Polaris 5 post fight talk?

It is just a rumor so take it with a grain of salt but I heard they are training mostly wrestling with some chokes and back attacks off the front headlock. But mostly offensive and defensive wrestling.

I hope they're figuring out some good tricks, because the anti-Danaher gameplan seems to have crystallized over the past year: force them to play a positional game, even if you have to stall to do it.

I'm just an idiot who sucks at Jiu jitsu, but seems like a good solution would be to start looking at sweeps as primary counters off their typical leg entries. If opponents are just going to stay at a safe distance and spin out the second their leg is entangled, then they need to make them pay with ankle picks and low singles

I know the Danaher Death Squad are smashing things competitively but their style sometimes frustrates me. I get that they are hitting some awesome subs and all that, but I guess I just like to have some of my BJJ based around strikes and some sort of positional dominance. I know most people hate the IBJJF and people gaming the system to win on advantages, but at it's basic level the idea was to include some realism to the sport.

They are so good at leg attack game of course someone is going to disengage. I hope they do mix things up and just go back to the wrestling and try for other options. There is nothing worse than having a good match ruined because someone doesn't want to play that game and neither party will look at other options.

I know the Danaher Death Squad are smashing things competitively but their style sometimes frustrates me. I get that they are hitting some awesome subs and all that, but I guess I just like to have some of my BJJ based around strikes and some sort of positional dominance. I know most people hate the IBJJF and people gaming the system to win on advantages, but at it's basic level the idea was to include some realism to the sport.

They are so good at leg attack game of course someone is going to disengage. I hope they do mix things up and just go back to the wrestling and try for other options. There is nothing worse than having a good match ruined because someone doesn't want to play that game and neither party will look at other options.

Honestly I think they get a bad wrap as far as the positional game is concerned. They're better at it than a lot of their highlight reels suggest. At least with back control. They're all good at getting to the back, holding it, and finishing from there. Anytime I've ever seen Cummings go for the back, he's gotten it. To be fair I've only seen him go for the back instead of the legs 4 or 5 times. Did you see Ryan's matches last weekend? They were straight forward pressure passing to subs from the top. And Tonon is well rounded. He's pretty good everywhere. Ryan is definitely the best of the 3 with guard passing with what we've seen so far. But they're also good at getting to dominant positions without straight forward passing. They all seem to be really good at those rolling kimuras.

Honestly I think they get a bad wrap as far as the positional game is concerned. They're better at it than a lot of their highlight reels suggest. At least with back control. They're all good at getting to the back, holding it, and finishing from there. Anytime I've ever seen Cummings go for the back, he's gotten it. To be fair I've only seen him go for the back instead of the legs 4 or 5 times. Did you see Ryan's matches last weekend? They were straight forward pressure passing to subs from the top. And Tonon is well rounded. He's pretty good everywhere. Ryan is definitely the best of the 3 with guard passing with what we've seen so far. But they're also good at getting to dominant positions without straight forward passing. They all seem to be really good at those rolling kimuras.

Yeah I guess knowing that they can do that sort of stuff really well is what frustrates me a little. I just see the leg lock spamming similar to a butt scoot and refusing to engage in any other way with the opponent. I know they are all highly skilled and can do that positional game, but at the highest level everyone can do that so we get these high percentage leg lock attacks instead.

I love those rolling kimuras :) I use the kimura grip for everything I can now and I use them for lots of sweeps and passes from, side control, half guard both top and bottom.

I know these guys are good and very well rounded. I just get a little bored watching one guy spin out of heel hooks and the other guy do no handed capoeira.

Not knocking their skills at all though, just my personal opinion on the type of grappling I would prefer to watch.

Yeah I guess knowing that they can do that sort of stuff really well is what frustrates me a little. I just see the leg lock spamming similar to a butt scoot and refusing to engage in any other way with the opponent. I know they are all highly skilled and can do that positional game, but at the highest level everyone can do that so we get these high percentage leg lock attacks instead.

I love those rolling kimuras :) I use the kimura grip for everything I can now and I use them for lots of sweeps and passes from, side control, half guard both top and bottom.

I know these guys are good and very well rounded. I just get a little bored watching one guy spin out of heel hooks and the other guy do no handed capoeira.

Not knocking their skills at all though, just my personal opinion on the type of grappling I would prefer to watch.
I agree. I get tired of watching leg jousting also. Gordon Ryan's matches the other weekend were a nice breath of fresh air. I at least like a mix of the more conventional game mixed in. Plus I think it arguably opens up more leg lock options. If you don't have good pressure passing then people can read that you're going to possibly just dive into their legs or head, and you can defend easier than if they truly pressure you first.

It's much easier to defend a 4-11/saddle attempt from their leg drag pass if there's no pressure on their leg drag. If there's pressure on the leg drag than both their passing threat and leg lock threat are more credible IMO.

Back