pillars of eternity

Beat the game a couple days ago and I am having serious withdrawals lol. Tempted to play it again on the hardest difficulty, but I don't want to burn out before the expansions. One of the best games I've played in many years.

Im a little ways into chapter 3 and still having a lot of fun. Best rpg ive played since BG 2, just so well designed.

Beat the game a couple days ago and I am having serious withdrawals lol. Tempted to play it again on the hardest difficulty, but I don't want to burn out before the expansions. One of the best games I've played in many years.

Ive been playing it a lot, I think I just hit level 8 last night with my Barbarian. He is getting pretty good but I think he would have been better as a dual wield instead of 2handed weapon guy.

<two handed slow weapons are the way to go, due to the way DR and accuracy works. the talents that slow attacks and bypass DR or add accuracy are must haves. you can check out the math on the obsidian forums. Which i avoided until i beat the game. One of the first games in years where I purposely avoided any online information. It's been fun.

I just finished the game last night on hard and enjoyed it for the most part. Cleared to the 9th level of the Below before I continued the campaign so it was pretty much easy for the rest of the game with exception of the end boss, the boss below and the temple hylea boss.

Mained a barbarian, with aloth, a fighter, a ranger, a priest, and a second wizard.
Skipped and skimmed on quests and actually got to suns shadow with my main and aloth at lvl 9 and my party at lvl 8.

Felt like I was banging my head against the wall so I bailed out on the last boss and went back and completed all the quests got my party to 12, recruited a lvl 11 druid and a cipher got them to 12 doing the remaining gods quests and the bounty quests just to see how they played for a potential path of the damned run.The barbarian seemed okay then towards the end when i figured out I was low on accuracy and decided to bump it I really started becoming a boss. With war paint, some dragon meat and the priest might buff I landed some 100+ hits.

Finished the game with Barb (me), fighter, ranger, priest, cipher, wizard as my main build.

I really enjoyed my rangers pet as an offtank, used the bear otherwise i woulda of dropped the ranger. I think I might main a druid next time and drop the barb for a path of the damned run.

I fought ONE spore in Anslog's Compass and it almost rekt Eder. Thankfully I got the item I needed to complete the quest that brought me there. Haven't done much gaming lately, other than hopping in TF2 and modding Skyrim all over again.

Man, hardcore is some dumb bullshit. These rogues in the woods run fast as hell, and the bears!!!

Ima stick to quests on my third try.

Yeah, fuck this game. I reset it, built a big party back up, did every quest between me and the last thing that killed a character of mine, snuck up on it and alpha struck one guy, who didn't die. Somehow, my whole party took mass damage. Apparently, I missed some shit and with no way to tell how strong someone is by looking at him, this is apparently a hard core game where the right method is to memorize the maps before going to it.

Yeah, fuck this game. I reset it, built a big party back up, did every quest between me and the last thing that killed a character of mine, snuck up on it and alpha struck one guy, who didn't die. Somehow, my whole party took mass damage. Apparently, I missed some shit and with no way to tell how strong someone is by looking at him, this is apparently a hard core game where the right method is to memorize the maps before going to it.

Yeah I have no clue how to play this game. The tutorials on YouTube didn't do a good job of explaining what I should be doing. it seems to have a steep learning curve, especially when the first enemies you encounter can slaughter you before you blink.

So enemies (and you) have 4 types of defense: deflection (melee), fortitude (poison and stuff), reflex (AoE), and will (mental).

When you first fight an enemy, you have little to no info about their defenses, but as you fight them, you get that info.

Long story short, choose attacks that exploit their lowest defense category.

E.g. if you're fighting a tank with high deflection but low will, try a mental attack. If you're fighting a caster, he probably has low deflection, so send a tank to chop him to bits.

As a general rule of thumb, try to put your tanks in front and your squishies in back. If you can, choose a location to fight where you can bottleneck the front line to prevent enemies from flanking you and getting to your squishies.

The in-game tutorials leave a bit to be desired. It definitely helps to have played an Infinity Engine cRPG before (which have an even more convoluted ruleset).

Last edited:
Yeah I have no clue how to play this game. The tutorials on YouTube didn't do a good job of explaining what I should be doing. it seems to have a steep learning curve, especially when the first enemies you encounter can slaughter you before you blink.

This post made me feel old.

haha. why is that? I guess I am getting older.

More then likely a rant about the golden era of gaming pre-internet and gamerfaq

He's going to bring up the fact that back in the day him and his friends actually called the mortal kombat tip phone number to learn fatalities. 1.99 per minute well spent.

Or how he used to shell out 15$ for the prima guide to the original Diablo and other games.

Or if he's really feeling froggy he'll regale you of the time his friend pirated the original doom on 5 floppy disks.

But a guy who does that must be a douche so he wouldn't do that but i sure as hell did.

:)

More then likely a rant about the golden era of gaming pre-internet and gamerfaq

He's going to bring up the fact that back in the day him and his friends actually called the mortal kombat tip phone number to learn fatalities. 1.99 per minute well spent.

Or how he used to shell out 15$ for the prima guide to the original Diablo and other games.

Or if he's really feeling froggy he'll regale you of the time his friend pirated the original doom on 5 floppy disks.

But a guy who does that must be a douche so he wouldn't do that but i sure as hell did.

:)

Oh I am definitely old enough to remember those days. But now with a wife and kids, I don't have the luxury of wasting 80hrs looking for a dungeon key that was in some obscure hidden closet, so I do use YT to look up quick start guides.

Oh I am definitely old enough to remember those days. But now with a wife and kids, I don't have the luxury of wasting 80hrs looking for a dungeon key that was in some obscure hidden closet, so I do use YT to look up quick start guides.

I do the same thing too honestly. I'd say Pillars, RE and fallout are the few games I haven't done that in recent years.

In the past few years I've usually been at the forefront of mmo's so I still enjoy the thrill of "firsts" without a helping hand from the internet.

Honestly some games are just designed horribly so a quick look isn't a big deal imo. Instead of logically making sense its a cheap trick that wins the day for most new games even if they are designed around old school concepts.

There's definitely a line between designing a challenging game and coding a boss thats just tiresome due to one or two minor quirks.

I take it all back. I'm still in hard core, but I figured out what you are suppose to do.

I picked up every last piece of equipment, flower and trash I find on the road and sell it at the inn. This let me assemble a party of 6 before I did any side quests (or shortly after). The fact that you get to pick your team specifically meant I had the luxury of building a team with attacks that target all different defenses.

Add onto that the supreme meat shield I put up front that gives me time to see what attack I need, and I'm good to go.

It has been pretty easy the last couple hours.

Still, picking up everything. Sooooo old school.

So, has anyone bought The White March yet? I haven't had the chance to test patch 2.0 yet but the notes look very nice.

So, has anyone bought The White March yet? I haven't had the chance to test patch 2.0 yet but the notes look very nice.

I was going to until I saw it was part 1 of 2. I'll just wait until the whole thing is out, I don't like stopping in the middle of games with big stories like that

I've got it, but have very little to say since i'm only like 3 mobs in and I'm trying to remember wtf I'm doing.

Back