Please critique my bag form (boxing)

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by the_winding_way, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

If you're having to box in an opposite stance to avoid inflammation, it's not resolving very well.

And no, posture correctness is not common in modern boxing. Unfortunately neck and shoulder injury jury are.

2. listrahtes

listrahtes Brown Belt

Oh wow I thought you were much younger ;)

the_winding_way, jabelar and Davem10 like this.
  3. shincheckin

shincheckin Brown Belt

look good, more "time in the drivers seat" and you will surely improve your orthodox stance.

the_winding_way likes this.
  4. AnotherOldGuy

AnotherOldGuy Purple Belt

It was a good discovery; learning from sparring is by far the best way to progress. Go back and watch some more Hagler, note how he uses foot movement for defense (ie moving while slipping punches). Same for Mayweather, SRL, SRR, Roberto Duran and just about every other good defensive boxer. With a bit of practice you'll find that moving your feet while punching improves your defense considerably - not only is a moving target harder to hit, but its easier to keep your balance while slipping if your feet are moving (just the way the human body works).

the_winding_way likes this.
  5. Davem10

Davem10 Purple Belt

Surely that's a typo and you mean 27 ?

If I had to guess your age based on watching that video I would have said 19

I can see you being 27 and just looking young though, but 37 ???

Serious anti ageing genetics

jabelar likes this.
  6. jabelar

jabelar Blue Belt

I personally don't think you should train on bags with such light punches. You are literally training your body to tap your opponent instead of hit/hurt them. It is very common (I've done it myself) to sort of think that you either do fast or you do power, but you of course want to train for both. Same with high volume and power, it is not an either-or thing -- you need it combined. Whenever I'm hitting the bag like that my coaches will tell me I should leave and join a boxercise class. Basically, you need to have ill intent even when practicing on the bag -- hurt that bag! Imagine that that bag just raped your mother, then start your practice! I'm not joking -- the bag is your surrogate opponent, not just a prop.

I liked your spirit though, your ability to keep moving, and I liked that you obviously love the idea of being a boxer.

P.S. I also thought your age was about 19, so keep up whatever is keeping you so youthful!

7. the_winding_way

the_winding_way White Belt

From having pronounced symptoms 24/7 to pretty much only having them when I box southpaw, I'd say that in the grand scheme of things, it's resolving well. In any case I'm really analysing my boxing stance ATM.

Sano likes this.
  8. the_winding_way

A bit of an aside, but it's annoying that in a lot of boxing coverage the cameras focus on the knees/hips up. You don't always or often get to see footwork. Also yes, I notice I slip faster if I step with it. If I don't involve a step of some sort, it's slow as shit.

AnotherOldGuy likes this.
  9. the_winding_way

Yeah 37. During my studies of the esoteric arts I ventured into the far east and plundered the elixir of youth after I bested a shaolin monk in unarmed combat.

But seriously, I've been into martial arts since I was a teen so have tried to stay healthy/active/maintain weight, except for this bodybuilding (read:bulking indiscriminately) phase I went through.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Davem10 likes this.
  10. the_winding_way

I partially agree with you, but this was already 8 rounds in and I'd already done my work for the day.