Pokémon Discussion volume 9

The switch games were a bit different than I expected. Not looking forward to it as much anymore. Thought they would be more like the main series, but seems like that's not gonna be the case.

The switch games were a bit different than I expected. Not looking forward to it as much anymore. Thought they would be more like the main series, but seems like that's not gonna be the case.

The new main line games are scheduled for second half 2019. These upcoming ones are geared more towards helping move the pokemon go crowd to the main line games next year.

The new main line games are scheduled for second half 2019. These upcoming ones are geared more towards helping move the pokemon go crowd to the main line games next year.
Yeah that's a key point people are missing, we have a new main line game out in 2019. The first Pokemon game for Switch was always going to be a game that took advantage of the switches unique abilities, and could be quickly developed.

As someone who still plays Pokemon Go, I think it is awesome that all Kanto Pokemon will transfer between the games. They also announced the very first Gen 8 Pokemon will be available as a gift reward, for transferring pokemon between go and lets go.

Anyone play VGC? I've had a couple double battles in the past and felt completely lost, but tonight I made my first real foray with the June International Competition. Got stomped the first few games and was discouraged, but finished the last 6 matches with 4 wins after getting the hang of my team. The matches I did lose could have easily gone the other way. Felt like shit early but I ended up having fun. It's a brutal format, one mistake early can lead to getting blown out immediately and there are so many different strategies to contend with. I'm mixed on it, there's a lot I like but they feel so stressful and chaotic that it almost negates the good parts. I'm looking forward to playing around with it in the future, I saw a brutal Araquanid/Oranguru core that would be a lot of fun.

These upcoming ones are geared more towards helping move the pokemon go crowd to the main line games next year.

Business/Marketing wise this makes sense but it's kind of weird to keep hearing this, as if the main series is complicated or something lol.

To me it would seem like people who are more interested in Go style play would still not be interested in the main series if their main reason for playing Go is because they don't like to be sitting around at home playing game. I don't feel like people are really intimated by the main series or something.

But either way I'm sure they're gonna make tons of money off these games. I'll probably get both of them lol

After days of resetting, I finally got a shiny Naganadel! After seeing how close it looks to a Mega Beedrill, I just had to go for it. It kicked my ass in VGC until I realized my Tapu Lele countered it fairly well. I'm glad I can use a legit shiny of my own.

official_pokemon_ultra_sun_and_ultra_moon_shiny_naganadel_artwork.jpg

e86be990cd3fd58a482aeadd8304602024e4cefe_hq.jpg

After days of resetting, I finally got a shiny Naganadel! After seeing how close it looks to a Mega Beedrill, I just had to go for it. It kicked my ass in VGC until I realized my Tapu Lele countered it fairly well. I'm glad I can use a legit shiny of my own.

official_pokemon_ultra_sun_and_ultra_moon_shiny_naganadel_artwork.jpg

e86be990cd3fd58a482aeadd8304602024e4cefe_hq.jpg
Wow nice job dude! Congratulations!

It really does look similar. Even identical poses!

Wow nice job dude! Congratulations!

It really does look similar. Even identical poses!
Thanks! I really underestimated how long it would take.

I spent my day off breeding hundreds of Orangurus and Littens for my Trick Room VGC team I'm building around my shiny Araquanid since it has 0 Speed IV's, Brave nature, and the move Wide Guard. Last match I lost was to an Araquanid/Oranguru combo who are two of my favorites. I thought I'd breed a Torkoal since it pairs well with Oranguru and had to level up a Typhlosion to pass on Eruption to it. Right as I got all the pieces together to start breeding for stats, I accidentally bred a shiny, Sassy, 0 Speed IV, Drought Torkoal with Eruption.

I'm naming her Yellowstone.
tumblr_o1uh1hlGhC1uy9vpto1_500.png

Fuck! It was supposed to be Quiet, not Sassy! I fucked up huge. That would have been an amazing Pokemon to have.

I said I would never generate a shiny, but I might make an exception for this one.

