Photobucket Is Holding Pics Hostage

Cheese

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I hadn't notice til today but photobucket changed they rules and now require you to pay 400 Dollars a yr to hotlink your pics to site like sherdog and shit. and you can't download them without paying either. WTF. Them terms of service changed on June 20th i guess.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919224/photobucket-broken-images-amazon-ebay-etsy-paid-update
https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919224/photobucket-broken-images-amazon-ebay-etsy-paid-update
any other site like photobucket other than imgur.

It all began last week when Photobucket announced in a short blog post that it had updated its terms of service that had begun taking effect from June 20th. Nowhere in the blog post did Photobucket highlight the most important change, which was that it will now cost uploaders $400 a year to insert their photos on another website using direct image links.

Photobucket, which launched in 2003, was previously free for all users to upload and embed images all over the web. It was a popular image hosting service of choice for early 2000s bloggers (think Xanga and LiveJournal) until the likes of Facebook and Instagram came along. Since then, it remained widely used by small businesses selling items through online marketplaces, offering 2GB of storage for free or $100 a year for 102GB of storage (the most popular paid plan, according to the service). The update to Photobucket’s ToS, however, means users are forced to upgrade to the most premium tier if they wish to hotlink.

I quit using them like in 2013 didn't trust the site. this is some borderline extortion.

Last edited:
I hadn't notice til today but photobucket changed they rules and now require you to pay 400 Dollars a yr to hotlink your pics to site like sherdog and shit. and you can't download them without paying either. WTF. Them terms of service changed on June 20th i guess.

any other site like photobucket other than imgur.

Stopped using it long ago. I just save pics to my laptop or phone, then upload them from there to my post. It works.

I have thousands of images stored stashed on a half dozen buckets.

This has been crappy news for me, but c'est la vie. It was a free service.

I've always hated photobucket.

Anyone know of a good free site for sharing photos?

Not a single reason to use that site over Imgur anyway

Not a single reason to use that site over Imgur anyway

I always hated the way Imgur embeds images, unless I'm doing something incorrectly. The framing is unnecessary and cumbersome.

I've always hated photobucket.

Anyone know of a good free site for sharing photos?

I toss throwaway images up on tinypic, but they have a size limit that is officially 5 megs but is actually smaller than that.

I toss throwaway images up on tinypic, but they have a size limit that is officially 5 megs but is actually smaller than that.

Yeah I never like Tinypic cause of that and I have the same problems with Imgur.

I had to ditch photobucket a couple weeks ago on account of this shit.

I took all my pics down from there.

Fuck those guys.

I always hated the way Imgur embeds images, unless I'm doing something incorrectly. The framing is unnecessary and cumbersome.
The only time I've seen framing on imgur is for videos . I use it and none of my pics have the white frame around them . My gifs don't either

I have a bunch of photos on an account there. Then I have another account just for my personal gifs. I keep meaning to download them and put them on a USB stick but never get to it

If it won't let you download them just open them and screen shot them .

Imgur is the way to go or an instagram or twitter

They already provide the embed link for you. Or you can use the direct URL, up to you. But if you just copy & paste the bb forum url they give you you'll be solid.

How long till photobucket disappears?

How long till photobucket disappears?

I don't see it lasting much longer. Commercial property will be the only ones that would pay that much for using it. Its a crazy high price

I have thousands of images stored stashed on a half dozen buckets.

This has been crappy news for me, but c'est la vie. It was a free service.

Are you able to view them? Maybe you can screenshot. It would be a pain in the ass, but at least you could save a few choice ones you really care about

Are you able to view them? Maybe you can screenshot. It would be a pain in the ass, but at least you could save a few choice ones you really care about

I can view and even download them if I want.

Not sure why people are saying you can't.

Check out the Who Here Has The Guts To Post Their Pic? thread, I have hundreds of pictures of people using PB links. Click one, and you can "save" it. It's my bucket and I have a functional download button, which may or not be available to others (I'd have to log out to check and I'm too lazy).

Here's the first link from that thread.

45ACP

im sure the incredulous cormier thread is just a 400 page photobucket ad now

I can view and even download them if I want.

Not sure why people are saying you can't.

Check out the Who Here Has The Guts To Post Their Pic? thread, I have hundreds of pictures of people using PB links. Click one, and you can "save" it. It's my bucket and I have a functional download button, which may or not be available to others (I'd have to log out to check and I'm too lazy).

Here's the first link from that thread.

45ACP

Can't see shit captain.

This is what I get when I click on your link:

scdGGOJ.png

If you can see it, and you can download, you might want to start doing that ASAP for the stuff you really want to keep. From what I can tell surfing around message boards about this topic, photobucket are rolling this shit out piecemeal. Kinda like instagram when they changed their timeline from chronological to algorithm (which sucks). Your ability to see your shit may not last long

Back