Social [Plastic Waste] Startup turns trash into construction-grade building blocks

I've been telling people for a long time that the current recycling system is a con job. Something about it just didn't add up.

Well, I wouldn't call it a con job because the collected recyclables are still getting recycled somewhere, but it's glaringly obvious now that most "recycling centers" are simply middle-men in the business of collecting and reselling recyclables.

Do a quick comparison between the ever-increasing tonnage of trash collected each month in your city to the ever-decreasing number of recycling centers near you and it becomes obvious that somewhere between one-third to two-third of them went somewhere else.

We have a real crisis over here right now, with mountains of recyclable paper and plastics piling up, so I'd imagine every single country on that "least polluting" list on Page 1 are scrambling like headless chickens as well.

California's recycling crisis
By: Kody Leibowitz | May 17, 2018

California is known as a green state, but you may be surprised to learn this environmentally conscious state is facing a major crisis with its recyclables.

"The last 10 or 15 years has been stable. But this is a crisis right now," said Louie Pellegrini Jr., president of Peninsula Sanitary Service.

Parked steps from the State Capitol sits a three-dimensional, 26-ton display of what some are calling California's impending crisis.

Old phone books, boxes of cat food, and a heap of newspapers.

"It's our mess, it's all of California's mess," said Chisty Pestoni Abreu.

Those in the Golden State's recycling industry say it's a mess with nowhere to go.

"There's a potential in the near future that after 30 years of effort and education and participation by residents that this material could end up in a landfill. And that's a shame," said Pellegrini.

Pellegrini says exporting prices began plummeting in recent months.

In December, he says they could ship recycled paper to China for $100 per ton.

Now, he says the price has dropped to negative $6 a ton.

According to the state, a third of all recyclables in California is exported -- 62 percent of that to China.

Earlier this year, China imposed import restrictions, and will not accept contaminated recyclables.

http://www.kron4.com/news/california/california-s-recycling-crisis/1183883236

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't call it a con job because the collected recyclables are still getting recycled somewhere, but it's glaringly obvious now that most "recycling centers" are simply middle-men in the business of collecting and reselling recyclables.

Do a quick comparison between the ever-increasing tonnage of trash collected each month in your city to the ever-decreasing number of recycling centers near you and it becomes obvious that somewhere between one-third to two-third of them went somewhere else.

We have a real crisis over here right now, with mountains of paper and plastic piling up:

California's recycling crisis
By: Kody Leibowitz | May 17, 2018

California is known as a green state, but you may be surprised to learn this environmentally conscious state is facing a major crisis with its recyclables.

"The last 10 or 15 years has been stable. But this is a crisis right now," said Louie Pellegrini Jr., president of Peninsula Sanitary Service.

Parked steps from the State Capitol sits a three-dimensional, 26-ton display of what some are calling California's impending crisis.

Old phone books, boxes of cat food, and a heap of newspapers.

"It's our mess, it's all of California's mess," said Chisty Pestoni Abreu.

Those in the Golden State's recycling industry say it's a mess with nowhere to go.

"There's a potential in the near future that after 30 years of effort and education and participation by residents that this material could end up in a landfill. And that's a shame," said Pellegrini.

Pellegrini says exporting prices began plummeting in recent months.

In December, he says they could ship recycled paper to China for $100 per ton.

Now, he says the price has dropped to negative $6 a ton.

According to the state, a third of all recyclables in California is exported -- 62 percent of that to China.

Earlier this year, China imposed import restrictions, and will not accept contaminated recyclables.

http://www.kron4.com/news/california/california-s-recycling-crisis/1183883236

I wonder how this will ultimately affect planned obsolescence.

As long as there are alternatives...we should all be in favor.

So currently we have paper, metal, silicone, glass and even bamboo..

Thinking of resteraunts/fast food.

Paper is good but shouldn't be used with hot liquids or fast food lid with the 'star' design, apparently.9

Metal. Re used straw. No thanks.

Silicone.. Re used. Yuck

Glass.. Re used. Nope

Bamboo. I imagine you would need to use a lot of water to grow the plant. Seems counter productive. More niche than reality.

Paper straws will be the norm in 10 years.

I don't see anyone shiting on the idea. There's still hope for us, folks

Last edited:
You raise the price of the straw and how does that effect how it gets disposed? The straw still gets thrown in the garbage with the rest of the garbage.

The money raised pays for its recycling. It also helps cleaner products be more competitive.

Currently private companies create the rubbish but take no part in its disposal.

I see nothing wrong with this.
I agree, too much wrapping is plastic, and light plastic easily gets out of trash cans or bags, and is easy to litter. Most of the liter I see on a daily basis, is basically plastic.

The money raised pays for its recycling. It also helps cleaner products be more competitive.

Currently private companies create the rubbish but take no part in its disposal.

Recycling is getting destroyed ITT. Its a straw, not a pacemaker. We can live without them.

Paper is good but shouldn't be used with hot liquids or fast food lid with the 'star' design, apparently.9

Silicone.. Re used. Yuck

Glass.. Re used. Nope

Bamboo. I imagine you would need to use a lot of water to grow the plant. Seems counter productive. More niche than reality.

What is your objection to metal straws? I kind of like them.

This is a good call on the EUs part. Maybe instead of banning plastic straws they should incentivize companies to produce eco friendly perishable items akin to the straw and other deliterious plastic shit.

Japan is an entirely different animal when it comes to waste management. Bringing up the Japanese lifestyle is just gonna put everyone else in shame.

You know how most countries in the West are aiming to recycle 25% of their plastic waste annually? Japan's plastic recycling/reuse rate is already at 84%, making them #1 in the world BY FAR.

Here's the latest report from their national plastic recycling program, if you want to learn more about the breakdown by categories:
http://www.pwmi.or.jp/ei/index.htm

Oh, and they're also reusing 98% of their paper and 96% of their glass products.