Last edited:
Trying to install custom firmware was way harder than I expected. Luckily I found someone to correct my mistake for me. I found out yesterday that my bearded dragon died back home, I wanted to breed a Pokemon in honor of her. Shiny Torkoal was perfect, they were the same color and everything.

puIWoLH.jpg

Trying to install custom firmware was way harder than I expected. Luckily I found someone to correct my mistake for me. I found out yesterday that my bearded dragon died back home, I wanted to breed a Pokemon in honor of her. Shiny Torkoal was perfect, they were the same color and everything.

puIWoLH.jpg
Sorry to hear that man. Always sucks to lose a pet.

Thinking of going for a play through of US or UM with a team of my favorite non legendaries from the Pokebank. Basically, as soon as the game allows it I will take 6 of my favorite level 5 ish Pokemon from the bank and play with them and evolve them as they go.

Thinking of going with the following team:
250px-160Feraligatr.png
250px-697Tyrantrum.png
250px-149Dragonite.png
250px-229Houndoom.png
250px-178Xatu.png
250px-214Heracross.png

Tried to make it a bit diverse in terms of typing, but that wasn't my main concern since you don't need a balanced team of only the strongest Pokemon to play through the game.

Was pretty hard to make a final pick of 6 though. Lot's of other amazing Pokemon that didn't make the cut: Rampardos, Bastiodon, Steelix, Meganium, Alakazam, Gengar, Donphan, Muk, Charizard, Hitmonlee, Machamp, Kabutops, Gyarados, Kingler, Turtonator, Tyranitar, Pinsir and a few more.

I did the Favorite Pokemon Picker, and that definitely helps. But while I will generally have the same group of Pokemon in my top 50 or so, the order will probably depend on the day.

Last edited:
Thinking of going for a play through of US or UM with a team of my favorite non legendaries from the Pokebank. Basically, as soon as the game allows it I will take 6 of my favorite level 5 ish Pokemon from the bank and play with them and evolve them as they go.

250px-160Feraligatr.png
250px-697Tyrantrum.png
250px-149Dragonite.png
250px-229Houndoom.png
250px-178Xatu.png
250px-214Heracross.png

Tried to make it a bit diverse in terms of typing, but that wasn't my main concern since you don't need a balanced team of only the strongest Pokemon to play through the game.

Was pretty hard to make a final pick of 6 though. Lot's of other amazing Pokemon that didn't make the cut: Rampardos, Bastiodon, Steelix, Meganium, Alakazam, Gengar, Donphan, Muk, Charizard, Hitmonlee, Machamp, Kabutops, Gyarados, Kingler, Turtonator, Tyranitar, Pinsir and a few more.

I did the Favorite Pokemon Picker, and that definitely helps. But while I will generally have the same group of Pokemon in my top 50 or so, the order will probably depend on the day.
That's how I like to play. Pick my favorite 10 or so, start at lvl 1 and play.

250px-160Feraligatr.png
250px-697Tyrantrum.png
250px-149Dragonite.png
250px-229Houndoom.png
250px-178Xatu.png
250px-214Heracross.png

Looks like a great team, I just did something similar with Feraligatr and Heracross. I have a pretty good Totodile in a Lure Ball if you want one. And Heracross in just about any ball you can think of.

I'm really getting in to VGC, ended up tinkering a bit more with my team so it's got Oranguru, Inciniroar, Torkoal, Araquanid, Drampa, and I just added Naganadel. Oranguru sets up the Trick Room obviously, Inciniroar minimizes first turn damage with Fake Out but can U-Turn out if I want to go right to Torkoal for the nuclear Eruption. Naganadel replaced Amoongus who I never brought and Cressilia who didn't hit hard enough, it's looking like a good check for the Tapus and Salamences that are everywhere and let's me show off my shiny. I should probably replace Araquanid for something more versatile but she's won a few games and can poke holes in teams, plus she's the reason I made a Trick Room team to begin with. Playing ranked is stupid fun, I just beat a 1600+ and am working my way up the ladder.

Looks like a great team, I just did something similar with Feraligatr and Heracross. I have a pretty good Totodile in a Lure Ball if you want one. And Heracross in just about any ball you can think of.
I appreciate the offer man, but I already got a good Totodile ready to go! And I might have a Heracross somewhere too!

Back