Polaris 7 - Gilbert Burns finishes Gregor Gracie by Suplex!

tenor.gif

Thanks for spoiling the event. Haven’t had time to sit down and watch it and was planning on watching it tonight. You’re a real fuck face.

only problem neither is a wrestler.
I wish Burns would learn some nice wrestling, he has fallen in love with his right hand, but he is a much better grappler, than striker. Pls, go back to armbarring people, Burns.

I don't understand why people call this a suplex.. it is just like a small bump, this technique for me is just a waste of energy. There are much easier ways of getting an opponent down to the same position from there.

I don't understand why people call this a suplex.. it is just like a small bump, this technique for me is just a waste of energy. There are much easier ways of getting an opponent down to the same position from there.

There are probably more efficient ways he could have gone about this but this was probably the coolest. The mat return was awesome and everybody loves when someone goes airborne.

What would you do that would be more efficient?

Also why was Gregor so straight up? It seems that he wasn't expecting the mat return but I don't know what a posture that upright could offer you defensively.

Last edited:
I am dying to do a big mat return to someone or suplex them but I cannot really think of a safe way to execute them.
Does anyone have suggestions where I can do a sort of "baby suplex" or mat return where the opponent lands in a reasonably safe manner without a spring loaded mat?

I believe there are variations where they land more on their back as well as more "chair sit" variations where you take some of the amplitude out of the mat return/suplex while perhaps still ingraining analogous movement.

There are probably more efficient ways he could have gone about this but this was probably the coolest. The mat return was awesome and everybody loves when someone goes airborne.

What would you do that would be more efficient?

Also why was Gregor so straight up? It seems that he wasn't expecting the mat return but I don't know what a posture that upright could offer you defensively.
I would put my right leg in front of his right hand drag him down. This way is much better for me. Or to switch to a single from there. Not too many guys expect a shot from back clinch.

I would put my right leg in front of his right hand drag him down. This way is much better for me. Or to switch to a single from there. Not too many guys expect a shot from back clinch.

Perhaps you have a video of the first thing you're talking about or can elaborate? I would think that might be more difficult since his weight isn't particularly committed any direction.

I am dying to do a big mat return to someone or suplex them but I cannot really think of a safe way to execute them.
Does anyone have suggestions where I can do a sort of "baby suplex" or mat return where the opponent lands in a reasonably safe manner without a spring loaded mat?

I believe there are variations where they land more on their back as well as more "chair sit" variations where you take some of the amplitude out of the mat return/suplex while perhaps still ingraining analogous movement.

It is actually very safe to return somebody from a waist lock ... just pop them up, rotate, and put them down on their back. This injury was more from terrible ukemi than a dangerous TD.

I have thrown people dozens of times like that and nobody has been injured by it. It’s fighting the TD that gets you injured.

Thanks for spoiling the event. Haven’t had time to sit down and watch it and was planning on watching it tonight. You’re a real fuck face.

Yet you had time to come onto the forum and cry. Should have prioritized better.

What Durinho does there is a mat return, a suplex takes your opponent over your head.

To suplex from the back you basically just chair sit behind them and the amplitude is decided by how early you arch into a back bridge. Lie down first = baby throw. As soon as his weight 's off the floor = "grand amplitude" points/smiles from the wrestling gods/possible head-spike murder.

Unless you're already super good at it, though, there are probably better options for sub grappling and fighting given the high difficulty level, likely loss of control on the finish and risk of KOing yourself if you fuck it up.

What Durinho does there is a mat return, a suplex takes your opponent over your head.

To suplex from the back you basically just chair sit behind them and the amplitude is decided by how early you arch into a back bridge. Lie down first = baby throw. As soon as his weight 's off the floor = "grand amplitude" points/smiles from the wrestling gods/possible head-spike murder.

Unless you're already super good at it, though, there are probably better options for sub grappling and fighting given the high difficulty level, likely loss of control on the finish and risk of KOing yourself if you fuck it up.

At 285lbs my experience may not be scalable but I find it quite easy, having got to the big mat return / suplex position, to go ahead with it at like 50%. The smaller guys actually tell me to go a bit harder quite often lol and use my weight more. As PSB said you simply 'let your weight go first' and semi-drag your opponent to the mat, whether belly to back or belly to belly, rather than doing the full rotation and smashing him into the mat with all of your weight impacting through him. You can do a kind of outside trip / suplex hybrid to go really light. The most important thing is not to land your opponent on his head / one shoulder in training for obvious reasons. Or if you do just go very light. Give it a go and I'm sure you'll gain confidence that the above gif will not happen to your training partner as long as you're sensible.

It is actually very safe to return somebody from a waist lock ... just pop them up, rotate, and put them down on their back. This injury was more from terrible ukemi than a dangerous TD.
I have thrown people dozens of times like that and nobody has been injured by it. It’s fighting the TD that gets you injured.

What should Gregor have done differently?

OK. So if I'm understanding you correctly, the amplitude is controlled by your squat depth. So for example, turning immediately from an an erect position will result in a higher amplitude throw than pulling the opponent into a 90 degree chair sit first and then turning from there.

I know we already had a couple threads on mat returns but what (more efficient) options would you prefer? Most wrestling videos I find seem to be about mat returns to the turtle position rather than into side control for some reason.

I love it when wrestling defeats BJJ. It helps to keep grapplers honest.

Are you calling Burns a wresler ??

And one more thing... is that form of injured an opponent by "suplex", gave him the victory in this match?

Are you calling Burns a wresler ??

And one more thing... is that form of injured an opponent by "suplex", gave him the victory in this match?

If your opponent is injured by a legal technique and can’t continue, you win. Same as in wrestling, judo, BJJ, etc.

If your opponent is injured by a legal technique and can’t continue, you win. Same as in wrestling, judo, BJJ, etc.
Thanks for clearing that out. I really acknowledge Polaris's rules.

Back