Please Critique my Regime-Aiming for 6-8kg weight gain

Now, before jumping in, I will note that the assumptions about lower reps/higher weights building more strength and higher rep/lower weights building more strength endurance have largely been validated. You can still gain strength with light weights/high reps and moderate weight/moderate reps, but strength gains are generally better with heavy, low-rep training.

That quote is about high reps building strength endurance, not hypertrophy!

If you read the article a bit more carefully, you will see that the actual research he presents overall doesn't show a clear picture. Some studies show more hypertrophy from low reps, some from high reps. In many cases the difference is not significant. Overall the literature doesn't seem to come down on one side of the other. This is what he actually says:

1. When looking at the whole body of scientific literature, there’s simply not a very big difference in muscle growth when comparing different rep ranges.

and

Is there a hypertrophy range scientifically?

Maybe, but the overall picture is murky, and any differences would be pretty small.

Later on he kinds of backs off from it, and says that the high reps probably are a bit better for hypertrophy, but not based on the actual scientific standard of evidence.

By the way, articles on BB.com don't really count as sources. Even if they have evidence/citations, with scientific research you have to evaluate the whole literature on a topic, and not just individual papers. As this article shows, in any one literature you can get divergent results so it is easy to support the view you want by just citing papers selectively.

Last edited:
^^ You also have to look past the papers sometimes.

After publishing a study that compared volume equated high vs. low reps (where hypertrophy gains were identical, but the low rep group came out stronger), Schoenfeld commented that his lifters doing the low rep routine were extremely burned out by the end of the 12-week study and were burned out after most sessions. His high rep lifters had a lot more in the tank after every session and weren't burned out by the end of 12 weeks. He inferred that if he had pushed both groups to do their maximum amount of volume, he wouldn't of been surprised to see the high rep group have better hypertrophy in the end and maybe better strength gains.

Lots of the relevant things still get left out of the papers, so doing a bare-bones literature review alone isn't good enough. Seeing what happens first-hand is still irreplaceable.

To go back to the first post... I would think that being strong for your size is an advantage in a weight-class based sport. Adding size for the sake of size seems kinda pointless.

That quote is about high reps building strength endurance, not hypertrophy!

If you read the article a bit more carefully, you will see that the actual research he presents overall doesn't show a clear picture. Some studies show more hypertrophy from low reps, some from high reps. In many cases the difference is not significant. Overall the literature doesn't seem to come down on one side of the other. This is what he actually says:

and

Later on he kinds of backs off from it, and says that the high reps probably are a bit better for hypertrophy, but not based on the actual scientific standard of evidence.

By the way, articles on BB.com don't really count as sources. Even if they have evidence/citations, with scientific research you have to evaluate the whole literature on a topic, and not just individual papers. As this article shows, in any one literature you can get divergent results so it is easy to support the view you want by just citing papers selectively.

Oh ya, you're right on about that quote! My bad.

TBH I've never followed any kind of scientific articles on building strength and size. I just take in all the different advice from people who are where I'd like to be and mesh it all together with my own unique twist :)

For the record, I did Sheiko for 14 months straight without any sort of enhancement.

I just take in all the different advice from people who are where I'd like to be and mesh it all together with my own unique twist :)

Yet you wanted to argue with and nitpick what I was saying?

Legit lol.

Last edited:
For the record, I did Sheiko for 14 months straight without any sort of enhancement.

Yet you wanted to argue with and nitpick what I was saying?

Legit lol.

I'm glad you love Sheiko, I know a lot of people like it a lot and it's a great program. I never said it wasn't. I was just saying there are better programs for OP.

The people who are where I'd like to be are all world class lifters and 'modeling the masters' is one of the most powerful learning methods.

Anyway, I'm out.

Depends on your diet plan. Of course everyone's different, n00b gains would be pushing you through the roof if this would be your first time doing a proper lifting and bulk routine.

Going through a proper lean bulk, you could put on around 10-15lb of quality mass during the first year. The earlier being more realistic while the latter being you with good genetics.

I'll play devils advocate.
Why is it that bad? TS has all the compound movements and the basics of a Starting Strength routine. Doing that small amount of assistance work can't hurt, besides 3x10 on curls / pushdowns isn't going to tax him on the lifts or his BJJ.
I used to do a 5x5 / 531 type routine sticking with only the basic compounds, heavy (nothing higher than 5 reps) and stalled / plateaued for years. I switched things up last November to a slightly more bodybuilding-esque routine (PHUL, PPL) and my main lifts are shooting through the roof with no sign of plateauing anytime soon. I found the assistance exercises and high volume helped tremendously. Also its not interfering with my Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA, etc

In my opinion which is not worth much really, as a beginner looking to gain weight teh energy expended doing the curlz and the like would be much used to gain weight.

