Pic.: Okami and OSP by side

took the words out of my mouth. did he get a usada exemption for this fight? i thought a former ufc fighter had to be in the testing pool for 6 months before fighting in the ufc again.
Maybe because he didn't retire, but was cut?

And, while I don't think Okami's plan is to compete @ 205, in our outside of the UFC, its not like the UFC's LHW division is full of killers.

How he made 170 is beyond me...

When he looked like that

122_Weighins-GYI0062440762.jpg

Rich Franklin, Jon Fitch, Anderson Silva, and Luke Rockhold are all more talented fighters than Branch and OSP.
Wow got to disagree that you say more talented than Branch? Why because he wasn't on the big stage for his name and popularity to be known, he was a two division MW and LHW champion before Conor was. Luke Rockhold as talented as he is lost his UFC debut after being Strike Force MW champion. Its not unusual for debut fighters with good reputations else where lose UFC debut. David Branch is a great fighter and would destroy Franklin and Fitch, nearly knocked out Luke if his punches had a little more pop to them in the first round. Nobody knew about Justin Gaethje until he came to the UFC. Now people know hes a no joke fighter.

Okami never fought Rockhold. He did get KO's by Boetsch, who's a worse fighter than OSP. There's no way Boestch would go 5 rounds with Bader or any version of Jones.

The "Okami is a big guy" has been debunked on multiple threads already. He weighed 203.5 with regular shorts on. OSP weighted 206 and is getting heavier by the minute as I type this. There will be a big (20 pound+ difference) by tomorrow. You can't judge fighters' sizes well using the naked eye, especially when one is drained and the other doesn't cut weight.

No, but Branch did and Branch's performance vs. Rockhold was sited as an example of Branch's skill level.
And he was owning Boesch for 2 rounds before he went into berserker/ nothing to lose mode.
I don't think anybody ever said Okami was a big LHW, did they? He was a big 185'er and even stronger than he looks per many of his opponents.

I thought Okami was in WSOF/PFL...oh well, glad to see him back. He's a massive dude. I suppose I'm gonna see him take OSP down and grind him out. That's cool. I like Okami, even if he's a Fitch-esque fighter...yeah, I like Fitch too.

Wow got to disagree that you say more talented than Branch? Why because he wasn't on the big stage for his name and popularity to be known, he was a two division MW and LHW champion before Conor was. Luke Rockhold as talented as he is lost his UFC debut after being Strike Force MW champion. Its not unusual for debut fighters with good reputations else where lose UFC debut. David Branch is a great fighter and would destroy Franklin and Fitch, nearly knocked out Luke if his punches had a little more pop to them in the first round. Nobody knew about Justin Gaethje until he came to the UFC. Now people know hes a no joke fighter.
Actually, Conor did it first in Cage Warriors.

No, but Branch did and Branch's performance vs. Rockhold was sited as an example of Branch's skill level.
And he was owning Boesch for 2 rounds before he went into berserker/ nothing to lose mode.
I don't think anybody ever said Okami was a big LHW, did they? He was a big 185'er and even stronger than he looks per many of his opponents.

He's not even a big MW. He's tall. He may be strong. But you can't successfully cut to 170 for 2 years in your mid-30's if you're a big MW. Ask Chael, Rockhold, Bisping or Romero to do that.

Branch was seconds away from knocking Luke out if any of his punches had more power we wouldnt be talking about this. That has notrhing to do with skill has to do with Lukes chin being pretty good. Luke was out struck on the feet which is why it went to the ground. Luke drops his right hand a lot and thats a hole in his game he needs to fix before Bisping KOs him again

For the record, I'm not shitting on Branch, but winning a round against rusty Luke before he got owned isn't really an argument. A better striker would have ktfo Luke in that R1 exchange. Two division champs are all relative. Example: he just got finished by the UFC's #3 MW. Prime for prime I don't see him beating Rich Franklin. And we'll have to agree to disagree on Fitch.

I like Yushin but I don't see him winning this one, not even close.

Branch was seconds away from knocking Luke out if any of his punches had more power we wouldnt be talking about this. That has notrhing to do with skill has to do with Lukes chin being pretty good. Luke was out struck on the feet which is why it went to the ground. Luke drops his right hand a lot and thats a hole in his game he needs to fix before Bisping KOs him again
lol, Branch missed like 5/6 of those punches and the ones that landed had nothing on them. Bisping would have ended Luke's career in that same exchange.

This is a ballsy move by Okami, but I think it's a bad one. His clinch heavy style is pretty reliant on being the stronger, more physical man in the cage. There's no way that will be the case at LHW.
Okami is not that good. I dont mean to fighter bash but the only reason he is in the fight is because UFC couldnt find a Japanese LHW name other than him. Hes being given a gift to fight in his Country when UFC match makers know its a mismatch. OSP is going to knock okami silly.

lol, Branch missed like 5/6 of those punches and the ones that landed had nothing on them. Bisping would have ended Luke's career in that same exchange.
I said Rockholds chin is a good chin. Bisping caught Luke with a shot that would have rocked anybody, then followed up with many shots while Luke was down. Bisping is champion for a reason, he isn't a slouch that just happens to hold quite a few UFC records

took the words out of my mouth. did he get a usada exemption for this fight? i thought a former ufc fighter had to be in the testing pool for 6 months before fighting in the ufc again.
I dont think USADA testing pool is limited to only UFC fighters

He's not even a big MW. He's tall. He may be strong. But you can't successfully cut to 170 for 2 years in your mid-30's if you're a big MW. Ask Chael, Rockhold, Bisping or Romero to do that.

I didn't know that was a rule.

Back