Political spectrums clarification

Bald1

War Room Can
@Steel
Reaction score
After trying to fill in the blanks in @Arkain2K poll, and failing I decided to try to clarify where people stand on a few issues. Hopefully this will help others as well, and I think it's worthwhile because it's a pretty interesting project Arkain2K is doing. This is going to be a fairly basic yes/no, pro/con type of deal. See this thread if you're out of the loop: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/w...gulars-sit-on-the-political-spectrum.3249693/

1) Abortion - pro life, or pro choice
2) Trans bathroom- genital based/feeling based
3) SSM - pro, con
4) Minimum wage - $15, or as is
5) Gov't paid higher education - yes, no
6) Gun control - more, less
7) Government regulations - more, less. I realize this is a very broad category, but can't really whittle it down to make this a user friendly format.
8) Drugs - legalization /decriminalization - pro, con
9) Immigration - are you more pro open borders or pro deportation.
10 ) Fill in the blank.
11) Complete brainfart,....I meant to put something about climate change in here. Thanks @Jack V Savage

My interests lie in identity politics, the migrant situation in Europe, and religion so I'm sure I missed something important. Feel free to add or substitute something depending on what you deem important. I deliberately didn't include anything about religion because while it influences people leanings, it's not a stance in itself.

Last edited:
After trying to fill in the blanks in @Arkain2K poll, and failing I decided to try to clarify where people stand on a few issues. Hopefully this will help others as well, and I think it's worthwhile because it's a pretty interesting project Arkain2K is doing. This is going to be a fairly basic yes/no, pro/con type of deal. See this thread if you're out of the loop: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/w...gulars-sit-on-the-political-spectrum.3249693/

3) SSM - pro, con
7) Government regulations - more, less. I realize this is a very broad category, but can't really whittle it down to make this a user friendly format.
10 ) Fill in the blank.

My interests lie in identity politics, the migrant situation in Europe, and religion so I'm sure I missed something important. Feel free to add or substitute something depending on what you deem important. I deliberately didn't include anything about religion because while it influences people leanings, it's not a stance in itself.

1) pro choice

2) Genital base

3) pro SSM

4) Not $15 immediate, but a series of mandated, smaller increases could work over a decade or so

5) big yes to government funded education

6) less gun control

7) selectively yes and no to this one. Too broad a question.

8) some drugs remain criminalized, some not. Again, it's a yes and no thing for me.

9) revamp legal immigration, crack down on illegal.

10) Would like to see modifications in the way government interacts with unions and reforms within unions themselves. I still believe they have important work to do but the union model has to change with changing times, and on the state side, a move away from the adversarial relationship between government and unions would be good. Tall order though.

Last edited:
I think that when it comes to identifying where you stand on the spectrum, fewer and broader questions are better. You want to isolate values from knowledge and expectations of the effects of policy and also isolate actual spectrum issues from issues that are unrelated to the spectrum. I'd add questions about welfare/SS, inheritance, capital vs. labor, and progressive taxation.

1) pro choice
2) Genital base
3) pro SSM
4) Not $15 immediate, but a series of mandated, smaller increases could work over a decade or so
5) big yes to government funded education
6) less gun control
7) selectively yes and no to this one. Too broad a question.
8) some drugs remain criminalized, some not. Again, it's a yes and no thing for me.
9) revamp legal immigration, crack down on illegal.
10) ?
Cool. Thanks for participating. 10 was meant to be a fill in what's important to you kind of thing. I realize 7 is so broad a topic that it's almost meaningless, but figured it was worth a shot.

I realize this might go against what Arkain2K is trying to do if his thread is about perception as opposed posters true leanings, but I'm unclear on some peoples ideas because I usually only participate in those threads that interest me. No matter what I'm curious where stand on those issues.

I think that when it comes to identifying where you stand on the spectrum, fewer and broader questions are better. You want to isolate values from knowledge and expectations of the effects of policy and also isolate actual spectrum issues from issues that are unrelated to the spectrum. I'd add questions about welfare/SS, inheritance, capital vs. labor, and progressive taxation.

Feel free to substitute. This is supposed to be a general outline, and I'm less interested and knowledgeable on some topics than others. I welcome any input.

1. Choice

2. Anatomy

3. Pro, but against marriage overall

4. For and against. People should be comfortable but unskilled labourers shouldnt be making bank, sorry...

5. Yes, the defense budget of the US alone would pay for the entire worlds education but could cause problems for the unskilled abour market. Im no economist, just an assumption.

6. Less

7. Depends, generally less.

8. Full legalization, only because liberty first and you reap what you sow, people dont need nannies. A big issue here is what the heck keeps law enforcement busy then?

9. On the fence.

10. Real free speech, big time yes. If the KKK or BLM want to spew their idiotic rhetoric all over the place Im fine with it, just dont assail anyone. Call me what ya want just dont call me late for dinner.

