Plantar fasciitis

• Thread starter Deleted member 409801
  • Start date
Seems these days people are always getting foot injuries. Must be the terrain.

I'm wondering what footwear you used for your 43 mile hike.

Brand/Model? Original insoles/custom/off the shelf aftermarket? Did they get any breaking in? Socks (type/one pair/two pair)?

I had intended to wear a pair of Kurus, they are like and athletic/orthopedic hybrid , buy decided they were not sufficiently broken in since id ou had them a few days. I ended up wearing my normal running shoes which are Saucony guides. I gave up hiking boots years ago , and have had good luck with trail running shoes.

I had it really bad when I gained like 60lbs. It feels like razor blades on your soles. It's the worst pain I have ever had. Thank God I lost weight and got rid of it. Inserts are the way to go.

Anybody ever deal with this annoying problem ? I've managed to make it through training for and running multiple marathons , 100 mile hikes ECT ECT in the past with no foot issues.

About 6 months ago , I decided to get back on a regular running regimen , and holy shit , I guess my foot couldn't take the stress of schlepping an extra 20 lbs of tub over my historic " fit " weight ( I was 220 lb 6 months ago , back to slightly over 200 now ). I've tried the night boot , stretching it , ice , resting for a week , I even resorted to a steroid shot a few weeks ago because I've got a long hike coming up an figured itd be impossible to do with the way it was. Shot was great at alleviating the pain , but its not a " cure " and just temporarily reduces the inflammation , its slowly coming back despite my efforts at rehab.

Anyone have any useful advice to help get over this condition?

My wife uses these.

http://guafit.com

You should be going barefoot and using a balance board.

Seems these days people are always getting foot injuries. Must be the terrain.

Lots of fat people these days. If I hadn't been 20lbs too heavy when I started training seriously again I doubt I would've had an issue.

Not well conditioned + too heavy + sudden/dramatic increase in activity = recipe to get hurt

I had this problem last year. Probably was caused by years of wearing uncomfortable dress dress shoes for work, combined with being flat footed..

Was fixed by orthotics which give arch support. My insurance didn't cover custom orthotics so my foot doctor gave me non-custom ones for around $50 which did the job just fine.

The same ones she sold me (Sport ZX) are also sold online at this site (scroll down the page a little):

http://www.footcustomorthotics.com/product/SZX-0001_SPORT-ZX-Semi-Rigid

Anybody ever deal with this annoying problem ? I've managed to make it through training for and running multiple marathons , 100 mile hikes ECT ECT in the past with no foot issues.

About 6 months ago , I decided to get back on a regular running regimen , and holy shit , I guess my foot couldn't take the stress of schlepping an extra 20 lbs of tub over my historic " fit " weight ( I was 220 lb 6 months ago , back to slightly over 200 now ). I've tried the night boot , stretching it , ice , resting for a week , I even resorted to a steroid shot a few weeks ago because I've got a long hike coming up an figured itd be impossible to do with the way it was. Shot was great at alleviating the pain , but its not a " cure " and just temporarily reduces the inflammation , its slowly coming back despite my efforts at rehab.

Yeah I've had it really bad where it cracked. Here is what saved me....

1. Right when you wake up before letting foot hit ground use a water bottle and massage bottom of foot.
2. Buy good quality orthopedic socks.
3. Tennis and massage balls for feet (pressure point ones as well)
4. The right shoes ( Asics Gel Kayano worked best for me)
5. Soaking my feet in epsom salt and ice baths.
6. Avoid dead-lifts while doing treatment...

I'll second some of these too. I dealt with this shit for years.

A couples comments from Krixes notes above

1) You know your foot is bad when you take first step out of bed and pain shoots up your feet. Sucks
2) I use compression socks when running and it seems to help both my feet and calf muscles.
3) I also stretch on stairs and roll feet on small foam roller.
4) Just wear quality shoes all the fucking time. No sandals, flip flops or walking barefoot. Back when I was bad, if I wore the wrong shoes, the pain would almost flair up instantaneously. Then I'd be fucked for the rest of the day.
5) Applying cold always seem to help on bad days.
6) No Comment about deadlifts. Never seemed to affect me. My issues were always from long days walking and being on my feet.

