Playstation 4 Official Discussion, v7: PS Now with Rent Streaming & Shareplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
TLDR: PS4 has limited remote connection capabilities.

Here is the short version...

I really don't expect developers to implement or make use of this feature. It cuts into sales.

Don't get me wrong, it is a nice feature. I just think it isn't gonna make a big splash or drive sales.

Sony's in house stuff will probably make the most of this. I'll be shocked if the PS4 version of a game like D3, where this feature would be really cool, uses it.

I really don't expect developers to implement or make use of this feature. It cuts into sales.

Don't get me wrong, it is a nice feature. I just think it isn't gonna make a big splash or drive sales.

Sony's in house stuff will probably make the most of this. I'll be shocked if the PS4 version of a game like D3, where this feature would be really cool, uses it.

I agree with this. I think it's a cool feature, but there arn't that many games coming out these days with "couch co-op", mostly everything is geared at online multiplayer.

I hear what you guys are saying...but I'm looking at this as a buddy free rental feature more so than a couch co-op feature...if no limitations, it's like being able to borrow a game from anyone of your psn friends that have playstation plus...

I hear what you guys are saying...but I'm looking at this as a buddy free rental feature more so than a couch co-op feature...if no limitations, it's like being able to borrow a game from anyone of your psn friends that have playstation plus...

That's what I was originally hoping for, but after reading the statement again if sounds only co-op style games like Knack and Lego type games. More to be revealed.

That's what I was originally hoping for, but after reading the statement again if sounds only co-op style games like Knack and Lego type games. More to be revealed.

I hope you're wrong lol...because that would suck...

Last edited:

Found some better details...

With Share Play, you can even jump into a game to assist a friend. For example, if there is part of a game that you can

It is 100% possible and 90% plausible that what Sony is designing is outside of the domain of game developers. Meaning, the game only sees 2 controllers plugged in as if it was local co-op.

They are mimicking the couch co-op experience with friends. So if the game is co-op like Knack, or FIFA, or NHL, or any game that you can play 2 players with locally, you can play that local mode through 'Share Play'. There's also the whole 'take control of your friends game' to help them finish a section, which they say is like handing the controller to your buddy on the couch.

This has been a huge selling point for Sony and the PS4, and based on how the acquired Gaikai streaming works I would be amazed if it comes out and ends up being terribly crippled.

It is 100% possible and 90% plausible that what Sony is designing is outside of the domain of game developers.

This had occurred to me.

I don't think it really comes up anymore but most game studios and publisher are usually in some sort of contract regarding rights to publish games on proprietary hardware.

It very well may be in the contract Sony offers to these companies, that they can't work around this feature or subvert it by limiting access to content.

I'm interested in how it turns out to say the least as this is a hardware feature.

The Tomorrow Children is really interesting. I cant wait to hear more.

It is a cool concept , there are alot of times my friends will get games and I want to try them before I buy them. I have a friend that is a video game reviewer and he gets games up to two weeks early sometimes. They said that it the feature is built into the system so the developer does not need to do anything. So actually it is like couch Co-Op opposed to online play where you only have access to whatever modes are online.

I assumed there was going to be some sort of stipulation that wouldn't just let you play through an entire game via SharePlay, since that just makes sense. An hour is a pretty decent amount of time.

I figured it would be restrictive but, damn, sixty minutes? Sheesh..

Yeah.. I'm hoping it's 60 minutes per friend per day. That would still suck a lot, IMO, but wouldn't be as terrible as it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back