Philly's Soda Tax doubles price of products, Mayor claims it's price gouging.

Did the increase was proportional or not? without that data basically both sides could be right.

If the tax is 1 cent and my marging of profit was 50% then anythin over a 2 cent increase is indeed price gouging.

The vid shows the price and the math works out to exactly 1.5cent per ounce - so no price gauging. The stores are just showing customers why the price increase is occurring.

The city is a dumpster. It's poorly kept up it has awful pockets of poverty the people have very loose morals and an even worse standard of ethics. I used to date a girl there are every time I noticed the general perception of it's people is shitty.

We're going to disagree obviously. As a city, it has pockets of poverty but the overall it's no different from any other large metropolitan city.

I don't know what to say about the ethics element. Did you live there for a long time and when was this? And when you say the general perception of it's people is shitty, what do you mean?

I lived there for a bit and I didn't notice anything particular about it's ethics, although the phrase "philadelphia lawyer" is not always meant as a compliment.

We're going to disagree obviously. As a city, it has pockets of poverty but the overall it's no different from any other large metropolitan city.

I don't know what to say about the ethics element. Did you live there for a long time and when was this? And when you say the general perception of it's people is shitty, what do you mean?

I lived there for a bit and I didn't notice anything particular about it's ethics, although the phrase "philadelphia lawyer" is not always meant as a compliment.

Just my interaction with people from meeting them to regular customer service. I never lived there, I visited while my ex girlfriend was going to med school quite a bit. People from the city are generally looked at terribly because of what they do on a public level. From sports fans to just regular people, they just seem to hate everything else and everyone else. It's weird.

Well, nobody gives a shit that they tax the shit out of tobacco. Just a more popular product this time, so it will take a while for addictions to kick in and people keep buying it up.

Oh, and not too long before big black dudes start selling loose cans of pepsi on the street.

Well, you can decide if you want to work at a place with dangerous work environments as well, and you can still decide whether you want a soda with a vice tax on it, But I get your point.
My argument is more out of principle then anything else. I lived in NYC during the soda tax "experiment" and it was wildly unpopular, even in a liberal city, by both businesses and consumers. It didn't last long before it was crushed.

The positive for what you are suggesting is improved health. So while I am not a fan of government taxes on things deemed unhealthy, at least the outcome is good.

I'll put it this way; there are about a million other things I'd fight against that would take priority over this.

The city is a dumpster. It's poorly kept up it has awful pockets of poverty the people have very loose morals and an even worse standard of ethics. I used to date a girl there are every time I noticed the general perception of it's people is shitty.

Lots of great cultural aspects to the city. Music, cuisine, history, art. Sorry you missed out.

Back