I think TS and you are at very different stages of training and where you had been lifting for years and switching it up and going with a higher reps scheme worked for you and thats great. I feel TS woudl be better served doing the main compound lifts and getting out of the gym and eating and resting, the calories expended doing direct arm work could be used for teh gainz.

But in reality it probably wont make a noticable difference. He would probably be better off doing chins/dips, I feel that if you cant do 20 chins/dips you shoudl not do direct arm work. This is just my opinion

I'm glad you love Sheiko, I know a lot of people like it a lot and it's a great program. I never said it wasn't. I was just saying there are better programs for OP.

The people who are where I'd like to be are all world class lifters and 'modeling the masters' is one of the most powerful learning methods.

Anyway, I'm out.

Jim is teh formost authority on all things strength related, DO NOT question ANYTHING he writes. We are fortunate to have such a strong person on our forms. If he implied directly or in directly that Shieko is the best it is. If he implies the Iron Shiek is teh best then he is..... amy furhter questioning of his factual knowledge will result in my hitting the report button.

In my opinion which is not worth much really, as a beginner looking to gain weight teh energy expended doing the curlz and the like would be much used to gain weight.

I think TS and you are at very different stages of training and where you had been lifting for years and switching it up and going with a higher reps scheme worked for you and thats great. I feel TS woudl be better served doing the main compound lifts and getting out of the gym and eating and resting, the calories expended doing direct arm work could be used for teh gainz.

But in reality it probably wont make a noticable difference. He would probably be better off doing chins/dips, I feel that if you cant do 20 chins/dips you shoudl not do direct arm work. This is just my opinion
I guess.
I know I'm at a more advanced stage than TS, but 3x10 on curls / pushdowns isn't going to tax him that much. but yes, I do agree that chin/pulls would be better at this stage for him. I think any assistance would be okay, given that TS completes his main lifts first and foremost and isn't too heavy on volume. Its only 1 exercise with 3 sets. Now if he overloads on volume then thats going to be a bit of an issue.

Jim is teh formost authority on all things strength related, DO NOT question ANYTHING he writes. We are fortunate to have such a strong person on our forms. If he implied directly or in directly that Shieko is the best it is. If he implies the Iron Shiek is teh best then he is..... amy furhter questioning of his factual knowledge will result in my hitting the report button.
Your username doesn't ring a bell at all, but I must have hurt your feelings at some point.

And yeah, not that it's saying much, but I absolutely do know more about getting big and strong than 99.9% of the posters here.

Cocky Balboa ITT

Only a fool would skip curls. It doesn't matter how many powerlifting competitions you win. Without heavily muscled arms you'll never get all the instagram followers.

I feel TS woudl be better served doing the main compound lifts and getting out of the gym and eating and resting, the calories expended doing direct arm work could be used for teh gainz.

I really hope you're not serious, but it sounds like you are.

Only a fool would skip curls. It doesn't matter how many powerlifting competitions you win. Without heavily muscled arms you'll never get all the instagram followers.
Curls for the girls

Everything you've written here makes me sad.

One of the stupidest things I've ever read on here, and that's saying something.

I feel that if you cant do 20 chins/dips you shoudl not do direct arm work. This is just my opinion

I missed this somehow. I just saw it from the other posters who quoted it.

Too much imo.
As soon as you can hit 8-10 reps, its time to add weight to those exercises. Direct arm work can be added whenever TS wants . As I've mentioned its only 1 exercise of 8-10 reps, its not going to break him.

Last edited:
Your username doesn't ring a bell at all, but I must have hurt your feelings at some point.

And yeah, not that it's saying much, but I absolutely do know more about getting big and strong than 99.9% of the posters here.

because your the best. Unless someone is stringer then you, then your real self comes out. the insecure Cratos who has to attack anyone stronger then him. Anyone sytronger then you is on juice or pro hormones. It's sad really that you have this complex. Rubish is still waiting for you to pull 700.

You never hurt my feelings, lol. I genuienly feel sorry for you in a way.

God bless and I wish you the best, and continued training success.

Last edited:
I guess.
I know I'm at a more advanced stage than TS, but 3x10 on curls / pushdowns isn't going to tax him that much. but yes, I do agree that chin/pulls would be better at this stage for him. I think any assistance would be okay, given that TS completes his main lifts first and foremost and isn't too heavy on volume. Its only 1 exercise with 3 sets. Now if he overloads on volume then thats going to be a bit of an issue.

yeah six of one a half dozen of the other, whioch is why I said it probably wont make a real difference. As long as he hits his main lifts and gets plenty to eat he will have teh gainz.

because your the best. Unless someone is stringer then you, then your real self comes out. the insecure Cratos who has to attack anyone stronger then him. Anyone sytronger then you is on juice or pro hormones. It's sad really that you have this complex. Rubish is still waiting for you to pull 700.

Posts like this are legitimately hilarious, as they could not be further from the truth. It's awesome.

Back