Pick one fighter from the history of MMA with current MMA training....

Imagine Rampage with a BJJ game.
Was BJJ ever really his nemesis? he powerbombed Arona through the ring,and didnt get submitted all that much in his prime. His problems were cardio,motivation,and stubbornly refusing to check leg kicks.

Was BJJ ever really his nemesis? he powerbombed Arona through the ring,and didnt get submitted all that much in his prime. His problems were cardio,motivation,and stubbornly refusing to check leg kicks.

He could have heel hooked him on the way down, similar to the Mighty Mouse Armbar.

Fedor said Aleks was a better athlete than he was and lazy AF.
Well,the sky was the limit. He really took it to Barnett,and only way Barnett could win was to constantly come forward,even if he had to eat hits,Diego Sanchez style,until Alex couldnt take the pressure anymore,tired his ass out. Thats experience for ya.

I think Jose Junior probably would've had the most natural potential. Very difficult question to answer though, because there is a handful of guys. I just know Fedor wouldn't be unstoppable like people think he is/would be. LOL

When training improved, Fedor went down, not up.

Just think of what Ernesto Hoost could have done if he had modern day MMA training

Just think of what Ernesto Hoost could have done if he had modern day MMA training

Again,just because they have the training,doesnt mean they can apply it very well,or even at all.

Basically just taking any fighter who is good at one thing and wishing they were good at everything and nigh unstoppable is just a boring thread imo. Basically just pick a bunch of one dimensional fighters. And most of these were one dimensional by choice.

I think Jose Junior probably would've had the most natural potential. Very difficult question to answer though, because there is a handful of guys. I just know Fedor wouldn't be unstoppable like people think he is/would be. LOL

When training improved, Fedor went down, not up.
james3.gif

What the fuck is you talkin about son?

better training, larger camps, more sparring partners, more science on when to peak, when to take a day off.

Fighters and coaches that learned from the mistakes of the previous generation, what works, what doesn't.

New moves, oblique kick to keep distance for example.

Its an evolution as the fight game evolves.

4v5ngg.gif
BJ Penn was as good as he ever needed to be with his skillset. Motivation was his enemy. Young BJ runs through most of the LWs of today easily.

better training, larger camps, more sparring partners, more science on when to peak, when to take a day off.

Fighters and coaches that learned from the mistakes of the previous generation, what works, what doesn't.

Oh please,people just train the way they feel like training. What works for them,and their fighters. There is no real right way. Fedor's training worked for him. If he trained anywhere else,he wouldnt have been the fucking GOAT. His style was completley unorthodox. You cant change him into a normal fighter,and put him through run of the mill generic training that some experts said is the way to do it...that would be missing the whole point.

Oh please,people just train the way they feel like training. What works for them,and their fighters. There is no real right way. Fedor's training worked for him. If he trained anywhere else,he wouldnt have been the fucking GOAT. His style was completley unorthodox. You cant change him into a normal fighter,and put him through run of the mill generic training that some experts said is the way to do it...that would be missing the whole point.

I'm not talking about changing his fighting style, I'm talking about better sparring partners and training to adapt to the game.

Ronda was fine in the early days of WMMA until the sport started evolving fast. Fighters realized you don't run into a Judo champ like an idiot. People started training footwork and avoiding the clinch. Before you knew it Ronda was a can a year later. Someone who looked unbeatable was a joke a year later.

Fedor did good until he didn't do good, then it showed training with cans in Russia was not the best way to prepare. Especially considering he was slowing down.

Look at a guy like Mark hunt now compared to his pride days. He's so much better now even as old and brain damaged as is he is, all because of ATT.

Or Werdum, the moment he trained at Kings MMA he was a monster.

Coaches now are smarter and can prepare fighters better than before.

New moves, oblique kick to keep distance for example.

You don't think Olympic medalist competing in sports with FAR larger pools of competitors already have this figured out. While I agree that a young Yoshida would have been a beast, there isn't really any advances in technique or training from then until now that would have been much benefit.

Back