Please help - why is my internet so slow?

Grassshoppa

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Please help me figure this out. Just ordered a new computer and want to get my internet fixed before it arrives.

I currently have Cox in San Diego, CA and just did a Speedtest.net which resulted in 20ms ping, 7.57 DL, and 6.99 UL. I have Cox High Speed Internet Preferred. The bill says download speeds up to 50mbps. I have a Linksys E2000 router. My current computer is a HP 600-1120 all-in-one. The internet is wired from the computer to the router.

Why is my internet so slow? Old computer? Old router? The modem from Cox is less than a year old.

Thanks.

Turn off WMM if its on, reflash (or just flash) the firmware and check to see if its current.

If that doesn't work you modem and router might both being acting as a NAT and that can cause issues.

Turn off WMM if its on, reflash (or just flash) the firmware and check to see if its current.

If that doesn't work you modem and router might both being acting as a NAT and that can cause issues.
Which is something that old routers do. Use Google to help you, but go look underneath your router for model numbers. Use the brand and google with that number to identify the router. If you can't figure out with Google how to identify your exact router model, then come tell us what you see, and we'll try to help.

There's a good chance you're just getting shafted on bandwidth. A dispassionate call with a threat to change ISP's if you don't see an immediate and sustained service that fulfills its promised bandwidth quota might be the best medicine. Of course, typically those contracts always use language that says "up to" a certain bandwidth figure. They don't legally obligate themselves to the figure or anything. But if they try to hedge, remind yourself that they're not in a courtroom, they're competing for your money. If they would hide behind clever legalese, then drop their asses and find someone better.

If no one better provides service to your area, well...

turned-on.gif

Last edited:
Turn off wireless if enabled, then plug your computer ethernet cable directly into your modem (not router) and do a speed test.
If your speeds are roughly the same, then contact your ISP. You probably have an outdated modem that needs to be replaced.
If your speeds are vastly different than your router, your router is limiting your connection speed.

Last edited:
Back