1) Abortion - pro choice
2) Trans bathroom- genital based
3) SSM - pro
4) Minimum wage - whatever
5) Gov't paid higher education - no
6) Gun control - less
7) Government regulations - depends
8) Drugs - legalization /decriminalization - pro
9) Immigration - pro legal immigration
10 ) Four day work week - Pro[/QUOTE]

There's no difference

They have billions to waste, to make you pick your team. it's sad, it's the united banks of the US.

Where did the gold go?

1) Abortion - I'm against abortion, but, unfortunately, it's an area where there is room for compromise.
2) Trans bathroom- Genital-based
3) SSM - Don't care
4) Minimum wage -
5) Gov't paid higher education - no
6) Gun control - less
7) Government regulation - Less
9) Immigration - Strong borders, careful screening of immigrants, pro deportation
10 ) I'm strongly opposed to race-/gender-based laws of both the affirmative action and apartheid varieties.

Last edited:
1) Abortion - pro choice
3) SSM - pro
4) Minimum wage - $15
5) Gov't paid higher education - NO
6) Gun control - less
7) Government regulations - less.
9) pro deportation.
10 ) I'm strongly opposed to race-/gender-based laws of both the affirmative action and apartheid varieties.

3) SSM - pro, con
10 ) Fill in the blank.

1. Pro life
2. Genital based
3. Against
4. 15
5. Yes
6. Too complexed as I'm in a different environment
7. Less
8. Only weed.
9. Curb immigration to a pre 1970's level and kick out people that even show a hint of being problematic that are already here by the tens of thousands if necessary..
10. Belief in a strong military force. I like knowing that we are capable of kicking some serious arse if we had to, but a lot of liberals want to reduce the fighting capabilities of our strong nations with a dippy dream of world peace..

1) Pro life but pro choice under compulsory pregnancies
2) Trans bathroom- However businesses would like to designate. Personally genitally based distinctions make sense, but I'm not about forcing anyone to arrange it that way.
3) SSM?
4) Market wage. Remember the absolute minimum wage is $0/hour
5) No compulsory funded education at all.
6) Constitutional gun control
7) Market regulation. No government regulation
8) All drugs legal. Why are we locking people in cages for poor health decisions?
9) Open borders without a welfare state.
10 ) No military
11) No Central Bank

Seeing as I've never "made a coherent post", maybe it's time I completed my own poll before starting the weekends festivities.

1) Abortion - pro choice, NOT pro abortion. Big difference imo
3) SSM - pro
4) Minimum wage - $15, in increments
5) Gov't paid higher education - yes, but selective studies only
6) Gun control - less, I'm in Canada
7) Government regulations - less, but really depending on the issue. Generally I believe there are enough laws on the books to regulate just about everything. Problematic question, I should have dumped it.
8) Drugs - pro decriminalization following the Portuguese model
9) Immigration - pro strictly monitored immigration, very anti what's happening in Europe, anti multiculturalism, anti open border policy
10 ) Do whatever you want, as long as you don't negatively effect others.

1) Pro life but pro choice under compulsory pregnancies
2) Trans bathroom- However businesses would like to designate. Personally genitally based distinctions make sense, but I'm not about forcing anyone to arrange it that way.
3) SSM?
4) Market wage. Remember the absolute minimum wage is $0/hour
5) No compulsory funded education at all.
6) Constitutional gun control
7) Market regulation. No government regulation
8) All drugs legal. Why are we locking people in cages for poor health decisions?
9) Open borders without a welfare state.
10 ) No military
11) No Central Bank

#3 = same sex marriage

3) SSM - pro, con
10 ) Fill in the blank.

1. I hate it, but I am for abortion. I would like it if we lived in world of more responsible people, but we don't and that sucks.

2. If you pass the eye test, I am fine with a mtf tranny using the ladies and ftm using the gents. This isn't nearly the issue that I see some of the more conservative sites/voices are making it out to be.

3. I am for SSM. That being said I also respect the rights of a church that may not want to marry two men/women. They shouldn't be forced to do anything that they don't want to.

4. Not a big deal for me. Maybe an increase to $15 would cause undesired effects. I would hope not though.

5. No. I feel that if somebody gets a degree in something worth a damn, they can pay off loans. It can and has been done.

6. (If I were 'murikan) Better background checks to get guns away from crazies/criminals.

7. Less govt regulation mainly when it comes to your typical everyday things (eg: bs traffic laws that a certain LHW recently ran afoul of). Other things obviously require govt regulation eg: protecting its citizens from actual threats from others.

8. I am for decriminalising all drugs. The way I see it is if you are stupid enough to do heroin, you deserve to drop dead from an overdose. I am for treating adults like adults. Obviously that wont ever happen, so for now ffs - decriminalize weed. As a certain Canadian might say - "It's 2016".