When you're a super high-tech society living on a mountainous island with a solutely no precious space for landfills, you can either ship all your trash off to some third-world countries and make it their problem, or you can decide to take recycling seriously.

Took it seriously, they did.

With the kind of extraordinary numbers from the Japanese recycling programs, I think they've earned their rights to package their food (or any other products) however the hell they want, if most of it are recycled materials that will be recycled by again and again by them anyway.

Oldie but goodie from 2011 (though it must be point out that once Britain and Europe ships a cargo of recyclable waste to China, that counts towards their own "recycling rate" as far as they're concerned):

Japan streets ahead in global plastic recycling race
At 77%, country's plastic recycling rate is about twice that of the UK, and well above the 20% figure for the US
By Justin McCurry in Tokyo | Thu 29 Dec 2011​

Plastic-waste-at-the-Tsur-007.jpg

Japan is one of the most successful countries in the world for recycling plastics. In 2010, 77% of plastic waste was recycled, up from 73% in 2006 and 39% in 1996, according to the nation's Plastic Waste Management Institute.

The country has passed several recycling laws to address the disposal and treatment of plastic waste since 1997, when businesses and consumers were obliged to separate plastic waste for the first time.

That measure, along with better awareness off the benefits of separating out plastic, is what has had the impact.

The list of plastic items that can be recycled has grown to include boxes and cases, wrappings, cups and containers, plates and trays, tube-shaped containers, lids and caps. Most is processed together, with plastic bottles and other containers treated separately.

In 2006, according to the institute, Japan recycled 2.1m tonnes of plastic waste, while 4.8m tonnes undergoes so-called "thermal recycling" which includes conversion into useful chemicals and burning to generate energy.

The number and types of plastic waste separation differ among municipalities, but most households are required to separate plastic wrappers and packages from polyethylene terephthalate [PET] bottles, whose labels must be torn off before they are thrown away.

The law was tightened amid a rise in the amount of waste generated by Japan's 127 million people, and a shortage of landfill space.

Household items such as food wrappers and PET bottle labels are clearly marked to indicate they need to be treated as plastic waste. The items are usually collected for free, on different days from regular kitchen waste.

At 77%, Japan's plastic recycling rate is about twice that of the UK, and well above the 20% figure for the US, which still depends largely on landfill, according to institute spokesman Takushi Kamiya. One major driver has been the lack of space for landfill close to crowded and sprawling metropolitan areas.

"Japan has been able to make progress in plastic recycling because waste-processing agencies have won the support of manufacturers," he said.

Japan recycled 72% of PET bottles in 2010, compared with 48% in Europe and 29% in the US.

The recycled material is used in textiles, sheeting, industrial materials and household items such as egg boxes. Large quantities are shipped to China, Hong Kong and other parts of Asia, where it is used to make toys and games.

New technology is helping raise the PET-bottle recycling rate. The food company Ajinomoto recently unveiled a plastic bottle made entirely from recycled PET. The firm expects to use 4,500 tonnes of recycled PET in its drink bottles every year.

Japan's plastic recycling operation would be easier if manufacturers reduced the amount of wrapping they use, said Kevin Carroll, representative director of EA International, an environmental and engineering risk management consultancy in Tokyo.

"Japan differs from other countries in that it tends to overwrap," Carroll said. "You buy a bento boxed lunch and it comes in a plastic box with a lid, and then it's put into a plastic bag. Lots of other foodstuffs are the same.

"There's a tremendous amount of plastic around. The real problem is with household plastic, a lot of which gets burned or buried. The amounts involved are phenomenal."

Kamiya agrees that Japan needs to address the 27% of plastic waste that is simply incinerated or buried in increasingly scarce landfill sites.

"We are looking at ways to deal with what's left over, but it's difficult to imagine at this stage that we'll get the recycling rate to 100%," he said. "But I think we do very well compared with other countries."

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2011/dec/29/japan-leads-field-plastic-recycling
"streets ahead"????? who wrote that pierce Hawthorne? Impressive stuff from the Japanese though

Recycling is getting destroyed ITT. Its a straw, not a pacemaker. We can live without them.

I hate the saying "getting destroyed" as it's more over used than the word awesome.

But recycling still works. All that has changed is China doesn't want to continue doing it for other countries.

I prefer things to cost their true price, so if something creates a negative the user pays not the public.

Went to a McDonalds yesterday. No straws. Just a sign "PLEASE ASK FOR STRAWS AT THE COUNTER".

Cba at all.
Plastics lids though? What about driving to get a single meal when you could have driven to the market and bought food for the whole week? Please people, think before you do. Our planet is screaming.

I hate the saying "getting destroyed" as it's more over used than the word awesome.

But recycling still works. All that has changed is China doesn't want to continue doing it for other countries.

I prefer things to cost their true price, so if something creates a negative the user pays not the public.
"getting destroyed" getting destroyed itt

It's incredible what we do to our environment.

enhanced-24034-1460711481-10.jpg

Fuckin LOL.

I saw once a picture from mini-USA (Canada) of an orange peeled and sealed in plastic. Fucking stupid and decadent fucks.

Anyways I think it's a good thing to ban plastic bags and straws. Plastic waste is a huge issue already and the population is rising.

Where I live (a rich German city) garbage cans are often full so people leave plastic trash next to it.

It can really be avoided and I am all in favour of a ban.

And no, Murrcans, this is not tyranny (FFS), it's taking necessary measures.

Silicone.. Re used. Yuck

Glass.. Re used. Nope

Here is an idea.

How about everyone carry their own fork, spoon, and knife with them?

I keep a set in my work bag.

Don't leave home without this bad boy.

spatula-spreader.jpg

Back