Pokémon Discussion volume 9

Feeding/petting them has nothing to do with the competitive side, it's for in game. The higher you get your Pokemon's affection by petting and feeding them they'll get some boosts during battle. They get more exp, and have a chance to cure status ailments by themselves during battle. Also have a chance to dodge an attack randomly or get critical hits more often. Pretty worth it imo.

yeah I should really learn to separate my posts. I know the feeding/petting has nothing to do with the competitive portion was just trying to post more about what was going on in this page with a couple posts about breeding. How long does it take you guys to get the perfect pokemon?

i'll give it a go on the petting/feeding if it's that helpful.

*after rereading my original posts, yeah I see I made it seem as the feeding/petting was part of the competitive scene.

I can, but I need a few months my 3DS dun goofed when I was rehacking it so I have to buy a whole new one.

Remember kids, never attempt to downgrade your firmware on low battery. :mad:

Forretress is alright, too much stall for me though. Spikes, Spin, rinse, repeat.
Forretress doesn't stall, he has no recovery. He sets and clears hazards so you can turn 2HKO's in to OHKO's and keep your squishy shit alive. Gyro Ball hits shit hard, especially the Island Guardian fairies that everyone uses on their team, and just those bulky fairies in general. Best of all, the sturdy ability lets you live at least one attack if you have full health, pair that with the custap berry which lets you move first when low on health and you have one of the sneakiest Explosions in the game. Forretress either keeps my stuff alive, is useless, or goes wild and wrecks the other team if they are overly physical, used to run him alongside a speed boosting Ninjask with Toxic though, that was fun.
I'm using it for status ailments, I'm not going to be feeding them though. never been a fan of the breeding system in this game, probably because I'm not that competitive with the game. I think the last time I spent anytime trying to do the perfect breed was for ff7 and those damn chocobos.

any tips on how to get abra or is it just a luck thing? I wasted a couple ultra balls trying to snag him last night.
Quick Balls, the blue ones with the yellow stripes, have a really high catch rate on the first through. You're almost guaranteed to catch an Abra that you find, they're really common on Wonder Trade too, I could give you one if you wanted.

Just wonder traded away one of those Scythers for a Magnemite named Wonderlocke, so I'm going to assume they struck gold on that one. I actually played through the game with a badass Scyther from Japan with Focus Energy and the Slash moves from Wonder Trade.

We should start playing eachother or something. Competitive is a chore to keep up with, but playing with a group with some ground rules should be a lot of fun.

Real shame that I haven't got this yet, money is just tight right now. Plus I heard this game runs like shit on older 3DS models.
I feel you, I was late to the game myself. It's a fucking awesome game, in my opinion it's easily the best one of the series. It runs ok on the old 3DS's, there's not horde battles anymore and it's when there's more than two Pokemon that it ever has problems. Even then it's not that bad, it's just optimized for the new ones. 2DS's are really cheap right now.

Forretress doesn't stall, he has no recovery. He sets and clears hazards so you can turn 2HKO's in to OHKO's and keep your squishy shit alive. Gyro Ball hits shit hard, especially the Island Guardian fairies that everyone uses on their team, and just those bulky fairies in general. Best of all, the sturdy ability lets you live at least one attack if you have full health, pair that with the custap berry which lets you move first when low on health and you have one of the sneakiest Explosions in the game. Forretress either keeps my stuff alive, is useless, or goes wild and wrecks the other team if they are overly physical, used to run him alongside a speed boosting Ninjask with Toxic though, that was fun.

