Politically Correct Homework Assignment in Texas Enrages Parents

Was it really about profitability by the time of the civil war era? i reckon the early colonists wanted to boost their colonies with imported indentured labor but it seems by the time of the confederacy it had taken a lot of religious and social reasons for its existence.

I would say that the industrial revolution maximized the profitability of human exploitation and overpopulation in Europe served perfectly for those interests.

The fact that the South didnt collapsed economically after it ended and the fact that racism didnt went away either is proof enough that slavery evolved past its economic interest into a social institution.

I think it was more Eli Whitney inventing the cotton gin, which was a labor-saving device which made slavery more lucrative. Before its invention I think slavery was declining in terms of profitability in the South.

I think it was more Eli Whitney inventing the cotton gin, which was a labor-saving device which made slavery more lucrative. Before its invention I think slavery was declining in terms of profitability in the South.

Well, no doubt exploiting people was profitable, im merely pointing out that with all the wars and overpopulation of the XIX century it would not really be that hard to replace labor once a country was properly established.

There would also not be a reason to continue with social stratification after slavery ended, just like in Mexico where the abolishment of the caste system which was in place to control the population didnt created a defacto segregation, nor racial law, once its purpose was done the barriers between castes vanished.

In the South it wasnt as such, it remained as strong as ever 100 years after the war.

From the link I posted earlier, in case it was tl;dr:
As a market, the state was so big and influential that national publishers tended to gear their books toward whatever it wanted. Back in 1994, the board requested four hundred revisions in five health textbooks it was considering. The publisher Holt, Rinehart and Winston was the target for the most changes, including the deletion of toll-free numbers for gay and lesbian groups and teenage suicide prevention groups. Holt announced that it would pull its book out of the Texas market rather than comply. (A decade later Holt was back with a new book that eliminated the gay people.)

And,

Members of the [teachers’ association] had been involved…. People with Ph.D.s had been involved in developing these standards. And then at the last second, there was this mysterious document that was shoved underneath the hotel doors of some of the board members, and this document, at the very last minute, wound up—large portions of it wound up making its way into the guidelines.

In 2010, the board launched itself into the equally contentious sea of the social studies curriculum, and the teacher-dominated team tasked with writing the standards was advised by a panel of “experts,” one of whom was a member of the Minutemen militia. Another had argued that only white people were responsible for advancing civil rights for minorities in America, since “only majorities can expand political rights in America’s constitutional society.”

Why are people defending a worksheet that infers you should pretend that slavery is good?

The Mongols may have raped every woman in Asia and the Middle East:oops:.. but hey, at least the trade routes ran on time and they practiced religious tolerance.:D

Jeff Bezos is literally Ogedei Khan.

You're a sharp dude and a contrarian by nature, can you come up with any "positive aspects" of slavery? I mean ones that would benefit both sides. I'm drawing a blank.
For American chattel slavery? Kind of hard really. Like I said earlier ITT, if you were a house Negro it was comparatively better than being a field slave. That's really all I can come up with. But maybe I could come up with more if I had one of these Texas textbooks which soft sell slavery and talk about how some slaves were treated well.

Pros:

'Better than being a slave in Africa.'

Or how about 'slavery in America was eventually abolished.'

Fun slavery fact: There are more slaves in Africa today that there were ever slaves in the US.

Slavery is cool with you? Defend that statement.

For American chattel slavery? Kind of hard really. Like I said earlier ITT, if you were a house Negro it was comparatively better than being a field slave. That's really all I can come up with. But maybe I could come up with more if I had one of these Texas textbooks which soft sell slavery and talk about how some slaves were treated well.
I can come up with one - some of their offspring, hundreds of years later might be better off than if their ancestors stayed in Africa. Too many variables too far removed from their own realities though, so not a "positive aspect". All in all, I'd rather eek out a living on the plains of Africa, trying to out run lions, than be a slave to a well meaning Texan and be unable to make decisions about my future. How does one "soft sell slavery"? I'd say that's an impossible task.

I can come up with one - some of their offspring, hundreds of years later might be better off than if their ancestors stayed in Africa. Too many variables too far removed from their own realities though, so not a "positive aspect". All in all, I'd rather eek out a living on the plains of Africa, trying to out run lions, than be a slave to a well meaning Texan and be unable to make decisions about my future.
Well its from the POV of the life of a slave so presumably the benefits to descendants wouldn't count.
How does one "soft sell slavery"? I'd say that's an impossible task.
Focus on the "good" like free food and housing like Tropodan did earlier ITT and down play the bad like the brutal physical punishment and the fact that the free food and shelter were sub par. Also talk about how the lives of some slaves were worse after slavery without paying too much heed to the fact that this was virtually entirely due to racist laws which targeted blacks.

There's always the chance that the black slave could be freed and then own black salves for himself, which would make him money.

Free black people owned slaves.

I think people in the West should think of the pros and cons of modern day slavery and how it affects their lives.

There's always the chance that the black slave could be freed and then own black salves for himself, which would make him money.

Free black people owned slaves.
@Bald1 well here you go, someone willing to look on the bright side of slavery. Free slaves could inflict the horrors they experienced on other slaves.

@Bald1 well here you go, someone willing to look on the bright side of slavery. Free slaves could inflict the horrors they experienced on other slaves.

<JagsKiddingMe><{cruzshake}>

" if you were a house Negro it was comparatively better than being a field slave. That's really all I can come up with."

Not all salves were treated bad. I wonder how the slaves the Indians owned were treated.

Yay for upwards mobility! Lol. The possibility of creating more slavery doesn't sound like a positive aspect of slavery. Otherwise one could count chattel slavery as a positive. And, well, I can't think of a more reprehensible idea than the idea of breeding people as livestock.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's not what he ment.

<JagsKiddingMe><{cruzshake}>

" if you were a house Negro it was comparatively better than being a field slave. That's really all I can come up with."

Not all salves were treated bad. I wonder how the slaves the Indians owned were treated.
If you were owning them to make money it most likely meant you were owning field slaves who were treated terribly. Never said Indians would've treated them better so not really sure why you brought them up.

If you were owning them to make money it most likely meant you were owning field slaves who were treated terribly. Never said Indians would've treated them better so not really sure why you brought them up.

Oh really? You think black people treated their slaves terribly?

Oh really? You think black people treated their slaves terribly?
I'm sure its possible and I think the incentives of the system encouraged that. Then again I could see it being better to be owned by a black slave.

Back