After dealing with this shit for years, I think the one thing that helped was losing weight. I was overweight and I know that was a leading contributor. When I dropped the weight, most of my foot problems disappeared, along with just feeling better all around.

To be honest, Doctors don't seem to help much. They just treat the symptoms. I flailed with them for years with little to no improvement.

it may just be me, but it amazes me that more people don't bike, instead of running. running is terrible on your feet and joints. i've been bike-riding about eighty miles almost every weekend for years, and i've never had issues with my feet or any other part of my body. i guess the only drawback, is that it takes more time to lose calories on a bicycle than it does when you run. but the extra time to me is worth it, over the unfortunate issues you are currently struggling with.

it may just be me, but it amazes me that more people don't bike, instead of running. running is terrible on your feet and joints. i've been bike-riding about eighty miles almost every weekend for years, and i've never had issues with my feet or any other part of my body. i guess the only drawback, is that it takes more time to lose calories on a bicycle than it does when you run. but the extra time to me is worth it, over the unfortunate issues you are currently struggling with.

My OP is a few months old, my issue has resolved itself . I've put in a lot of miles over the years and that was the first overuse injury I've had , outside of shin splints as a tender footed running noob years ago.

I can appreciate the bike , and I do cross train a decent amount by riding. Like you alluded to though , its hard to beat running for burning fat , I also find the level of fitness you can attain to be higher with a well designed and implemented running plan.

1) You know your foot is bad when you take first step out of bed and pain shoots up your feet. Sucks
2) I use compression socks when running and it seems to help both my feet and calf muscles.
4) Just wear quality shoes all the fucking time. No sandals, flip flops or walking barefoot. Back when I was bad, if I wore the wrong shoes, the pain would almost flair up instantaneously. Then I'd be fucked for the rest of the day.
6) No Comment about deadlifts. Never seemed to affect me. My issues were always from long days walking and being on my feet.

After dealing with this shit for years, I think the one thing that helped was losing weight. I was overweight and I know that was a leading contributor. When I dropped the weight, most of my foot problems disappeared, along with just feeling better all around.

To be honest, Doctors don't seem to help much. They just treat the symptoms. I flailed with them for years with little to no improvement.

Extra weight is for sure the primary culprit imo.

I just bought some Tommy Copper socks and I love them. They are great for your feet and lower legs, I wish I would have bought some earlier. I agree with weight and doctor part, all they do is basically treat it not fix it.

Amputation with prosthetic replacement, a la Oscar Pistorius. Imagine the possibilities.

Amputation with prosthetic replacement, a la Oscar Pistorius. Imagine the possibilities.

Those things really are something. I saw a double below the knee amputee in line at the bank the other day , and if he hadn't had shorts on you'd have never known , gate and posture was perfect.

My OP is a few months old, my issue has resolved itself . I've put in a lot of miles over the years and that was the first overuse injury I've had , outside of shin splints as a tender footed running noob years ago.

I can appreciate the bike , and I do cross train a decent amount by riding. Like you alluded to though , its hard to beat running for burning fat , I also find the level of fitness you can attain to be higher with a well designed and implemented running plan.

ah, gotcha. i never check dates on posts lol. yeah, i'm sure you get a better overall workout if you run, instead of biking. well, to each their own.

For those who had this, has orthotics permanently healed your condition or does it simply reduce pain?
Regular massaging and stretching has reduced pain to the point it doesn't prevent me from doing anything, but the pain is still always there. I'd like to done with it for good. I developed it in the Army and made it worse with boxing training right after. A guy on youtube says he cured himself of it by massaging himself but it feels very difficult to consistently massage myself like that though.
Once I got a professional massage for my foot and calves and the pain was almost completely gone for a couple of days before it came back.

Got it. I assume from work or masturbation. Wasn't right for about 8 months but kept working(and masturbating). Went through a bunch of shit my idiot podiatrist gave me(it's free no biggie). Finally started using barefoot shoes and 4E width boots. Seems to be fine now. Consuming coffee and alcohol made things worse I don't suggest it if you deal with chronic pain. If you believe the pain will never go away then fuck it get smashed.

I've had to deal with this for about 8 years now. First, see a chiropodist get properly cast custom orthotics, not off the shelf snake oil ones. Second, if you are even slightly over weight, lose weight. Third, ultrasound therapy. Fouth, stretch like a mother fucker.

Back