Quick Balls, the blue ones with the yellow stripes, have a really high catch rate on the first through. You're almost guaranteed to catch an Abra that you find, they're really common on Wonder Trade too, I could give you one if you wanted.
I should say, Forretress is used in some stall teams due to his hazard setting and removal. Gyro Ball can hit pretty hard, Brave 0 speed IVs, 252 Attack EVs, but he's meant as an entry hazard 'mon. You can use him as a physical tank/attacker but a lot of other mons are better suited to that role. Skarmory is a much more consistent wall with Roost, Defog, and Whirlwind which makes it a much more consistent Pseudo-hazer as well. Brave Bird (Flying-STAB) prevents Skarmory from being completely shut down by Taunt unlike Forretress aside from Gyro Ball/Explosion which has weak coverage in general. Skarm threatens Pokemon that it often switches in on, hitting Pokemon weak to Flying such as Pheromosa, Buzzwole, Mega Venusaur, and Tapu Bulu for respectable damage. I should say, Forrestress does possess a few more unique perks at the top of the OU metagame with a bit more punch, but lacking the key recovery and typing/hazing advantages.

The process to get the two Megastones is a lot more laborious than I expected. I had competed in a tournament in person before and had an account already, but now I can register online for legit tournaments and shit which is pretty cool if it's necessary for those two Megas. Looks like they may be giving some pretty cool stuff through this kind of stuff, good way to pull the community in deeper.

Mega Mawile was an absolute monster for me to go against since most Bugs couldn't touch it, luckily it's going to be pretty rare. Beedrill no longer needs that first turn protect to survive, so now he gets even more coverage and momentum. Can't wait to smash and pass with U-Turn and Golisipod.

Quick balls are my fucking shit, lol. Always love when I don't have to waste a shit ton of what else I have on a legendary.

Quick balls are my fucking shit, lol. Always love when I don't have to waste a shit ton of what else I have on a legendary.
Super useful but overwhelmingly ugly in my opinion, though I know people who love the design and thinks it's the best.

Super useful but overwhelmingly ugly in my opinion, though I know people who love the design and thinks it's the best.
Off the top of my head, dusk balls are probably my favorite looks wise.

Ah wait...Luxury or Premier... Those are top 3 though.

Off the top of my head, dusk balls are probably my favorite looks wise.

Ah wait...Luxury or Premier... Those are top 3 though.
Cherish balls look great too.

That they do.

...that's enough talk of balls though... :p :D
There's never enough ball talk on this forum! I just got two Shellders, one in a heavy ball and the other in a lure ball, both of them had all the pieces for a competitive build. Shell Smash Cloyster is one of the dirtiest tricks in the game, but man is it effective!

I always like when a Pokemon is caught in a ball that makes no sense for them.

Like Snorlax in a Fast Ball...lol.

Since we're still talking about balls...the Moon ball is easily the stupidest ball.

1411662295067.png

& what the fuck are the Dream & Lake balls??

The heavy ball looks pretty good on a Cloyster, I reckon. My favorite combination is a heart ball Heracross, but only if it's a shiny female.

Since we're still talking about balls...the Moon ball is easily the stupidest ball.

1411662295067.png

& what the fuck are the Dream & Lake balls??
Never heard of the lake Ball, but the dream ball is from the Dream World online service that they had. You could find hidden ability Pokemon there like Drizzle Politoed. I actually have one of those shiny Heracrosses in a dream ball, it looks awesome with the pink puff of smoke the ball has on it's animation.

Dusk ball + Giratina...aww yeh.
Giratina could probably be awesome in any ball, probably. Araquanid is a new one with a good combo, the water web that the Net Ball has is perfect for it.

Giratina could probably be awesome in any ball, probably. Araquanid is a new one with a good combo, the water web that the Net Ball has is perfect for it.
Daaamn. That is a good combo :D
Any spider in the Net ball I guess :p

Daaamn. That is a good combo :D
Any spider in the Net ball I guess :p
ESPECIALLY Araquanid since it's a web made of water. Though it can kind of work for Galvantula too since it's got Thunder and all.

ESPECIALLY Araquanid since it's a web made of water. Though it can kind of work for Galvantula too since it's got Thunder and all.
I actually caught my Crabrawler in a Net ball because I thought it was water at first, lol. Looked good on it though.

Back