9. As long as you want to be in a country legally and have been quite thoroughly vetted, come on in.

10. As long as what you do doesn't infringe on my rights, have at it.

I'll take a crack, despite my objections.

3) SSM - pro, con
10 ) Fill in the blank.

1) Pro choice.
2) I would say "expression-based."
3) Pro
4) Higher than it is, but $15 is way too high. Major problems could arise from that.
5) No. Better ways to both encourage education and redistribute, IMO.
6) Don't care either way.
7) Can't answer as written. More good ones, less bad ones.
8) Decriminalization for buyers/users, yes. Don't support companies being able to sell dangerous and addictive products with no consequences, though.
9) I'd prefer making it much easier to do legally, and I think unauthorized immigration is a victimless crime that mostly helps the country, but I wouldn't support fully open borders. I think we need to let a lot more people in, but keep track of them, and then protect them when they're here.
10) I support something like SS for children, paid for by higher taxes on capital and inheritance (or all from inheritance if we can raise enough that way). I think we can completely eliminate child poverty without a huge increase in taxes or huge cuts in other things.
11) Not a single issue, but the environment may be the single most important issue.

3) SSM - pro, con
10 ) Fill in the blank.

1. Pro choice but it's not as simple as that as I'd always choose life unless the mothers life is in jeopardy.
2. Unisex
3. For
4. Minimum wage is the worst idea made into law in the US.
5. Nope
6. Shall not be infringed
7. Environmental more, morals less
8. Legal, the scope of our government does not give them authority over what we grow, make, or consume.
9. Pro legal immigration. Pro deportation and even execution of illegals.
10. Less regulation of random things that only serve as revenue sources.

I consider myself a centrist but I maybe I'm not according to Sherdog's standards.

Don't care / Not a voting issue for me

3) SSM - pro, con

I actually like Carson's idea of a separate starter wage because inexperienced people will be hurt the most here since there is zero reason for an employer to hire someone with little to no experience for $15hr. I sure as hell wouldn't. For adults with experience but don't have the
smarts or ambition to rise above minimum wage work, I am ok with $13 dollars and eventually $15. Anybody who puts in 40 hrs a week should be able to provide for themselves and loved ones.

I am open to funding trade and tech schools with a strict and enforced minimum progression. No slacking off and no bullshit majors/trades. All curriculums will be open to change and will change according to the current market's demand. This way, I don't feel like my extra tax money is going to waste. The idea that all public colleges will be funded by taxpayers I do not agree with. I'll be damned if I'm going to help pay for some kid to take Women's Studies or French Literature and not have any job offers upon graduation. The same for kids who slack off and get shitty grades.

More. I am in favor of an assault weapons ban and other overkill/military-esque munitions but I will not go out of my way to vote for it. I have friends and family that own ar-15 and I sold mine a year ago so this isn't something I will beat my chest over. I also am fine with forced
background checks but I would also be in favor in of paying slightly higher taxes so that the really poor people in rough neighborhoods don't have to eat the cost.The best solution is that a Republican can move around the budget to ease the cost these checks.

Too broad to answer.

Legalize weed and restrict it like alcohol. Do not legalize hard drugs but lower the sentencing for possesion only. Traffickers of hard drugs belong in prison. Siphon some entitlements for illegals to provide more resources in helping those already addicted.

Build the damn wall where we need it and enforce the laws we already have. No more sanctuary cities.

10 ) Allow veterans to choose their providers. The VA is shit and vets who don't live near one are screwed over. Let them go to the same doctor as we do. Also, we need harsher penalties on states who are slow to update the Federal database on mental health so that the universal background checks can actually be somewhat effective.

Last edited:
3) SSM - pro, con
10 ) Fill in the blank.
11) Complete brainfart,....I meant to put something about climate change in here. Thanks

1. Abortions - Pro choice
2. Trans bathrooms - Feeling based
3. SSM - pro
4. Minimum wage - $15
5. Government paid higher education - yes
6. Gun control - more
7. Government regulations - more regulations of corporations. Much, much more.
8. Drugs - I'm not in a hurry to legalize drugs, but America has a prison problem that's waaaay out of control. Pro.
9. Immigration - illegals are illegal, deport them; be open to increasing the amount of legal immigrants if the economy / population needs those numbers. Unsure about refugees.
10. Climate change - something needs to be done immediately.

imo, you're missing:

-increasing/decreasing corporate regulations
-worker rights
-religion in government

The first two points make sense.

To me the strict separation of church and state in the western world is a given, and an absolute must, and that's probably why I completely over looked that point.

Feel free to substitute. This is just a quick and simple list I put together from the more "popular" topics in the WR.

Back