

It's never too late, Trevor, to apologize for rushing to racist conclusions.

There were "pros" to slavery (otherwise there would have been no slavery), but no "pros" to the life of the slaves themselves. For the most part, you lived a shit life until you died, that's about it.

Prior to the invention of advanced machinery, forced human labour was the only way that human societies could reach "high civilization" status. All the Greek, Roman, etc. societies, that have served as a blueprint to subsequent (Western) civilizations, could only boast of having achieved such a high level of prosperity, due to slave labour.

Men in the ancient times would not have had time for philosophy and mathematics, if they did not have a host of slaves serving underneath them, taking care of the more "mundane" tasks in life.

Props to Manú, the kid knows what's up.

30739542_10213803375613028_240596092167651328_n.jpg

***Edit, there is a video in the link for this story, and that video is about a different incident involving fourth graders. This story is about an eighth grade class at a different school***

Charter School Alert!
(lulz)

Ah, Texas. You silly golden goose. The suggestion that slavery should be evaluated from a "balanced" point of view is probably the most outlandishly stupid and offensive piece of right wing political correctness today. The teacher is clearly a dolt, but it's not clear whether the teacher is just a "both sides" fool or a racist propagandist.

The Superintendent moved swiftly, placing the teacher on leave and starting an investigation. The worksheet is apparently not connected to the textbook publisher Pearson, and appears to be solely a product of the teacher.

I think if we can agree about any one thing on the teaching of slavery in American schools, it's that we should evaluate it honestly, and not from a presumption that both sides have merit.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/San-Antonio-school-responds-to-homework-12847564.php
He spelled "separate" wrong.

Fail.

Back