Crime Police Officer Arrives on Scene, Shoots and Kills Armed Security Guard

I do think this bolsters the argument those on the "ban all gun" side advocate. Our cops are paranoid. Training can't completely replace experience.

It also intersects with race and gender. If the security guard was a woman, especially a white or fair-skinned asian woman, I think it's safe to say he'd be viewed as less of a threat. Many have argued that the 2nd amendment is not equally available to all people, which is something that needs to be resolved, if possible.

I'm not trading my self-defense rights in for some incremental gain in the chances of an incredibly already rare event occurring. Every day people defend themselves with firearms against folks they'd otherwise be at the mercy of.

Resolving it is taking guns away from everyone? Except the government of course. Doesn't seem like the best response when we have a segment of the population feeling oppressed by violent police tactics.

This could have all been avoided if more people were armed. Maybe someone to stop the cop from shooting the good guy?

Is it only in movies police scream freeze before shooting. Is it normal for police to arrive and just pull a gun and shoot?

Many police officers around the world presuppose that the powers of armed arrest only lies within the government. Which is true in some jurisdictions.

If Roberson didn't have the intention of saving the perp's life by arresting him, he wouldn't be in the line of fire. That's why it's sad: self-defense (and defense of others) in legalese means that one knowingly violates the law but has good justification for it but the police don't give a fuck in the heat of combat. That's why when one decides to act violently in self-defense, one must be prepared to do it like a criminal would: escape the danger zone pronto, report the incident pronto (aka establishing alibi), contact your lawyer pronto. It's not a civilian's job to arrest the perp. But in Roberson's case it's blurred: he was venue security.

Why did he have to make a quick decision when he saw an armed stranger holding a gun on another? Gee, I don't know.
A criminal intending to shoot someone would have shot the person and ran away.

Way too quick on the trigger.

With the info at hand, he should lose his job.
He should not be charged.

No way he would be convicted.

I'm not sure what type of training the security guard went through.
I would assume as soon as you see cop lights pull up, best thing to do is to put your gun down and put your hands up.

Last edited:
I want to hear the dispatch. Then I will decide who all needs to be fired and charged.

Not sure how people are defending the cop or saying it was a tough call if the facts as we know them are true. As a cop you cant just start shooting and ask questions later. You need to know if your target is actually a target. they didnt walk into an active shooting situation, apparently things had already settled down. So upon arrival, they need to assess the situation and THEN determine if shooting is warranted. yes, the guard had a gun, but since guns are legal, they cannot be sure if he is a good guy or bad guy. it was a bad shoot, plain and simple.

that said, of course this is going to be the next incident that will light the racism fires. i hate that it automatically goes that route immediately, no matter what info we have. could it be racism? maybe. do i know that? of course not. considering the defense some people are giving him, i think it is more likely the cop arrived, did not remember how to do his job, and made a horrendous decision to shoot now and let god sort em out. but racism is easier

Cops are taught if they’re plain clothed and uniformed cops arrive, get on the ground with everyone else and certainly don’t have your weapon out. Totally preventable and of course race becomes a factor because why not.

Damn... Add being a Black Good Samaritan to the list of shit that will get black folks killed by the police.

I just took a look at this case. Apparently the security guard doesn't have a carry license and you can't carry in a place where 50 percent of sales come from alcohol. He only has a FOID card? I am assuming the law is similar to big cities where you can own a gun but it needs to stay in your home in a box with a lock. I am also not sure what the law is with regards to working as a security officer. The whole thing is a clusterfuck.

Cop is an idiot. Should get manslaughter.

So basically shoot first and ask questions later.. When do cops not have to make a "quick decision?" Do police outside of the U.S never have to make quick decisions? When that's you're only defense, something is very wrong with the way they're trained.
What a dumb question. You know the answer to that. He was facing an armed stranger with a gun fixed on another stranger. The police got a call about someone shooting, they show up and see a guy with a gun pointed at someone. How does he know this isn't the shooter threatening a citizen? Why is a security guard at a club carrying anyway, especially when he had no concealed weapons permit.

If someone ha a gun fixed on you and the police show, do you want them to take that guy threatening you out? You do, of course, but I'm sure you'll try to say otherwise because of this discussion.

This was an unfortunate event, no doubt, but the reasons why it happened are pretty clear.

And your attempt at bringing up his ethnicity as the reason for this being news is very telling.. Not to say that you're racist but that you've already got your mind made up and now feel the need to defend the police at all costs against liberal bias.
There was no attempt. Almost every headline showcases the guy's race. Thats literally the only reason we're discussing it here.

Not sure how people are defending the cop or saying it was a tough call if the facts as we know them are true. As a cop you cant just start shooting and ask questions later. You need to know if your target is actually a target. they didnt walk into an active shooting situation, apparently things had already settled down. So upon arrival, they need to assess the situation and THEN determine if shooting is warranted. yes, the guard had a gun, but since guns are legal, they cannot be sure if he is a good guy or bad guy. it was a bad shoot, plain and simple.

that said, of course this is going to be the next incident that will light the racism fires. i hate that it automatically goes that route immediately, no matter what info we have. could it be racism? maybe. do i know that? of course not. considering the defense some people are giving him, i think it is more likely the cop arrived, did not remember how to do his job, and made a horrendous decision to shoot now and let god sort em out. but racism is easier

I think people have a simplistic understanding of modern racism. It isn't about whether this cop harbored some hatred of black people in his heart. Studies have shown that all Americans, including black Americans, are more prone to viewing black Americans as violent. When people say such police shootings are racist, they are referring to this idea. In an ideal world, someone's skin color shouldn't make them viewed as more dangerous. The cop doesn't have to be racist to fall victim to racism.

I'm not trading my self-defense rights in for some incremental gain in the chances of an incredibly already rare event occurring. Every day people defend themselves with firearms against folks they'd otherwise be at the mercy of.

Resolving it is taking guns away from everyone? Except the government of course. Doesn't seem like the best response when we have a segment of the population feeling oppressed by violent police tactics.

I sort of agree, I just meant that such things are debatable. Which is how this incident fits into the larger gun debate.

In the words of a wise man named Herb Dean:
“Protect yourself at all times”

I'm tired of seeing these types of stories. The old excuse was, "if you would stop resisting, cops would stop shooting."

- Philando was shot in his car with his baby girl and her mother in the car after telling the cop he was C&C.
- Botham Shem Jean was shot up just for living in his apartment.
- Behavioral therapist was laying on the ground, hands up trying to tend to his adult autistic patient. Got shot and when they asked the officer why he shot, he said, "I don't know."
- This dude was apprehending a shooter and still ends up dead at the hands of police officer.

This is someone who should be applauded for being a hero of sorts is dead. Doesn't get to go home and see his family or friends.

I love and support my police. Their jobs are very hard. But I also have no issues saying that something needs to be done. More training, the hiring of more competent people, I don't know. But something has to be done. A small percentage of idiots make the whole police force look dumb.

Back