Planning a trip to California

San Diego is the GOAT city.
Beaches, ladies, food, good vibes.

And then there's of course LA/Hollywood to get the full tourist package

X2 on San Diego it's a must for the beaches food and lifestyle also very dog friendly.

We want to go in October, and we're planning on going to Yosemite national park, big sur and maybe a few other spots.

Probably going to book an Air BnB.

So i'm looking for cool destination spots (cities, restaurants, beaches, etc.)

Places that are dog friendly?

Looof Hippodrome in Santa Monica. I was there last year and had a great time. There's an old school carousel and soda fountain inside.

LooffHippodrome.jpg

Carmel By The Sea is not only totally beautiful but is known as one of the most dog friendly towns in America. It's not too far from Big Sur. San Francisco is a wonderful city and worth checking out. If you get there I recommend the tour of Alcatraz, it's really awesome! Lake Tahoe is pretty incredible but starting to get a little cold in October.

Carmel By The Sea is not only totally beautiful but is known as one of the most dog friendly towns in America. It's not too far from Big Sur. San Francisco is a wonderful city and worth checking out. If you get there I recommend the tour of Alcatraz, it's really awesome! Lake Tahoe is pretty incredible but starting to get a little cold in October.
We don't mind the cold at all, our last vacation was in Colorado.

I've been to San diego before, so we're trying to stay up north by most of these places. Will definitely be staying in San Francisco for a few days.

Looof Hippodrome in Santa Monica. I was there last year and had a great time. There's an old school carousel and soda fountain inside.

LooffHippodrome.jpg

is that on or near the pier? I think I saw it.

We want to go in October, and we're planning on going to Yosemite national park, big sur and maybe a few other spots.

Probably going to book an Air BnB.

So i'm looking for cool destination spots (cities, restaurants, beaches, etc.)

Places that are dog friendly?

go to my city of san francisco. check out the wine country in napa. go to marin and trek around muir woods.

Depends on your priorities and who you're traveling with. 2 weeks is a decent chunk of time in California. Where do you plan to start from?

If I started from lets say San Diego. I would spend maybe 2 days in SD and La Jolla. Drive up to LA county for a few days. Drive the coast and hit up all the main stops, maybe even Hearst Castle as someone else mentioned. Then to Big Sur, Monterey, Carmel, Santa Cruz. Then go up more to San Francisco. Spend a few days there. You could drive up further on the coast if you want and cut towards Lassen area, although you may not have enough time to do so. Instead maybe from SF area drive up to Lake Tahoe. Spend a day there. Then head to the Eastern Sierra's, see Mono Lake, Mammoth Lakes, ect, which you can also cut into Yosemite. Or you can skip Tahoe and go to Yosemite and then cut into the Eastern Sierra's. You can keep drive Hwy 395 down south and make whatever stops you want, maybe even death valley if time/weather permits. You can then end up back to so-cal assuming you started there. You could even go to Vegas if you want.

Basically that's the loop I would do to have a nice experience of California's nature while still stopping at the bigger cities. Of course how much you can do there is time limited and hiking intensity. You could easily spend 2 weeks along the coast and big cities or 2 weeks in the Eastern Sierra's including Death Valley, Yosemite.

Check out Hearst Castle in San Simeon

yeah, it's an awesome place. place is so big, that you have to choose between one of two tours. the view from up there towards the pacific ocean is maybe the greatest sunset i've ever seen.

I heard that song in a movie before.

hey, @v.kevin any recommendations? Your location says visalia, so i was wondering if you've been in these areas.

Might want to check out Kings Canyon National Park. The giant sequoias are pretty awesome.
Definitely check out Monterey/Carmel/Pacific Grove and do the 17 mile drive.

Do you research on where to stay in San Francisco. It has become a cesspool of homelessness and crime in a lot of areas.

We don't mind the cold at all, our last vacation was in Colorado.

I've been to San diego before, so we're trying to stay up north by most of these places. Will definitely be staying in San Francisco for a few days.
San Fran's fun. Lots of acid there.

Make sure to wear shoes with good tough soles though, unless you want Hep-C.

Last edited:
I live in the Bay Area. San Francisco Bay Area. Although I do live in the East Bay over the Oakland Hills. What are you looking to do? There are a million things to do depending on your preferences. Someone mention Alcatraz and I agree. Get the audio tour and it's really creepy and amazing. Napa is cool but expensive and touristy. I prefer Sonoma Valley. TONS of amazing breweries in the area. Pacifica is pretty cool. Take a sweatshirt......the area is always chilly unless you go to East or South Bay. Ask more or hit me up if you want specific things

San Fran is overrated and stupid expensive. Go to Monterey instead

Back